What does feminism mean?

1: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
2: organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests
tenor.gif

Its almost like people on a political subforum might be interested in discussing one of the most iconic and consequential political movements of the last hundred years. How strange that is...

Maybe you misunderstood. Whining about women beating up men in comic book movies is not a valid criticism of feminism. Neither is calling them ugly and making fun of their hair. Or accusing them of just hating men because of their ex boyfriends. This is the typically level of discussion we get on here. This thread is like making a thread called, "What do you think about Muslims?" It's a set-up for angry people to vent about something they probably don't really understand or have any personal connection to outside of a Youtube video they watched from some whacky commentator.

I weighed in on the subject, and then gave my opinion on people who scour the internet seeking things to be upset over. I think that is a real problem in society right now. Find something to be outraged over, then post it and try to make other people outraged. For example, when feminism comes up on this board it's pretty much always some form of insult or outrage, not some well-meaning intellectual conversation.
If by, "pretty much always" you mean, "every single fucking time", then I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Its almost like people on a political subforum might be interested in discussing one of the most iconic and consequential political movements of the last hundred years. How strange that is...
There is a difference between actual critical discussion and examination, and what happens here. I'm sure you know that.

Last edited:
Maybe you misunderstood. Whining about women beating up men in comic book movies is not a valid criticism of feminism. Neither is calling them ugly and making fun of their hair. Or accusing them of just hating men because of their ex boyfriends. This is the typically level of discussion we get on here. This thread is like making a thread called, "What do you think about Muslims?" It's a set-up for angry people to vent about something they probably don't really understand or have any personal connection to outside of a Youtube video they watched from some whacky commentator.
Sure that happens but there is also criticism of feminism as it manifests itself in academia and politics such as the Women's March.
There isa difference between actual critical discussion and examination, and what happens here. I'm sure you know that.
But that's the case with almost any topic though, whether its feminism or Islamism or white supremacy or Christianity etc. You have a number of troglodyte posters who shit out their canned responses("the left is eating itself", "different culture, hard to judge" etc) and then a smaller number of posters who take the topic more seriously and discuss it with more depth.

Sure that happens but there is also criticism of feminism as it manifests itself in academia and politics such as the Women's March.

But that's the case with almost any topic though, whether its feminism or Islamism or white supremacy or Christianity etc. You have a number of troglodyte posters who shit out their canned responses("the left is eating itself", "different culture, hard to judge" etc) and then a smaller number of posters who take the topic more seriously and discuss it with more depth.
Sure, but when have you seen a overall reasonable discussion about feminism on these boards?

It's right there with Liberals, and Islam. It's all demonization by the clown patrol.

Sure, but when have you seen a overall reasonable discussion about feminism on these boards?

It's right there with Liberals, and Islam. It's all demonization by the clown patrol.
Sometimes. Like I said, any thread on the topic will have the goofs out in force shitting out canned replies but we do also get more thoughtful discussion by a minority of posters. Feminism is a particularly polarizing issue, one where many have very different starting points from which to discuss it so OP asking what it means to us is a fair question to tease out the gaps in our understanding of the movement.

You keep framing this negatively and refuse to acknowledge that to some people this is simply an opportunity to talk about feminism. I recommend that you ignore the "angry people" so the rest of us don't have to keep hearing about them.

Last edited:
An internet meme and scapegoat for guys who can't get laid or are insecure about their own masculinity.

The word feminism get used quite a bit in posts on the forum, and i think many of us have varying views as to what it actually means, so:
What do you believe the meaning of feminism is? What's it all about?
It means that women should be treated equal under the law. Whether or not women actually are equal, they should be treated equal.

Gotcha. If by feminism you mean women should have political rights and social dignity equal to men, then I wholeheartedly agree with you. I disagree that pointing out the radicalism and unhealthiness of much of what today's so-called feminism is whining. I'd call it fighting for the soul of true feminism.
Fuck that let them have it. Do normal women even need that anymore? Call it womanism. Better to not even have a word at all for it. Did men ever have or need masculinism? lol well maybe nowadays we might.

The second biggest cause of Sherdog outrage.

See, I have no idea what "modern feminism" is, and I don't know who Camille Paglia is. I never took a women's studies class, and I don't watch Youtube videos related to politics. I guess I'm just not in the loop. But when I think of feminism, I don't think of any radical, I just think of showing mutual respect and treating people with dignity. Basically, what was written in post #5.

You know how often I'm bombarded by feminism? Never. So I don't really understand why people on forums like this whine about it so much. It has never entered my life in a negative way, ever. I can't help but think that people on this forum seek out things to hate.

If you’re American or Canadian, it has. You might not have been able to recognize it as feminism. The work of Simone de Beauvoir, Friedan, Millet, et al, has had considerable impact on sex roles and the family, and is now culiminating in what’s called gender ideology. You can see the effect of feminist ideology (women in the workforce, abortion, etc) and technology (specifically contraception) has had on the population (we are not reproducing at sustainable rates), which has led to a huge influx of third world immigration.

This is a decent article on the earlier mentioned matter:https://www.heritage.org/gender/rep...-origin-the-culture-wars-intellectual-history

If you’re American or Canadian, it has. You might not have been able to recognize it as feminism. The work of Simone de Beauvoir, Friedan, Millet, et al, has had considerable impact on sex roles and the family, and is now culiminating in what’s called gender ideology. You can see the effect of feminist ideology (women in the workforce, abortion, etc) and technology (specifically contraception) has had on the population (we are not reproducing at sustainable rates), which has led to a huge influx of third world immigration.

This is a decent article on the earlier mentioned matter:https://www.heritage.org/gender/rep...-origin-the-culture-wars-intellectual-history

Women choosing to work is not a negative. Women who do not want children, choosing not to have children, is not a negative. These are all positives. If you do not want children then you should absolutely not be having children. Birth control is a good thing, people should not be having children that do not want children yet.

There is no way to paint allowing women to actually make decisions regarding their own lives as a negative. Saying that feminism leads to low birth rates, and low birth rates leads to 3rd world immigration just seems like a roundabout way to complain about immigrants again. I don't buy that at all.

Women choosing to work is not a negative. Women who do not want children, choosing not to have children, is not a negative. These are all positives. If you do not want children then you should absolutely not be having children. Birth control is a good thing, people should not be having children that do not want children yet.

There is no way to paint allowing women to actually make decisions regarding their own lives as a negative. Saying that feminism leads to low birth rates, and low birth rates leads to 3rd world immigration just seems like a roundabout way to complain about immigrants again. I don't buy that at all.

Whether or not these are good things or “positives” is not the point. The point was to show the poster the impact of feminism even in his life. Likewise for the point about immigration: It was not a complaint about third world immigration. It was to demonstrate the impact that birth control and women’s entry into the workforce has had. There are other reasons to be concerned with a low birth rate and high rates of third world immigration, particularly in regards to cultural loss, takeover and conflict, but they’re not relevant to my point.

That aside, I don’t know why anyone should agree with your conclusions here, because you didn’t offer any argument. You simply characterize these things as goods and positives, and that’s fine if you’re reporting your opinion, but I don’t know why this would be taken as any reason to agree, nor even a challenge to those with whom you disagree.

Whether or not these are good things or “positives” is not the point. The point was to show the poster the impact of feminism even in his life. Likewise for the point about immigration: It was not a complaint about third world immigration. It was to demonstrate the impact that birth control and women’s entry into the workforce has had. There are other reasons to be concerned with a low birth rate and high rates of third world immigration, particularly in regards to cultural loss, takeover and conflict, but they’re not relevant to my point.

That aside, I don’t know why anyone should agree with your conclusions here, because you didn’t offer any argument. You simply characterize these things as goods and positives, and that’s fine if you’re reporting your opinion, but I don’t know why this would be taken as any reason to agree, nor even a challenge to those with whom you disagree.

So not only does feminism cause 3rd world immigration, it also causes "culture loss, takeover, and conflict"? Yeah, when I saw the brand new account I kinda knew where this was heading.

Women should be able to decide that they want to work, and they should be able to decide whether or not they want to have children. That is called freedom, and it is absolutely a positive.

Back