What will MMA's Infamous "No Mas" Moment be?

Yeah one took a beating and quit from damage and the other quit from frustration
Absolutely

Which is why I wonder if we'll see something like that in mma. Considering the status and reputation of Duran prior to that moment.

He was the laughingstock of the MMA world from that point on, until he really started to go down hill, and instead of laughing at him people just forgot about him.
yeah, right.

he came back after the second GSP fight and fought florian, who penn's detractors thought would beat him because he took such a bad loss against GSP. he owned florian and showed everyone he's the king at 155. when he fought and clowned diego a while later, he was quite literally considered to be one of the best lightweights ever by pretty much everyone, except complete fucking fools. saying he was the laughingstock of the MMA world is wishful thinking, he was praised by everyone left and right for completely dominating and finishing top LW contenders. he was working with the marinovich brothers at the time and seemed to finally have his shit in order, training year round, not partying, actually working on his cardio... everyone and their mom was infatuated with him.

even his first loss to frankie was highly controversial. i remember reading sherdog's official pbp and it said something along the lines of "the scores are read, and they are shocking. 50-45 edgar" - penn won the first 2 rounds and quite possibly the third one, but a judge gave all 5 to frankie.

penn's decline started when he fought lethargically against frankie in the rematch. he showed glimpses of brilliance against fitch and hughes, but was well on his way out. he's the laughingstock now, getting restraining orders from his girl and fighting bouncers. but around the GSP fight? dude was considered an MMA god, despite the loss and the stupidity that followed.

It sounds as if someone needs to watch the fight, again. Griffin had enough and wanted no more.

I watched it just now. Griffin was grappling for air like Schaub was after Rothwell knocked him out. That's not tapping out; that's being knocked out.

Yes, Griffin was outclassed, yes, his heart was no longer in the fight at that point, and yes, he ran out of the stadium as soon as he could. But he lost the fight because he was knocked out, and he was coming forward swinging literally until the end.

Meh, Duran partied his face off after the first fight and gained over 25lbs in a couple months, some people said 50lbs
He thought that Ray Leonard won this one, there is no point for him to try in his current condition and that he would prepare for a rubber match

Ray Leonard said he knew about Duran’s weight and partying which is why he called for an immediate rematch, the rubber match never materialized in that sense, when they finally met they were both well beyond their primes in 89, Duran’s career started 21 years prior.

So this isn’t a “quitting” in the normal sense we are used to, it’s not like he was scared of Ray Leonard or was getting hurt, he just thought he lost the fight and didnt see a point to continue with a rematch in mind

Duran also went on to fight until 2001, fighting killers all along the way

135_Ronda_Rousey_vs_Holly_Holm.0.0.0.jpg

How about Crocop vs Takada?
Mirko was so fed up by Takada's butt scooting, it looked like he was about to walk out of the ring... that fight isn't even included in the PRIDE dvd of the event.
That's the closest from the OP's example I can think of.

BJ Penn surrendering between rounds after his whole "I'm going to try to kill you George and I'm not joking about it" & "To teh death!!" shtick was hilarious, and both Penn and his fanbase never recovered from that traumatic incident...
But since BJ was losing the fight it doesn't count as a "No Mas" like OP meant I think.

Depends on how new you are to the sport.

To veterans, BJ Penn quitting in the corner against GSP is pretty much the definition of that.

Askren whispered " NO MAS - VIDAL" while going to heaven

Didnt some Gracie turn and try to walk away in the middle of the fight? He wasn't high profile but I remember it was shocking and the whole Gracie family was outraged at his cowardice. Someone help me remember who it was.

Back