What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than start a whole new thread I re-titled and am reviving this one. There's a lot of exciting stuff going on at Vegas' eldest Gym. For one thing, we're bringing back sparring exhibitions that are open to the public:

That features 4 of my guys. Bandito (whose gloves I'm tying in the beginning), Loco (Punisher shirt, white headgear), Samurai Pete (long hair, heavyweight), and Daijon (black headgear, sparring with Flash at the end).

Speaking of Flash, he's getting ready to go Pro within the next few months. Here's the little Promo video HustleBoss did of him (which features that same session with Daijon):

And he also had a very very good session with Keith Hunter (Son of Mike "The Bounty" Hunter)...built off of that they had fought each other before. Keith won that day. Flash got a little get-back here:

More to come very soon.

I also heard through the grapevine that the young sensation Devin Haney was sparring at your gym. How'd that go and what do you think of him?

Jaja, you're the second person to ask about that.

I've known Devin since he was a little little guy. He sparred Bandito up there. Bandito had been through some troubles and he's only been back at it for a couple of months, but I knew they'd work well with each other. Devin has come a long way since he was a kid. They did good work. I have the video, I'll get it up soon.

I want to get Daijon in there with Keith, I think he's ready for it.

Is there a correct way to do this little move. Morales did it alot too. Alot of times when i try it, i take a jab on the forehead. Am i leaning too far over my front foot, or is my base not wide enough?

At what point are you eating the jab?

Whoa, totally forgot about this question. To continue this 9 month old inquiry..

I would take the jab when my head went forward towards my lead leg, which would render the little bait move ineffective by knocking me off balance. Now that I re-look at this question, having my base too narrow could have been the problem. Base and distance. When you look at Marquez doing this move or just his stance in general, his base is always wide, and his distancing is masterful. Qualities I do not quite possess.

Word. Now how about the new vids I posted?

Excellent Sparring. You can always count on Tocco's to deliver some good quality sparring to watch. Keep posting more.

only thing that bothered me was that questionable character with the black hat in the corner.

Yeah that guy, thinks he's some kind of excellent trainer/gym manager or something. Pfff.

This is going further back in the thread, but what is it about the jab you teach that people think is elitist, Sinister?

You know what the best thing about this video is, for me personally? Seeing Samurai Pete and the other heavyweight spar. I usually only get the chance to spar smaller guys, and in light sparring there is no power difference to equalize things, so I'm usually just the big, fat slow guy. Seeing the speed at which Pete and his partner were moving reminded me that I'm not necessarily the slowest guy in the world. At least, I'm not the slowest by a huge margin.

I have that whole session. Jesse has really quick hands and very good hand-eye coordination. Pete has good timing and tenacity, so they make a good match. But yes, big guy vs. Big guy different to watch.

Mustard looks like a nightmare to fight because of his ability to put guys out of position by making them throw as he's moving. His left may not be hurting anyone but it looks solid, like it has stopping power.

It has a ton of power, Flash is just difficult to hurt similar to Mosley when he was in his prime.

Every time it connected, it stopped flash in his tracks and put a stop to his offensive momentum.

At least, I'm not the slowest by a huge margin.

I think it's a mistake as a hw to go down the route of explaining away your failings due to your being bigger. I expect my cardio, my speed, my movements to be at LEAST as good as the light heavies.

I believe that's what separates the fatties from the winners.

I know what you mean though.

I have that whole session. Jesse has really quick hands and very good hand-eye coordination. Pete has good timing and tenacity, so they make a good match. But yes, big guy vs. Big guy different to watch.

I'd love to see it.

I think it's a mistake as a hw to go down the route of explaining away your failings due to your being bigger. I expect my cardio, my speed, my movements to be at LEAST as good as the light heavies.

I believe that's what separates the fatties from the winners.

I know what you mean though.

Meh, I'm not complaining. I'm not worried about being super fast. I'd take timing over speed any day of the week. I'd rather be Danny Garcia than Amir Khan.

All I meant was that it's been a while since I've seen some other developing heavyweights sparring each other. It looks different, and encourages me that I might not be doing so poorly after all.

Here's the session between Bandito and Devin Haney. Bandito started to figure him out around midway through the second round:

Here's the session between Bandito and Devin Haney. Bandito started to figure him out around midway through the second round:

Damn it looked like Bandito really got mesmerized by that jab. He fell into the trap of watching and waiting for it instead of trying to take it away. Then at the same time he was also in the trap of trying to land his own jab instead of trying to find distance with it, so he was only throwing one at a time and doing nothing after when he missed. That got him stuck at a range where he was ineffective and Haney could put his hands together. The few times he committed to coming in behind a double jab, or otherwise worked a combination moving forward he was a lot more successful.

Yeah, there's a lot going on in that session. There's even some back-story. Bandito has been boxing longer than Devin, and used to be bigger. He had to go easy when they sparred a long time ago. But Joseph was a problem child and most recently had to do 8 months in a juvenile facility. He's only been out since September. Before that he was on the run for like a year and only fought 3 Times in that year where Devin has had like 140 fights.

He also elected to spar that day after our morning workout (this session was around 4pm, we train at 9am). He's going to a tournament next weekend with two of my others, so I didn't mind him getting in there a little fatigued because in the tournament he could have to Fight 3 days in a row. Then to top it off, Devin is #1 in the U.S. in their weight division. So it was meant to be a challenge. All that said it went better than I initially thought it would. Devin has a very good and very straight jab, he's fast, and his right hand is very tricky. That was Joseph's first session with anyone of that caliber since getting out. Yesterday he sparred a Pro who had over 150 Amateur fights and is 7-1 as a Pro so far, and did very well. I'll post that session as well. We are working in increasing his effectiveness on the outside against people who have all the advantages on paper...speed, reach, height, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back