Wearing mouthguard and cup for jiu jitsu?

First time a spazzing newb dives knee first into your balls and causes damage you'll switch to a cup.

I wear compression shorts with a built in cup. Got tired of crushing package when I armbarred, and it's just more comfortable in general.

Cup and mouthpiece. Every class. Teeth are expensive the fix. Been hit in the balls several times.

Headgear prevents cauliflower ear.
Mouthguard helps if roll gets aggressive.
Cup keeps your package safe and gives an advantageous lump for torquing armbars.

Also, I prefer others to wear a cup so I don't feel their junk at random times during a roll.

I wear a cup cause I would like to have my cash and prizes in good working order for a long time. I've just taken too many shots not to wear one. I keep it comfortable with Shock Doctor compression shorts, you barely know its there and it keeps everything together. Mouthguard I sometimes where when I free roll, it depends on how I'm feeling.

I should wear a cup but I don't.. and I only wear a mouth guard when I roll.

I wear a cup cause I would like to have my cash and prizes in good working order for a long time. I've just taken too many shots not to wear one. I keep it comfortable with Shock Doctor compression shorts, you barely know its there and it keeps everything together. Mouthguard I sometimes where when I free roll, it depends on how I'm feeling.

The Shock Doctor cup is very slim and doesn't seem to keep everything in place. I'm not trying to "compensate" for something, but I've found more comfort in Under Armour's overpriced cup.

I was in a tournament this last weekend, and wasn't wearing a cup for my first match.

I got nailed in the balls, and it really hurt for 15 minutes after the match. I still won, but damn, that hurt.

After that I put my cup on, and I was fine. I think cups are good for tourneys, but in practice, they can get annoying.

As for the mouth guard, I have literally chipped every tooth in the front part of my mouth, yet I still am not smart enough to wear one regularly. I don't like the way it constricts my breathing. I'll use it for takedown sessions, but for the most part, they are annoying.

I saw a guy spend 40 minutes rolling around in a corner at a gym because he got his nuts annihilated by someone trying to pass his guard.

I also have a filling in one of my front teeth and got it ripped out and had to pay $200 to get it replaced (lack of insurance at the time) when someone was cross-facing me. I wear both a mouth guard and a cup when I roll.

Also, I prefer others to wear a cup so I don't feel their junk at random times during a roll.

That too! While It doesn't bother me too much if I graze a willy mid-roll, I still come away with a bit of that icky feeling, you know?

Cup keeps your package safe and gives an advantageous lump for torquing armbars.

That's not cool. You can injure people like that. And you shouldn't be using your crotch for armbars, anyway. Pinch your knees together or draw it along your hip.

That's not cool. You can injure people like that. And you shouldn't be using your crotch for armbars, anyway. Pinch your knees together or draw it along your hip.

I think it's standard to pinch the knees and arch with the armbar. It's not dirty, it's like turning your body parallel when applying a triangle choke to tighten it.

The mouthguard is more important because if you get your teeth knocked out, you'll never get close enough to girls to use what your cup has been protecting.

I think it's standard to pinch the knees and arch with the armbar. It's not dirty, it's like turning your body parallel when applying a triangle choke to tighten it.

No...he's referring to using a cup as an extra fulcrum point. The problem with that is that it can cause the elbow to pop before any hip movement even occurs, well before most people need to tap. You tap to the hips being raised, not the fall into position. Using the cup as the fulcrum point is just dangerous.

The mouthguard is more important because if you get your teeth knocked out, you'll never get close enough to girls to use what your cup has been protecting.

[Starts slow clap.]

Nice.

No...he's referring to using a cup as an extra fulcrum point. The problem with that is that it can cause the elbow to pop before any hip movement even occurs, well before most people need to tap. You tap to the hips being raised, not the fall into position. Using the cup as the fulcrum point is just dangerous.

i understand what your saying, but a cup is needed, sometimes in the heat of a scramble when i catch an armbar its not going to be applied 100% perfect, meaning maybe some of my package is being crushed, the cup helps.

and you shouldnt be falling into position regardless, if your on top applying the armbar, you should be able to submit your opponent without your back on the ground in the sitting position (sitting on the shoulder of the arm your about to armbar)

Everyone in my gym uses both and I like it that way. I'd much rather have someones cup grinding up against me rather than have their junk in my face during a triangle.

Everyone in my gym uses both and I like it that way. I'd much rather have someones cup grinding up against me rather than have their junk in my face during a triangle.

Do you roll naked, or does the extra layer of plastic in addition to jock+gi pants or shorts mean that it's not gay if your head is in someone's crotch?

No way, screw that. Balls > everything else. I'm wearing my cup.

All pref in my book. I personally never have used either. Ive never used a cup for any sport just because i dont find it comfortable. And i know that in some if not all tourneys cups are not allowed to be worn.
Mouth guards though seem like a necessity to me after getting messed up not to long ago and it could have been prevented.

Focusing on the cup...
I myself like i said cant stand wearing them, i dont mind people wearing them but some people use them intentionally to have an edge on people which is salty and cheap but hey what ever. If you feel comfortable not wearing a cup then by all means, but i have seen many people get hurt due to not wearing one.

i understand what your saying, but a cup is needed, sometimes in the heat of a scramble when i catch an armbar its not going to be applied 100% perfect, meaning maybe some of my package is being crushed, the cup helps.

and you shouldnt be falling into position regardless, if your on top applying the armbar, you should be able to submit your opponent without your back on the ground in the sitting position (sitting on the shoulder of the arm your about to armbar)

A cup should only be needed for incidental contact. If you're still pulling the armbar in training even tho you've got bad technique going and have to use the cup to bail you out, then you're cheating yourself and your training partner.

#1, you're letting yourself off the hook by being ok with bad technique.
#2, you're negating his defensive technique by using a lump of plastic to grind against his elbow.

Instead, you should correct your form or let it go and transition to something else. Don't use a crutch... just get better.

Back