Movies What's The Better Trilogy Star Wars OT or Lord of the Rings.

The LOTR trilogy is just better cinematically in every way. As a franchise I've always liked Star Wars a lot more, but LOTR is a cinematic masterpiece. All the disney star wars stuff has really turned me off on the whole thing. I didn't watch the Amazon LOTR crap.

Lord of the Rings.

Used to like Star Wars, but the latest trilogy completely ruined the universe for me, to the point that even the original trilogy is no longer watchable. The Hobbit movies were terrible too, but they didn't have a fat Aragorn sucking alien teat milk and so didn't have any real impact on the original films.
Honestly though the latest struff was so "un Starwars" I find it very easy to ignore that it even exists.

LOTR for me, those movies just feel more epic to me than any others. I also didn’t get to experience the original Star Wars movie when they were first released, saw them in the early 2000s when I was 10, thought they were fun but just didn’t feel super epic or big for me personally. Everything after the original trilogy has been pretty bad - decent imo, so that kind of waters down the first three in a way too in my eyes.

Tough to call as an adult. I love them both, but I watched the OG Star Wars trilogy countless times as a kid, and plenty as an adult. I've probably watched LOTR more times as an adult. Both prequels have so many issues, but I still watch them (not as often) from time to time just to absorb myself in those universes more. Both prequels have a lot of great moments too.

They share so much, being timeless tales of good vs evil with unlikely underdogs coming together, despite their differences, to overcome overwhelming odds.

It's funny how Disney's Star Wars and Amazon's Rings of Power also share so much in common, both being soulless woke messaging, while being terribly written/planned.

I'd have to pick Star Wars overall, but Return of the King was better than ROTJ.

Edit: Bahh I don't know lol, both stories were big parts of my life growing up. I gotta say though, seeing LOTR come to life on screen was incredible, as I read the novels around 1990. I rarely like adaptations, they never do it justice, but LOTR, despite some changes, captured Tolkien's work beautifully.

I really loved this scene because it helped show how big the scale/lands of men was. The music and and all the beacons gives the audience hope too, soooo good!

So epic!

Right in the feels...

Last edited:
Not a big LOTR guys, so it's Star Wars for me. Love the the original trilogy.

I definitely prefer SW, but I'd concede LOTR are made better.

People shit on Return of the Jedi but the beginning with Jabba's Palace and the end with the throne room scenes with Luke's confrontation with Vader and Palpatine are iconic moments in movie history.

Yeah, it gets shat on for the Ewoks, but as you say the rest of the film is really good......as a kid it was my favourite of the 3.

Apparently the Ewoks were originally going to be Wookies but Lucas felt he'd sell more toys with Ewoks. Would have been so much better (believable) with Wookies. George Lucas was a hack who got lucky as fuck (and a few moments of godly inspiration).

Star Wars. for all the LOTR people talking about cinematic mastery please note

a new hope was released in May of 1977
Fellowship Dec 2001

So comparing the cinematic experience is kind of like comparing Tank Abbott's techniques to Jon Jones.

CGI, Advances in sound, computers, cameras, digital editing, larger budgets, easier travel, more experienced people working on the rough cut, release on DVD for immediate repeat viewings, etc.

The cinematic experience that Geroge Lucas brought with 1977 technology and a miniscule budget was pretty spectacular for the times.

i also give credit to Star Wars for being an original story created by them and released when a sci-fi space opera was not an established money making genre so the budget was pretty tight.

LOTR took a massively popular book an adapted it well, with an already more established director, and a genre that had proven to be a money maker with many other films doing well in the past, this gave the studio much more reason to give it a bigger budget and promotional kick.

and some of it just comes down to what age you are and if you were part of the excitement of the first wave of star wars or if LOTR came out at the right time to spike your interest.

BUT I do think you have to take the above into consideration.

LOTR for me. As someone who loved the books, the movies blew me away.
Star Wars is great though.

I always argue that Lord of the Rings was one of the best film adaptations of all time. They were considered unfilmable at the time, but Peter Jackson figured out how to do it and do it extremely well. Unreal

Saw Return of the king the night it came out in Miami. Place was freakin packed and there were several other showings of it there.

Love both, but Star Wars was such a HUGE part, and influence, on my childhood I can't pick anything else.

Went back recently and rewatched all the Star Wars movies, and not too long before that i rewatched all the Hobbit/LoTR movies.

If we take out the Hobbit trilogy and everything for Star Wars, apart from 4, 5 and 6 which are unanimously considered the best... LoTR still smashes the shit out of Star Wars, and it's not even close.

I never seen a movie from either franchise.

LOTR all day. Return of the Jedi is an objectively weak film compared to the others, and there’s no weak film like that in the LOTR trilogy. I don’t think imdb matters but it is interesting that all 3 LOTR movies are in the top 15. Empire is the highest ranked of the Star Wars movies coming in at 15.
Return of the jedi is better than A New Hope

But Return of the King is the weakest out of all the movies
<{cum@me}>

LOTR. Hobbit was a huge let down though.

Return of the Jedi was the beginning of the end of the SW franchise.

Star Wars wins, but love LOTR too.

Star wars but lotr is close as fuck

I think LotR are better movies but I could watch the Star Wars trilogy easily while LotR is a chore. I bough the 4Ks years ago and I still haven't watched them. You basically have to take a week off work and clear your day to watch LotR where Star Wars is easily bingeable.

Back