Movies What's The Better Trilogy Star Wars OT or Lord of the Rings.

4 year old to 15 year old me: Star Wars
16 year old to present me: Lord of The Rings

I saw the original theatrical runs of both movies. Lord of The Rings is just better. The original Star Wars trilogy is great though.

Star Wars. for all the LOTR people talking about cinematic mastery please note

a new hope was released in May of 1977
Fellowship Dec 2001

So comparing the cinematic experience is kind of like comparing Tank Abbott's techniques to Jon Jones.

CGI, Advances in sound, computers, cameras, digital editing, larger budgets, easier travel, more experienced people working on the rough cut, release on DVD for immediate repeat viewings, etc.

The cinematic experience that Geroge Lucas brought with 1977 technology and a miniscule budget was pretty spectacular for the times.

i also give credit to Star Wars for being an original story created by them and released when a sci-fi space opera was not an established money making genre so the budget was pretty tight.

LOTR took a massively popular book an adapted it well, with an already more established director, and a genre that had proven to be a money maker with many other films doing well in the past, this gave the studio much more reason to give it a bigger budget and promotional kick.

and some of it just comes down to what age you are and if you were part of the excitement of the first wave of star wars or if LOTR came out at the right time to spike your interest.

BUT I do think you have to take the above into consideration.
That's a good post

What Industrial light and magic did with Star Wars was incredible and still holds up. I love the use of models and practical effects. They changed the game.

It was harder to get immersed in sci-fi films or tv shows that couldn't compare.

LOTR was able to use CGI, but they still implemented lots of old school techniques in conjunction with CGI. I highly preferred actors in orc costumes, at least in close ups, over the Hobbit all CGI thing.

Costume design for bith trilogies and casting were perfection too. They really nailed the aesthetic they were going for, picking great/real world locations to film in.

No matter how much studios bastardize these franchises, they can never take those classics away.

Back