What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for posting those videos, its a shame that Bandito got robbed of his win.

Daijon is looking really sharp now. Probably the best Iv seen him. Very good punch selection, he knows what speed to throw them. when to be fast, when to hit hard. That right hook was there for him. good st. left as well

how long have you been working with him? are you his only trainer ever?

And good job with the camera crew, It made it much more enjoyable to watch, very clear.

You can see how he would frustrate a lot of guys. being a fast SP.

Also what looks like an excellently timed low blow by his opponent.

No way Joseph lost that fight. At least the judges made the correct decision scoring it for Daijon. Congratulations!

I didn't like the camera work though, couldn't see the guys from the waist down most of the time. I liked the angle the third round of Daijon's fight was filmed in, wish the whole thing was like that.

That kid Alex is trained by Osvaldo "El Torito" Garcia, our resident Cuban trainer who was a National Amateur Champ in Cuba. Kid has gotten way better over the last year.

Great sparring - beautiful counters by a shorter guy ! Also nice fluid movement from his opponent (Alex ?) - though IMO he spent too much time at a distance, which is closer than his ideal distance should be.

Alright, so that session with Devin, like I said Bandito wasn't functioning on that level quite yet. That session started it, couple of days later he sparred a Pro who had a lot of amateur fights, and then he had this session with a kid here in Vegas who fights at 123, and has about 140 fights. Here's how that went, and now you can see Bandito at the top of his game currently:

He looks so much more comfortable and flud here than in the earlier video. You can definitely see he is getting back into the groove. Seems like he really does try to listen to your advice as well.

Man all these sparring videos makes me want to spar so bad! It's been a while!

thanks for posting those videos, its a shame that Bandito got robbed of his win.

That's the game, unfortunately. Like I said them giving that other kid "best boxer" was the real insult. Rob us, but don't give the other guy a trophy for getting his face boxed-off.

Daijon is looking really sharp now. Probably the best Iv seen him. Very good punch selection, he knows what speed to throw them. when to be fast, when to hit hard. That right hook was there for him. good st. left as well

how long have you been working with him? are you his only trainer ever?

And good job with the camera crew, It made it much more enjoyable to watch, very clear.

You can see how he would frustrate a lot of guys. being a fast SP.

Also what looks like an excellently timed low blow by his opponent.

Honestly, I thought Joseph looked better over all than Daijon did. Daijon was still a bit sporadic for my liking, Joseph was smooth as butter. Aside from the stupid little punch-spamming on the inside, the opponent never landed anything of consequence and got his head snapped back a few times in each round.

I've had Daijon for nearly 2 years. He was trained by our trainer John for about 2 months, but I undid a lot of what John did only because I felt Daijon needed a different direction mentally before physically. So I rebuilt him.

And just wait until you see where I'm going with him, he isn't done yet.

No way Joseph lost that fight. At least the judges made the correct decision scoring it for Daijon. Congratulations!

I didn't like the camera work though, couldn't see the guys from the waist down most of the time. I liked the angle the third round of Daijon's fight was filmed in, wish the whole thing was like that.

Yeah, I consider Joseph a National Champ, too. And thanks.

Great sparring - beautiful counters by a shorter guy ! Also nice fluid movement from his opponent (Alex ?) - though IMO he spent too much time at a distance, which is closer than his ideal distance should be.

Alex is fairly inexperienced compared to Bandito. But he's come a long long way, to where is form looks very clean.

He looks so much more comfortable and flud here than in the earlier video. You can definitely see he is getting back into the groove. Seems like he really does try to listen to your advice as well.

Man all these sparring videos makes me want to spar so bad! It's been a while!

Indeed, he had a series of tune-up sparring sessions. He can hang on the same level as all these "Amateur stars"...because the irony is that at one point here in Vegas he was better than most of them. Then he ran into tons of personal problems and fell off the boxing map. Now all that shit is behind him and he can get back to being his full-potential self. That's what you're seeing in that video. Him catching up to his peers.

Alex is fairly inexperienced compared to Bandito. But he's come a long long way, to where is form looks very clean.

Looks like Alex has a good potential - tall, fast and also looks like he is a natural mover.
Would be interesting to see how he would do if Bandito would cut him off from circling to his left ... Because it looks like he is very comfortable with movement to this direction...

As he gets better, we'll challenge him more like that.

Bandito is a very solid guy technically - lots of different quality counters in just one sparring. Especially impressive to see shorter guy to pull something like that and not go for standard solution like constantly press the taller guy to the ropes.

Have you trained him from the beginning ?

P.S.
He really reminds Marquez with some techniques and especially his posture and lead hand )) Also there is some similarity in movement )

Bandito is a very solid guy technically - lots of different quality counters in just one sparring. Especially impressive to see shorter guy to pull something like that and not go for standard solution like constantly press the taller guy to the ropes.

Have you trained him from the beginning ?

P.S.
He really reminds Marquez with some techniques and especially his posture and lead hand )) Also there is some similarity in movement )

Yeah he's very creative on the back foot. But much like Marquez, half the fighter going forward. Just before this bout he had a fight against a more experienced Cuban who scurried around the ring for the entire fight. Bandito lost the decision, but we knew it'd be tough going in as we haven't refined his forward game that much.

Nah, this is a kid who has run the gambit of boxing. Started with former Heavyweight Contender Leeroy Caldwell, trained with Yoel Judah, trained with either Roger or Jeff Mayweather (I forget), then like 4 or 5 Mexican trainers. He's been at Tocco's since before me. When I met him he was with Danny (who trains current Pro Jesus Gutierrez, and National Amateur competitors Jesse Rosales and Isaac Lujan), and from what he told me every Mexican trainer had him going forward and brawling. Still I saw potential. Then his friend Joey (Da Tooth) started training with me and invited him to workout with us. He asked me to help him refine his game and from then on he's never wanted another trainer. But the second I put him in the ring and let him do what he wanted, I knew he was a born counter-puncher. Marquez was his favorite fighter, and he got some of that stuff from Danny, who trained under Rudy Perez for a while (Marco Antonio Barrera's trainer). But Joseph always put his own spin on it, which made him look MORE like Marquez.

What will be your plan for his forward game ? I mean, how do you see it strategically - 1)cut the ring off methodically (say, like Frazier)) or 2)teaching to cover a lot of ground while quickly advancing (say, like Morales or Kovalev) or 3)leading more to draw a counter and to ride it (say, like Toney) ??

My feeling, with a guy like him, option #3 will suit better ...

Well, it'll likely be something similar, but a kid like him ain't gonna fight like Toney. One thing he's gotten really good at is pressing forward behind the double-jab. He has a strong jab to the body as well, but he almost never puts anything behind it because he goes too front-foot heavy and just jumps back because he feels over-committed. So when he does throw it, the other guy usually just jumps at him to follow it back and he plans to counter from there. I want to take advantage of his ability to change elevations, and build an attack game with that.

I want to take advantage of his ability to change elevations, and build an attack game with that.

Meaning, something like jab-jab-drop-and counter whatever is thrown at him ?
Or fully leading game with jab as setup for pure attack ?

More like the way Jose Luis Castillo used to attack with skillful elevation changes:

I see - Castillio is a great guy to study for both pure offense and counters off the elevation changes. Interesting, that in his first fight with Floyd, he countered Floyd very successfully. While most people remember that fight due to the successful pressure and attacks.

BTW, is this slip left with elevation change is a core technique for mexican boxing school ? Marquez, Castillio, Morales did that a lot.

Yeah, it's one of the go-to moves for Mexican fighters. And I felt his ability to attack from high to low, and low to high, is what gave Floyd the most problems in that first bout. Sucks that the end of his career was so shitty, because he really was one of the more excellent fighters of his day. Had he got the nod in that bout with Floyd things might have turned out completely differently.

Is there any theory behind the techniques that can be executed from that position ? Any system ?
I mean, say , like for philly shell there is a SET of defensive/countering/offensive responses that can be done based on the situation. Is it the same here or it is just few available techniques and that's it ?

I can't say for certain, especially because those men you just named all had different trainers. Though I would think guys as smart as Nacho Beristain, Jose Morales, and Tiburcio Garcia all do things systematically.

What i see in this position is 1)it gives good offensive opportunities for both body and head attacks 2)limits the offense of the opponent due to level change and angle to the left 3) also can be used as feint - all three - Morales, Marquez and Castillio did that

Still would be very interesting to see any breakdown of that ...

Love Castillo

What do you have in the plans for Daijon? When do you think he will go Pro, and what will you be looking to change when he does make that step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back