What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

I know I haven't been around much, but I don't get much sit-down time at the Gym anymore even with plenty of people coming and going (I swear, this Country is so full of quitters it's nuts). But here's a fun and Sherdog exclusive (I've not posted it anywhere else) of Daijon at our last First Friday event sparring a kid who was fighting in the Elite division the year Daijon started boxing. That should show how far he's come. On the same card for Daijon's 3rd bout, this kid beat a guy from Khazakhstan who had 90 fights:

Update:

I know I haven't been around much, but I don't get much sit-down time at the Gym anymore even with plenty of people coming and going (I swear, this Country is so full of quitters it's nuts). But here's a fun and Sherdog exclusive (I've not posted it anywhere else) of Daijon at our last First Friday event sparring a kid who was fighting in the Elite division the year Daijon started boxing. That should show how far he's come. On the same card for Daijon's 3rd bout, this kid beat a guy from Khazakhstan who had 90 fights:

Amazing sparring, thanks. They look so sharp man. Both amateurs still, right? Surely they must be up there in the ranks. They move so well, and are so fast.

Daijon is a bit of a smart aleck though huh :)

He and Kevin both are. And yes, he's developed a bit of an edgy attitude even with me. Which is okay so long as he doesn't over-step his bounds.

But yeah he still thinks down on himself a bit, it doesn't quite hit him that he's hanging with a guy who could have went Pro the year he started boxing. Kevin's turning Pro now, I want Daijon to get a couple more tournaments in before we do.

Great sparring ! Both looked very solid.

Daijon is a southpaw, right ? If yes - why haven't you tried to make him to pressure his opponent a little bit ? It looked like his opponent is quite gifted athletically (and also good technically). So once he has a space to move and time to plan - it is very difficult to handle him. I.e his opponent looks like a guy which is very difficult to win a positional battle against ...

Another question is about angles. Looked to me like Daijon was mostly standing in front of his opponent. Not too many attempts to ,say, go behind the opponents' lead hand and attack from there. Or on contrary, create an inside angle. Do I miss things in there or there was some other goals to work on in this session ?

He and Kevin both are. And yes, he's developed a bit of an edgy attitude even with me. Which is okay so long as he doesn't over-step his bounds.

But yeah he still thinks down on himself a bit, it doesn't quite hit him that he's hanging with a guy who could have went Pro the year he started boxing. Kevin's turning Pro now, I want Daijon to get a couple more tournaments in before we do.
Haha if he does, you have to put him in his place! :)

It's probably the perfectionist in him that makes him think down on himself. It's a double edged sword really. On the one hand, not thinking you are good enough, or doing well enough, forces you to strive for something better. On the other hand it can undercut your confidence and be very stressful. Striking the right balance is the hard part.

I can imagine that dealing with personalities and motivation is one of the hardest things about coaching at that level. Good work with Daijon and the rest.

Hey Sinister, any stories to tell about training with Alexander Hagen? I eat up anything AMSB puts out, so I've been following him for awhile by proxy.

Great sparring ! Both looked very solid.

Daijon is a southpaw, right ? If yes - why haven't you tried to make him to pressure his opponent a little bit ? It looked like his opponent is quite gifted athletically (and also good technically). So once he has a space to move and time to plan - it is very difficult to handle him. I.e his opponent looks like a guy which is very difficult to win a positional battle against ...

Another question is about angles. Looked to me like Daijon was mostly standing in front of his opponent. Not too many attempts to ,say, go behind the opponents' lead hand and attack from there. Or on contrary, create an inside angle. Do I miss things in there or there was some other goals to work on in this session ?

These two have the same style, both are fairly conservative counter-punchers. But remember what I said in the initial description. Kevin has been in the Elite division of the Amateurs the entire time Daijon has been boxing at all. This isn't a guy you just walk in on if you're not already a very accomplished pressure fighter. Daijon WAS pressuring, as much as he was comfortable with, but he's still going to be himself.

I'm addressing the frontal approach now. But even armed with more circular movements, Kevin is a very very difficult kind of fighter to get anything to work on. But yes, we've been addressing the issue of fighting in straight lines quite a bit.

Haha if he does, you have to put him in his place! :)

It's probably the perfectionist in him that makes him think down on himself. It's a double edged sword really. On the one hand, not thinking you are good enough, or doing well enough, forces you to strive for something better. On the other hand it can undercut your confidence and be very stressful. Striking the right balance is the hard part.

I can imagine that dealing with personalities and motivation is one of the hardest things about coaching at that level. Good work with Daijon and the rest.

Yeah, I generally teach them that perfectionism is a weakness. You want to pursue perfection while knowing and accepting that it's basically impossible to attain. Those who become extremely frustrated with not attaining it tend to have more mental breakdowns.

Hey Sinister, any stories to tell about training with Alexander Hagen? I eat up anything AMSB puts out, so I've been following him for awhile by proxy.

I'm not sure about stories. I posted some stuff in Sano's thread about his sparring. But it's been going well. Here, this might help:

http://hustleboss.com/norways-alexa...y-exhibition-sparring-at-johnny-toccos-on-41/

These two have the same style, both are fairly conservative counter-punchers. But remember what I said in the initial description. Kevin has been in the Elite division of the Amateurs the entire time Daijon has been boxing at all. This isn't a guy you just walk in on if you're not already a very accomplished pressure fighter. Daijon WAS pressuring, as much as he was comfortable with, but he's still going to be himself.

I'm addressing the frontal approach now. But even armed with more circular movements, Kevin is a very very difficult kind of fighter to get anything to work on. But yes, we've been addressing the issue of fighting in straight lines quite a bit.

I see ... The points in bold ^ were my guess actually ...

Here's another one. This kid is a 2-0 Pro out of Arizona who WAS the #2 Amateur in the U.S. in Daijon's division. A while back I said I was working on something particular with Daijon, you may notice a distinct look to his style here. Something many of you have seen before, just not with a Southpaw:

I'll be damned if I didn't see a little of the crab in that round.

^Bingo. I have taught a Southpaw the Crab style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back