What is the most painful submission hold?

Shogun187x

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, let me get this out of the way first, every submission hold hurts. I've been put in pretty much all of them and vice versa in my grappling class. But in my opinion, the one that would have to hurt the most is the heel hook. A close second is probably the kimura.

The thing with the heel hook is that it requires the least amount of pressure for it to hurt. I don't know if anyone here has been caught in it, but you get a tingling feeling in your heel/ankle that general area that feels like it's about to rip apart.

What are your two cents in regards to the most painful submission hold ?

Ya, heel hooks sucks. The thing about the human body is, body parts are only made to move so far. Elbows. shoulders, and ankles can move a beyond their normal range of motion (At least, that's what I think).

In that regard, i feel that the kneebar is the most painful submission. Next would have to be the armbar, and then the heelhook.

The one that hurts the most is the one that does permanent damage. You cant necessarily say One is the most painful because different people have varying flexibility and pain threshholds.

Well it used to be a can opener, but after I heard Bas say "[No one should tap to a straight ankle lock, it's just pain and you're not at risk for bodily damage]" I thought about it and found he was right and now I never tap to it, least not in competition. Thing is though, it starts to hurt like holy hell after someones been cranking on it for a good 15 seconds. It never fully goes away either, sticks with you all through practice.

Body Count said:
Well it used to be a can opener, but after I heard Bas say "[No one should tap to a straight ankle lock, it's just pain and you're not at risk for bodily damage]" I thought about it and found he was right and now I never tap to it, least not in competition. Thing is though, it starts to hurt like holy hell after someones been cranking on it for a good 15 seconds. It never fully goes away either, sticks with you all through practice.

either you heard bas wrong/missunderstood bas or bas is confusing the straight ankle lock with the achilles lock.

pollo loco said:
Bicep/Calf slicer...

Yup.
Also, every time I have been heel hooked, it is my knee that hurt, not my ankle.

Kneebars and heel hooks are so painful.

Body Count said:
Doesn't the can opener cause permanent damage to the neck? I thought that's why most grappling tourneys have banned it. BTW, I'd say that heel hooks are the most painful. I absolutely hate 'em.

Bicep Slicer. Heel hooks don't hurt..they shatter your leg before they hurt.

Back