Crime What did the cops do wrong today. Vol. 1

That's not true. It's not some sort of legal requirement. Union members (at least in private sector unions) have to vote in majority agreement in order to enter arbitration on behalf of any individual member. I've seen the vote go against a terminated union member more than once.

My understanding is that the union must file a first grievance for the terminated worker.

What usually happens is the company says no, they're still fired - the next step in the process is to hire an arbitrator to settle the matter and that is only done if the union thinks it has a reasonable chance to win with an arbitrator.

So... just what I said to begin with? The guy lost control of the line between cop and parent and probably should not be a cop. I was already on board with that, but for some reason you need me to go all the way to "people could have been killed, he's the sum of the earth" and blah blah blah. Nobody was hurt, was even close, he didn't attempt it, but the guy's a bad cop whose emotions got the better of him and he abused his authority, so he shouldn't have that authority anymore.

I think you're being dismissive of how dangerous any situation is when a gun is involved. A large part of police training focuses on how a gun drastically changes any interaction. If they were in a library and the cop was plainclothes and he told the kid he would "throw you in jail if you ever touch my daughter," that would be blurring the lines between cop and parent. But arresting someone for no reason, promising to make up charges, and threatening an innocent bystander with jail isn't normal for parents or cops.

I think we generally agree. Perhaps I was being too aggressive with you earlier. I just think the presence of a gun makes it a very dangerous situation when the kid has no reason to comply. Most situations in which a cop shoots someone starts with that person's non-compliance, and this cop gave an 18 year old kid reason to not comply.

My understanding is that the union must file a first grievance for the terminated worker.

What usually happens is the company says no, they're still fired - the next step in the process is to hire an arbitrator to settle the matter and that is only done if the union thinks it has a reasonable chance to win with an arbitrator.

Unions do not have to represent all employees in all grievances. But the union should agree at least to investigate your complaint and, depending on how strong the union representative feels your case is, decide whether to file a grievance and how far it will go in representing you in the grievance procedure.

If you have been fired and the union has not yet decided whether to file a grievance, you should consider putting your grievance request in writing, especially before the grievance deadline expires.

https://legalaidatwork.org/factsheet/labor-unions-duty-of-fair-representation/

Well I hope his daughter is proud of herself. Sbe managed to get her father fired after 26 years of service.

He was blowing hot air in an effort to intimidate the kid. That's literally something cops are trained to do; take advantage of people's ignorance of their rights if it allows them to more effectively achieve their goal (which is justice/peace).

Disown the daughter imo. Bang a new young girl. Raise a new daughter.

As much as any union would. That's why you pay union dues.

OMG, the union is trying to fulfill their end!! Unions ought to be abolished!

1. Is it the job of unions to protest every firing? To defend any kind of behavior? I think a police union should maintain a high, professional standard of behavior from its members. No doubt they should stand up for members during the process in which facts are being established, etc. But appealing a case like this seems bad for society.
2. I would be fine with the abolition or weakening of police unions. I think they are part of why the police in our country have a culture wherein they feel they can abuse power with impunity.

1. Is it the job of unions to protest every firing? To defend any kind of behavior?
I won't defend a position I never took.
2. I would be fine with the abolition or weakening of police unions. I think they are part of why the police in our country have a culture wherein they feel they can abuse power with impunity.
How nice for you.
I grow tired of trying to converse with people who attribute qualities to an entire group that are found among a minority of that group.
Like black people. Or "the media". Or Republicans, or Catholic priests, or environmentalists.

Well I hope his daughter is proud of herself. Sbe managed to get her father fired after 26 years of service.
Yea... Totally his daughters fault for his dereliction of duty.

Maybe he should have thought about them 26 years before allowing himself to be caught on camera being a shitty cop.

All he did was guarantee his daughter dates his worst nightmare.

I won't defend a position I never took.

How nice for you.
I grow tired of trying to converse with people who attribute qualities to an entire group that are found among a minority of that group.
Like black people. Or "the media". Or Republicans, or Catholic priests, or environmentalists.

For every instance like this, where a union (Teachers and cops especially) gets involved in a relatively cut and dry case and gives public employee unions a "bad name", there are many, many more where a PEU successfully defends a member against a hit job from a disgruntled citizen. There are plenty of teachers and cops in unions who need that protection from frivolous crap.

lol.. what a shitty father... raise your daughter right and the eggplant won't be saluting the pigeon head..

Where is @Seano to tell us that this cop obviously prevented a robbery cuz black dudes drive cars on their way to commit crimes.
And keeping with the theme, I have been noticing on Yahoo comments, that everytime a White person does something bad to a Black person, lots of commenters claim "we don't know the whole story" or "the media is leaving out stuff " or "there has to be more to the story"

If I were a cop and had my daughter dating some dude I might be tempted to do the same thing just to send a message to the creep. I'd smash his taillight and explain to him that if he harms my daughter it won't just be the taillight I'll smash. It will be his skull.
So daughters shouldn't date any guys, they should just accept arranged marriage?

Daughters can date. They just have to wait until they are 30.
Obligatory meme is obligatory

tenor.gif

That's not true. It's not some sort of legal requirement. Union members (at least in private sector unions) have to vote in majority agreement in order to enter arbitration on behalf of any individual member. I've seen the vote go against a terminated union member more than once.
Depends on the Union. I've entered into arbitration without the membership even being aware.

OK, now we're off in the weeds. Cops always have a gun on their hip, this wasn't specific to this interaction. The kid would have broken the law whether he was punching a cop or his girlfriend's dad. You don't know if the dad had reason to believe the kid was a drug dealer and wanted to search the car, if his daughter was fucked up on something when she left, all we really know is apparently the dad didn't know where his daughter was. You don't know any of the people in this story but seem to have filled in the blanks yourself here when there are a lot of things that would make a difference one way or the other. The guy probably shouldn't be a cop, but we don't need to pretend he was on the verge of murder or even threatening to kill people.
Ninja please.

<{CMPALM}>

I can understand his frustration. Maybe he (or the mother) failed as parents or maybe they were just unable to undo the progressive brainwashing propaganda children are bombarded with.

Back