What will MMA's Infamous "No Mas" Moment be?

I know who’s not going to No Mas though, Artem.

Well, he’s starts taunting him round 7. That’s I guess more middle of the fight. Duran quit in 8. He was ahead on all 3 scorecards.

I think Duran was definitelty a better fighter, but sugar ray is a legend and was better that day.

duran is recognized by pretty much every boxing authority there is, to be the greatest lightweight of all time...and he's been in some wars...so obviously what he did wasn't cause he's a coward...I think he was just fed up with leonard...you can tell by his gestures, he was tired of his taunting.

It was a very close fight, Leonard just fought duran’s fight. The post I responded to implied it wasn’t close.

I haven't seen that fight in so long...it was close...but duran was able to fight his fight...leonard in his prime was an all time great...and duran's best weight was at LW...by moving up and beating one of the best ever, says alot.

Lol, calm down there son. Everyone, watch out, it’s the thread police :rolleyes:

I wasn’t implying that the situation was literally the same, just giving an example of a fighter that mentally broke and then quit the game, which is part of what we were discussing. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ronda just quit, had she survived that round.

The closest I can think of is this guy that fought MVP. Literally quit in the middle of the fight without getting hit, out of embarrassment, or frustration or something. But then again, he was a can.

This has to be the closest thing. Most of these are ridiculous comparisons where the guy folded after a serious beating. The point is that Duran wasn't really getting hit. But that's part of the reason you wouldn't see it in mma.

For one, someone like Leonard can shamelessly circle without engaging for minutes at a time, then throw some bullshit flurry and act like he won the round. Especially when the crowd is already on his side. Also, there is way less the Duran can do to "mix it up". In mma, you could start spamming takedowns or leg kicks against someone like Elias. And even if he keeps circling you're not gonna quit because there won't be the same perception that he's winning in mma.

Which is why you can name several of these in boxing that are closer to the "no mas" moment than anything in mma. Off the top of my head...

Lomachenko-Rigondeaux
Lomachenko-Walters
Hatton-Tszyu
Holyfield-Tyson 2

Who gives a shit about those two punchy bitches, they were playing a game called punch punch, leonard got pissed and quit, its hard to quit in mma unless you're fighting a pussy style you generally get your shit pushed in, too much fight iq involved in real fighting mma you can grapple mix it up and show that violence instead of getting frustrated by punches

Who gives a shit about those two punchy bitches, they were playing a game called punch punch, leonard got pissed and quit, its hard to quit in mma unless you're fighting a pussy style you generally get your shit pushed in, too much fight iq involved in real fighting mma you can grapple mix it up and show that violence instead of getting frustrated by punches
hey alright

In 1980, "Manos de Piedra", none other than Roberto Durant himself had just beaten Sugar Ray Leonard in a masterclass, an absolutely career defying performance.( He moved up from LW to WW to take on the undefeated at the time Leonard)

Duran landed vicious shots to the body and bobbed and weaved all night long while getting inside and brutalizing Sugar Ray with lighting quick combinations leaving his face nearly decapitated after the 12 long rounds were up.

In fact, the beating was so bad, that Sugar Ray Leonard's wife fainted in the 7th Round and if I'm not mistaken didn't get up until the fight was over. Duran had been trash talking Ray throughout the entire lead up to the fight , talking about his wife, family, and even after the fight he grabbed his crotch and called Sugar a P**** which pissed off Sugar's brother who charged at Duran and caught a right hand from Roberto, lol, the savagery.

Duran was such a savage that he knocked out a horse, yes an actual horse just for a bet with a man at a bar. The guy would have foam on the corners of his mouth, ready to eat you alive like a cannibal in there. Absolutely terrifying human being..

Moving on...

Shortly after their first fight, the rematch was booked and just 5 months later, the two were scheduled to throw down again.

In the rematch,
Sugar Ray completely dominated Duran for 8 rounds. He also taunted him at times with Ali shuffles, sticking his neck out, and even did a fake bolo punch which ended up being a jab right to Duran's nose. Duran was completely shook, baffled and embarrassed like no ones ever seen before - people were even laughing at him, enjoying that Leonard was mocking him. Not only that, but In the closing seconds of the 8th round, Manos de Piedra turned his back to Leonard, lifted his right hand and told the ref "NO MAS".

The bully of boxing, the scariest man alive, the savage of savages, the one guy you most certainly would always expect to go out on his shield, did the unthinkable, he turned his back on the sport, tucked his tail between his legs, and QUIT.

Which leads me to my question,
Which similar guy in MMA can you see one day just flat out quitting?

NATE?????
Elkins?
Gaethje??
TONY??

Will we have a NO MAS MMA moment in our lifetime?
Thanks, TS for the story. I remember when the fight happened but was too young to comprehend the entire story. We all just knew that Duran was the man, and couldn't believe it.

Missed BJ quitting on the stool didn't you
His corner stopped it

That is why more corners don't stop fights because the fighters gets the shit for quitting when it was the corner that stopped it.

Then sherdoggers cry about why corners don't protect fighters --- then turn around and call fighters quitters.

Lol, calm down there son. Everyone, watch out, it’s the thread police :rolleyes:

I wasn’t implying that the situation was literally the same, just giving an example of a fighter that mentally broke and then quit the game, which is part of what we were discussing. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ronda just quit, had she survived that round.

The closest I can think of is this guy that fought MVP. Literally quit in the middle of the fight without getting hit, out of embarrassment, or frustration or something. But then again, he was a can.

I can't stand Ronda! But she would never quit IN the cage. You shoehorned in a TERRIBLE example just as an excuse to bring up Ronda. It was by far the worst example you could have used

His corner stopped it

That is why more corners don't stop fights because the fighters gets the shit for quitting when it was the corner that stopped it.

Then sherdoggers cry about why corners don't protect fighters --- then turn around and call fighters quitters.

Don't be a dumbass! Penn 100% quit. His corner asked him like 5 times if he wanted to keep going and Penn put his head down and ignored them. Penn quit! He didn't want to say i but he obviously quit.

Last edited:
Rory folding against Robbie, it's like he just couldn't stand any more pain.

His nose was completely shattered yet he kept taking strikes until he couldn't take it anymore. He did quit because of the pain but you have to understand not a man alive would stay in the fight longer than that with such an injury.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FatLastAmphibian-size_restricted.gif
FatLastAmphibian-size_restricted.gif

Penn quitting on the stool and then bringing his mommy to say the fight wasn’t fair has to be worse than No Mas
I find GSP greasing to win against smaller opponent way worse. Not saying he won cuz of it but he wasnt greasing between rounds to moisturize his body.

He broke mentally and stopped responding to their questions. make no mistake about it, he quit

It's actually pretty amusing..

Story is, and several posters keep reminding us Roberto probably didn't actually say "No Mas".

and Penn fans are saying the same thing.

They both quit cuz they didn't want more.

Last edited:
Back