What is going on w/ the UFC matchmaking?

Do you have your UFC Hot Dog brander ready?

ufc-hot-dog-brander_pi1772000_ff_1772433_xl.jpg
You know I do, sweetheart

My theory is that they are doing this so that when top contenders do fight each other, it will be enough to throw in the main event on ppv and charge fans for non-title fights. See Dustin Vs Justin 2 headlining for a fake belt…

I don’t mind building fights, rebuilding fights or even stay active match ups. Historically the ufc hasn’t shown much interest in these kinds of fights.

I think that is a strength of boxing to be honest. The primes of their best guys seem to stretch out a lot longer than the UFC’s best. We get to see them in action a lot more and get watch the showcase of their skills.

I get the UFC’s pitch, though. The best fighting the best more frequently leading to exciting fights at a more frequent clip. They also don’t want to risk letting a no name ruin one of their elite guys. In recent years, it’s lead to immediate rematches as the talent pool isn’t what it used to be.

Are we on the path to boxing style booking? What is going on at the UFC?

They have #8 Arman Tsarukyan fighting the #57th ranked guy at lightweight in Joaquim Silva. They couldn't find someone in the top 50? Renato Moicano is right there at #10. Not to mention Matt Frevola, Thiago Moises, Diego Ferreira, Drew Dober, Drakkar Klose, Mark Madsen, Gregor Gillespie, Nasrat Haqparast & Paddy Pimblett all in the top 25 without a fight currently booked.
View attachment 984091
View attachment 984092

They have #6 Sean Strickland fighting #50 Abus Magomedov and #10 Paulo Costa fighting #25 Ikram Aliskerov, when they could have fought each other instead. Also, #7 Roman Dolidze & #9 Derek Brunson (if not retired) are available inside the top 10, not to mention Jack Hermansson, Kelvin Gastelum, Caio Borralho & Anthony Hernandez all inside the top 20 without a fight currently booked.
View attachment 984093
View attachment 984095

View attachment 984094
View attachment 984096

I know some of the alternative names I mentioned just fought recently, but there are plenty of other options. What do you make of this matchmaking? Is this something you think we'll see more of going forward or is something else causing this? What are your thoughts?

*Also, note that these rankings were pulled from Tapology and list all fighters from all promotions and aren't necessarily where the UFC might have some of these talents ranked internally.

I love tapology as a site but the rankings are fucking retarded.

I'd recommend using Fightmatrix.

I love tapology as a site but the rankings are fucking retarded.

I'd recommend using Fightmatrix.

Thanks! I'll check that out. Also, I'm glad you commented, I've been thinking about your boy, the guy in your PFP and I can't for the life of me remember his name...when is he supposed to make his UFC debut?! does he have a fight scheduled yet. I remember you sharing some fight vids of him before and I'm looking forward to his debut.

Thanks! I'll check that out. Also, I'm glad you commented, I've been thinking about your boy, the guy in your PFP and I can't for the life of me remember his name...when is he supposed to make his UFC debut?! does he have a fight scheduled yet. I remember you sharing some fight vids of him before and I'm looking forward to his debut.

Shara Bullet (Magomedov).

My feeling is he debuts on the Abu Dhabi card.

Awesome, thank you! I'm going to sear that into my memory.

This is a pretty decent video that was uploaded relatively recently on him, gives background on his career and let's you see how he's developed a bit.

Back