When it happens: Tsarukyan or Topuria?

that Indian

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Eventually Ilia will outgrow this weightclass (probably within 1-2 years), and Tsarukyan is far too small to move to WW.

They will eventually have to fight at 155. Given their similar attributes, who do you give the edge to?

Eventually Ilia will outgrow this weightclass (probably within 1-2 years), and Tsarukyan is far too small to move to WW.

They will eventually have to fight at 155. Given their similar attributes, who do you give the edge to?

I'd favor Arman right now if they fought I think. Ilia isn't big for 145 despite having struggled with weight cuts. The size is something Arman would really put to use with his wrestling heavy style. I also think Armans striking is underrated, he's deceptively quick, decent pop on his punched and absolutely fantastic kicks, which Ilia struggles with. The size advantage would be noticeable.

Still to early to know how Ilia will do vs the elite at 155, can't take too much from him KO'ing no chin Jai Herbert. I think he's got a smaller frame overall if he ever goes up to 155 permanently and would be outsized & outmuscled.

Ilia fought at 135
He is 5'8
O Malley at 135 is 5'11

I don't see him outgrowing 145, he is way too short for 155

Ilia grew out of 135 and into 145 by 22 years old. As guys beginning their pro careers ar 18 or younger and starting amateurs at 15-16 now, you will see guys grow through divisions more. Height isn't everything, Sean is pathetically small, like a fucking rail with an Itty bitty torso and narrow shoulders...way too small for 145 and doesn't have the genetics to add the size. Ilia isn't big for 145 though, kinda ideal sized for an athletic power puncher with a strong grappling base.

Ilia fought at 135
He is 5'8
O Malley at 135 is 5'11

Isn't Arman like 5'7"? And Volk was even shorter (and arguably beat the champ in their first fight). And Ilia already fought at 155. Once guys hit their 30s they seem to move up a weight class. Not always, of course.

Ilia fought at 135
He is 5'8
O Malley at 135 is 5'11

He fought at BW 1 time when he was 21 and missed by 5 lbs the 2nd time he tried. They actually did in cage weight for UFC 298, and Topuria cuts the same bodyweight % as Paulo Costa.

Though Arman is also a big LW and has missed weight before, so I don't know why TS thinks he's small for the division.

Isn't Arman like 5'7"? And Volk was even shorter (and arguably beat the champ in their first fight). And Ilia already fought at 155. Once guys hit their 30s they seem to move up a weight class. Not always, of course.
Ilia, has already gone up in weight class and is fully grown, most fighters don't go up a weight class in their 30s. Only looking at height isn't a good way to determine someone's size.

Ilia would be better suited at just getting efficient with his weight cuts. The dude is awesome at featherweight, but he'll get fucked up by the top of the lightweight division.

Ilia would be better suited at just getting efficient with his weight cuts. The dude is awesome at featherweight, but he'll get fucked up by the top of the lightweight division.

He is definitely better suited to 145 lbs, for now. But are you basing his performance at 155 on him getting rocked by Jai Herbert? Remember, Islam got KO'd by a fighter about that same tier.

Ive always had this question in my head and definitely think arman would via pure size and strength

He is definitely better suited to 145 lbs, for now. But are you basing his performance at 155 on him getting rocked by Jai Herbert? Remember, Islam got KO'd by a fighter about that same tier.
Not just that. It's his style in general. He got caught by Jai because of the way he lunges forward and whiffs on shots. Even Mitchell was landing at will on him.
Dude's a stud and I'd love to see him fix the holes, but at this point I have trouble seeing him not getting taken out.

Nah, Martins was much better than Herbert at the time. Dude beat Khabilov, and being a grappler who has KO power is a tougher test than a one dimensional striker like Jai imo.

Back