What's the most hours you've ever worked in a week?

80 - 90.
I’ve worked some 36 hour days.

A guy I work with once in a while averaged 96 hours a week for the previous year. Fuck that.

Probably 90ish. I'm a firefighter though so my normal workweek is 56 hours.

Probably most hours per day was being a deckhand on salmon troller , there is nothing to do but fish , head back in when the ice had to be replaced . I dunno exactly hours per day when time is measured by days not hours , when you get over 18 hours of daylight things flow together. It was fun for the first few days then like a prison for the rest .... not recommended , averaged $5 hour that summer

Helped take off the harvest for a few years , dryland wheat farm , started in the morning after the dew burned off maybe around 9 am or so , worked until around 10 pm to 11 or so when the dew became noticeable . I drove truck along the combine then when full would gun it to the grain bins , unload it with the auger .. repeat till the harvest was off , around 10 days, radio pulled in Great Falls station , Sweet Grass hills on the horizon , the odd antelope wandering past , quite a change from the mountains I call home .

Various other jobs put in 12 hours/day till the job was done , road building , surveying , construction work , put in longer days when I'm the boss or when allowed to .

Back in early 20s full time 40h job + bunch of nights doing security at club, 4-5 nights

So something like 64h or 70h

Are you guys all doing crazy amounts of overtime, or do you not have employment laws with max hours an employer can mandate?

The most they can make us work in the UK is 48 hours a week.

I regularly do 60 hour weeks, but they're followed by 20 hour weeks to compensate.
With a few exceptions (military etc.) they're doing it voluntarily. Usually getting overtime.

Working really long hours doesn't appeal to me, the quality of your work goes down, your quality of life (including girlfriend/wife/family) goes down and your health suffers (permanently if you do it long enough). I have worked long hours in the past and will again no doubt, but only when there's dire need.

I suppose you can come up with exceptions where you need to be competitive, journalism, researching a new medicine or widget and you're trying to be first etc.

I would say 70 hours. I havent worked a full 8 hour day not including training seminars, for 10 years.

Glad you got a decent payoff from it. Sounds like a recipe for burnout.
Yep, I'm definitely not doing that again. I can work as many hours as I like here as the lunatic that was here before me used to do 60-70 hour weeks.

I choose to do 40-42 hours a week but it's nice to know that if I wanted to, I could nearly double my pay packet if I choose to... but fuck it, life is too short to spend it stuck in the office.

Think like 90. Most you used to be able to work at my job was 91. Now they make you take a day off and 13 hour day limit so 78 is the max. I've done that a few times as well but when I need money 60 is more normal for me.
That happens because of lawsuits. Usually when employers do these long ass work weeks and work days they are violating a ton of work laws even unbeknownst to the employees. My job got successfully sued because we didn't get like a 3rd and 4th break for that day during double and triple time hours.

There are 168 hours in a 7 day week and during zero week at Ranger school I got exactly 2 hours of sleep. So 166 hours for me. That fucking sucked.

Regular desk jobs since then, probably 100 hours. That sucked too but at least I wasn't worried I would die.

Last edited:
Between 90-100 hours a week for 6 weeks of the year every year, just get my head down and grind. You have no time for anything, no mowing the lawn or cleaning, wake up, get food and go. Just keep going and think of the money
It’s funny when people moan about been tired because they work 35 hours a week, don’t that shit by Wednesday morning

Are you a republican by chance?

Around 80-85.

12 hour days without a day off. Fuck that noise.

Back when I was grinding poker all day I'd probably put in 90 hours a week. I did this for like 4 years.

That happens because of lawsuits. Usually when employers do these long ass work weeks and work days they are violating a ton of work laws even unbeknownst to the employees. My job got successfully sued because we didn't get like a 3rd and 4th break for that day during double and triple time hours.
Ya but none of that shit was mandatory. Mandatory ot is very rare at my job and seldom used. That's just cuz I wasn't getting paid alot, get paid way more now and am way busier thus less ot.

for me it was around 60 hours. twelve hour days, but it was intense labor work. after the last day i was so drained, i slept almost the entire weekend. not a good way to make a living.

Yep, I'm definitely not doing that again. I can work as many hours as I like here as the lunatic that was here before me used to do 60-70 hour weeks.

I choose to do 40-42 hours a week but it's nice to know that if I wanted to, I could nearly double my pay packet if I choose to... but fuck it, life is too short to spend it stuck in the office.
True that. I spend 90% of my time WFH and over 40 hours has no appeal

Over seven days I've done "forced" 64 hrs beyond count. I work 330pm-1130pm Monday-Friday, and what sucks is weekend shifts are 12's beginning at either 7:30am or pm. So...I either get destroyed on Saturday coming back at 7:30am into a 12..or work nights, get out at 7:30am Monday..and return at 3:30 for my "normal shift"/week. I guess then it's 104 hrs without a day off which isn't the worst I'm sure but money be damned I don't enjoy it.

I've been salaried for so long that I don't even think about the number of hours anymore.

But there have been weeks in the past where I was working pretty much every waking minute of the day outside of bathroom breaks. Wouldn't even take meal breaks, I would just eat while working.

It sucked though. By the end of the week I'm usually sick and grumpy. I don't recommend it.

Back