• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What will MMA's Infamous "No Mas" Moment be?

Racquel Pennington not wanting to continue in the 5th round against Nunes even tho her corner was begging her to
Corner should have stopped it. There was nothing to be gained by sending her back out there.

Only because Penn fans were crazy. There was zero argument for Penn winning rounds 2 or 3 and even round 1 was closer than people remember. Penn did most of his damage from an eye poke

I’d have to watch again. I recall rd 1 easily being BJs. Inflicting damage and busting GSP up. I don’t recall GSP doing much the entire fight other than takedowns and better position. BJ gassed hard. Again, I haven’t seen it in forever. This is from a GSP fan too.

I’d have to watch again. I recall rd 1 easily being BJs. Inflicting damage and busting GSP up. I don’t recall GSP doing much the entire fight other than takedowns and better position. BJ gassed hard. Again, I haven’t seen it in forever. This is from a GSP fan too.

You can say you are a GSP fan all you want. Rounds 2 and 3 were clear GSP wins. Round 1 was only Penn because GSP couldn't see from an eye poke (real reason he went to the hospital BTW)

BJ vs GSP
Pettis vs Dustin/Tony
Shogun vs Jones
Nunes vs Pennington

Penn quitting on the stool and then bringing his mommy to say the fight wasn’t fair has to be worse than No Mas

What's the story here? A little before my time. Did this have to do with GSP and the "Vasoline scandal"?

Lmao at talking about bully of boxing and mentioning Nate, Gate Chi and more guys who never bully or quit yet no mention of Clown Boy or Ronda who both said No Mas.

nick serra DQ (Wouldn't Get Up From Butt Scoot)
joey scarola quit tuf knowing serra would fire him from his instructor job, and it also ended his fight career

What's the story here? A little before my time. Did this have to do with GSP and the "Vasoline scandal"?

That’s right. GSP humiliated Penn and explained that his gameplan for the first round was to dirty box and push Penn along the cage, forcing Penn to push back against him. The plan worked like a charm. Hence the second fight looked different from the first.

Penn was exhausted after the first round and GSP took him down at will. Penn had trouble getting up; he was the smaller guy, and GSP’s wrestling is formidable.

In the middle of the fight, between rounds, someone from the commission said Phil Nurse rubbed Vaseline on GSP’s back instead of his face so the commission wiped off the Vaseline with a towel.

This turned into greasegate. I personally lost a couple of accounts arguing with people on that one. Penn fans called GSP a steroid taking greased up coward etc etc.

Penns team, famous at the time for coming up with increasingly silly excuses for his losses, went ballistic after the fight. Penn demanded a hearing, brought his mother in to explain how she feared for her sons life during the GSP fight, and so on and so forth. His complaints were laughed out of the room, but they did change the rule regarding, I think, who got to apply Vaseline in a fighters corner.

BJ Penn fans got banned left and right on this forum during that period; the trolling was non stop, and even mods who were Penn fans melted down.

He was the laughingstock of the MMA world from that point on, until he really started to go down hill, and instead of laughing at him people just forgot about him.

Penn is similar to Duran. He's been compared to De La Hoya, but Duran fits better. And he did quit against a fighter similar in standing to Ray, GSP, in Penn's biggest fight. Good comparison. Likely won't get a bigger fight with a similar outcome.

That’s right. GSP humiliated Penn and explained that his gameplan for the first round was to dirty box and push Penn along the cage, forcing Penn to push back against him. The plan worked like a charm. Hence the second fight looked different from the first.

Penn was exhausted after the first round and GSP took him down at will. Penn had trouble getting up; he was the smaller guy, and GSP’s wrestling is formidable.

In the middle of the fight, between rounds, someone from the commission said Phil Nurse rubbed Vaseline on GSP’s back instead of his face so the commission wiped off the Vaseline with a towel.

This turned into greasegate. I personally lost a couple of accounts arguing with people on that one. Penn fans called GSP a steroid taking greased up coward etc etc.

Penns team, famous at the time for coming up with increasingly silly excuses for his losses, went ballistic after the fight. Penn demanded a hearing, brought his mother in to explain how she feared for her sons life during the GSP fight, and so on and so forth. His complaints were laughed out of the room, but they did change the rule regarding, I think, who got to apply Vaseline in a fighters corner.

BJ Penn fans got banned left and right on this forum during that period; the trolling was non stop, and even mods who were Penn fans melted down.

He was the laughingstock of the MMA world from that point on, until he really started to go down hill, and instead of laughing at him people just forgot about him.

Much appreciated! Surreal reading through it all like this even after the fact. I assumed you were being facetious when you mentioned BJ bringing in his mom...

Much appreciated! Surreal reading through it all like this even after the fact. I assumed you were being facetious when you mentioned BJ bringing in his mom...

Sadly, no. Penn was asked about it afterwards and he said “well at least I know my mom loves me” - it was actually kind of charming.

And Penn was a legit legend before all that.

He still is, really. But sheesh. Penn didn’t even look like he took that much of a beating in that fight.

Penn is similar to Duran. He's been compared to De La Hoya, but Duran fits better. And he did quit against a fighter similar in standing to Ray, GSP, in Penn's biggest fight. Good comparison. Likely won't get a bigger fight with a similar outcome.
But Penn didn't quit in an actual round, he quit on the stool.

Duran turned his back and quit in an actual round.

You can say you are a GSP fan all you want. Rounds 2 and 3 were clear GSP wins. Round 1 was only Penn because GSP couldn't see from an eye poke (real reason he went to the hospital BTW)

I’ll have to watch it again. I struggle to take the opinions of emotionally invested posters seriously.

Anyway the " No Mas" thing was a really strange freak occurance really. Never seen anything quite like it,esp coming from a guy who is hard as nails as Duran is.
People can joke all they want,but Duran fought in 5 different fucking decades. They really ought to shut the fuck up and put respect on Duran's name.

a legend for sure and a bad ass. That’s a tough smear to overcome, tho. It’s shrouded in controversy as to what really happened but it’s still not a good look. Doesn’t take away from his in ring accomplishments. There’s a good 30 for 30 on it.

Conor.

Dude talks all kinds of shit
Can TKO dudes
Difficult to get inside of

Yet taps like a bitch at any sight of adversity

Back