What do you Sherbros do for a Living?

Head Grower at a large scale cannabis producer in Canada.

Get paid a killer salary to grow plants all day.

99% C#.

I did the whole project by myself while working full time. Was so determined to make it. I was still learning C#, comp sci, patterns etc while making it. Very hectic time in my life.
awesome
I have a similar goal but I am pretty new at programming and coding. O have experience with python and js and some of it's frameworks. O also have toyed around with unity and unreal. would you recommend c# above those other languages for making a passion project/hobby game?

sorry if it's a dumb question I am still learning

edit sorry about the os I posted from mobile and my thumbs are too fat

Last edited:
awesome
I have a similar goal but I am pretty new at programming and coding. O have experience with python and js and some of it's frameworks. O also have toyed around with unity and unreal. would you recommend c# above those other languages for making a passion project/hobby game?

sorry if it's a dumb question I am still learning

edit sorry about the os I posted from mobile and my thumbs are too fat

C# and Unity is my recommendation. It will streamline your path to game-dev-dom more than any other option.

Avoid frameworks and toolkits besides that, learn the fundamentals.

The taxes worry me when I think of a move from DFW to California, but moving from Texas to California would be going against the grain for sure.

very true, i was thinking more about all those sexy skonk projects (E3 in a past life)

C# and Unity is my recommendation. It will streamline your path to game-dev-dom more than any other option.

Avoid frameworks and toolkits besides that, learn the fundamentals.
yea from a developer side really the only people I see with c language experience are computer science majors. but most don't use it at all. although the knowledge (or fundamentals ) do trickle down.

but as my boot camp is not video game centric but employable skill centric I was thinking that was skewing the metric.

how was learning C#? I saw you were a software dev. were you a compsci major in uni?

yea from a developer side really the only people I see with c language experience are computer science majors. but most don't use it at all. although the knowledge (or fundamentals ) do trickle down.

but as my boot camp is not video game centric but employable skill centric I was thinking that was skewing the metric.

how was learning C#? I saw you were a software dev. were you a compsci major in uni?

No school, self taught on all fronts, started with Basic at 15, didn't pick up OOP and JS until 25. Moved onto C# / comp sci / OOP etc after that.

If you're good at sourcing and synthesizing core information yourself - I would suggest learning by yourself instead of picking up courses.

No school, self taught on all fronts, started with Basic at 15, didn't pick up OOP and JS until 25. Moved onto C# / comp sci / OOP etc after that.

If you're good at sourcing and synthesizing core information yourself - I would suggest learning by yourself instead of picking up courses.
thanks for the info

Just realised I didn't really answer your question sorry.

C# was very hard for me because I had to get OOP into my head.. that was the hard part, moving from writing scripts to designing architecture for and building software is a huge jump. Got stuck on it for 6 months before it started to click.
Once it's in it is really quite simple, but just learning to structure these abstract concepts in my head and then relate them to text on the screen was hard, and I believe it's the hardest part for most people.

Starting by really honing in on OOP and the basics of data structures is something I recommend.
You should aim to not stutter when someone asks you to explain what a variable is from the text on screen down to the metal in the case.

If you understand those well then you can pick up new languages and frameworks significantly easier, as they are core concepts in many approaches to creating software these days.

As an example - I would say C# took me 2 solid years before I felt I could call myself a Dev and really produce decent stuff by myself.
Subsequently, python took me less than a month to pick up and do senior level work with.
I then picked up JS, threejs and NodeJS in under a week and made my personal website, from which I get a lot of work, and clients often say they are impressed by it from a technical standpoint.

TL;DR - learn core concepts like OOP really well, instead of focusing on just language. Learn the relationship between the commands you write and the hardware it's affecting. It will make you exponentially better in the long run.

I'm your friendly greeter, until an asshole shows up, and then I exit them from the premises on their face or their ass, depending on how much of a threat they are.

Train driver (engineer) as you Colonials call it. Kind of ended up doing it by accident. Never was an ambition of mine but I don't work very hard , pay is decent , I go home early rather often and perks are decent . Plus I'm not going to climb a clock tower and start shooting unlike if I had qualified as a lawyer..
Me to, but I'm transferring to a new job at my work on the waterfront. Been an engineer for 10 years now.

Back