When someone got a cut in PRIDEFC

I saw something like that in a recent sumo match, believe it or not. A headbutt had cut open a guy's forehead and he was dripping onto the floor. Not only did they stop the fight then and there and made the sumos freeze in position while they did their damndest to staunch the blood, after the bout was over they took extreme care to pour fresh dirt over the clay and sweep it around it to hide the splatter.

There's a lot of Shinto religious tradition that tinges Sumo, and in Shinto blood is considered ritually "unclean". So maybe the Japanese carried that feeling over to another combat sport, to MMA? That spilt blood in the ring was very bad and had to be stopped as fast as possible. It could explain why Pride was fine with soccer kicks and what not that our own commissions find icky, but would not allow elbows.
This and what @moreorless87 said seems to explain this mentality. Thanks alot! Im glad i started this thread.

I genuinely wish some rich Japanese investors would just buy back the Pride name and fight library so we could have it again with Pride rules plus elbows / 6-12 etc.

It wouldn't do well. MMA was just a pop culture fad in Japan and then it died off

Because,as i just said,these things are alot more noticable now than then

PRIDE was the GOAT org. Their ruleset, production, commentary, entrances, and of course their fighters.

UFC sent Chuck over hoping to fight Wand in the final of their GP, but he got murdered by Rampage. He did KO Overeem and Mezger though.

Bring back stomps and soccer kicks.

It seemed like if someone had a bad cut in PRIDE,they would just stop the match right there and a team of guys would go to work on it in the middle of a match. It really gave the guy alot of time to recover. Anyone know what the rules were on something like that?
One difference btwn Pride rules and MMA elsewhere is that Pride doesn't allow vaseline to be applied on parts of the face which is normal in boxing/MMA. I think the reasoning behind it is to avoid as much spreading greasy substances on the body during the match which would inhibit submissions.

I’m old, so I remember Pride when it was still operating when I was a teenager, that shit was way more hardcore than ufc. It felt like a spectacle. It felt huge. Everything about Price gel’d well. I didn’t care about the restarts and stuff like that, Pride rules, Pride judging, Pride ring, Pride pro steroids = entertainment to the max. Hardly ever a boring fight.

"I’m old, so I remember Pride when it was still operating when I was a teenager..."

Damn, Grandpa! Tell us what it was like the first time you saw a motorized carriage! :p

I was in my early 30s when Pride was absorbed. I miss watching those fights so bad. I remember coming across a Ken Shamrock fight while surfing channels at work during some downtime, and schooling someone on PRIDE when they said it was a cheaper version of the UFC -- they had never even heard of PFC before.

PRIDE was the GOAT org. Their ruleset, production, commentary, entrances, and of course their fighters.

UFC sent Chuck over hoping to fight Wand in the final of their GP, but he got murdered by Rampage. He did KO Overeem and Mezger though.

Bring back stomps and soccer kicks.
I liked that the international aspect was really well done. It felt more akin to the Olympics than US Boxing,which is what the UFC has modeled itself after.

One difference btwn Pride rules and MMA elsewhere is that Pride doesn't allow vaseline to be applied on parts of the face which is normal in boxing/MMA. I think the reasoning behind it is to avoid as much spreading greasy substances on the body during the match which would inhibit submissions.
I remember that the ref always checked for it on their foreheads.

It wouldn't do well. MMA was just a pop culture fad in Japan and then it died off

You had people like Sapp who were a fad but I think the big issue simply is the level of comp is now so much lower in K-1 and MMA.

Pride was the centre of world MMA at the time, a relaunched Pride would be a B-league unless it has massive investment in it.

I honestly don't miss it too much. It had lots of classic, incredible fights and moments, but people are getting wild with nostalgia and rose tinted glasses.

I couldn't care less about ring entrances and announcers.

Also not into freakshow fights. They did Akebono dirty.

Corrupt as all fuck. I'm pretty certain the judges filled out of the score cards the night before the event based on which fighters offered the biggest bribes. That time they kept changing the rules mid fight so Saku might have a chance against Guy Mezger is maybe the most disgraceful thing in the history of MMA.

PRIDE padded the shit out of their fighters records. Seriously half of Wanderlei's opponents would be LWs or WWs today. And every event had random professional wrestlers fighting in a real fight for the first time in their lives. Like we all poke fun at CM Punk, but why give PRIDE a pass? They did it every single event. And not against other novices either. They took that one prowrestler and immediately fed him to Cro Cop for his first fight and Fedor for his second., then he never fought again. Even if PRIDE had the best fighters at the time, most of their fights were against guys from other sports or lighter divisions.

If PRIDE was before your time, I guess a modern analogy would be like if Francis Ngannou's next four title defenses were against Roman Reigns, the winner of Tuivasa and Gane, Kevin Gastelum, and JJ Watt. That would be like typical PRIDE matchmaking for you, and it never appealed to me.

I honestly don't miss it too much. It had lots of classic, incredible fights and moments, but people are getting wild with nostalgia and rose tinted glasses.

I couldn't care less about ring entrances and announcers.

Also not into freakshow fights. They did Akebono dirty.

Corrupt as all fuck. I'm pretty certain the judges filled out of the score cards the night before the event based on which fighters offered the biggest bribes. That time they kept changing the rules mid fight so Saku might have a chance against Guy Mezger is maybe the most disgraceful thing in the history of MMA.

PRIDE padded the shit out of their fighters records. Seriously half of Wanderlei's opponents would be LWs or WWs today. And every event had random professional wrestlers fighting in a real fight for the first time in their lives. Like we all poke fun at CM Punk, but why give PRIDE a pass? They did it every single event. And not against other novices either. They took that one prowrestler and immediately fed him to Cro Cop for his first fight and Fedor for his second., then he never fought again. Even if PRIDE had the best fighters at the time, most of their fights were against guys from other sports or lighter divisions.

If PRIDE was before your time, I guess a modern analogy would be like if Francis Ngannou's next four title defenses were against Roman Reigns, the winner of Tuivasa and Gane, Kevin Gastelum, and JJ Watt. That would be like typical PRIDE matchmaking for you, and it never appealed to me.
Akebono never fought in PRIDE.

I agree with you that "missing it" isnt the right word. I definitley enjoyed its presentation and preferred it to what other promotions were doing at the time,but I never had a problem with UFC's presentation for the most part. It was modeled after what US boxing looked like to me,and I enjoyed the contrast,and having both at the same time.

Some of the most exciting aspects of PRIDE were at the fighter's expense. They could demand more of them,because they paid them less,and they'd do anything for more. Some of these things wouldnt become as glaring and apparent until yrs after the MMA world moved on from those days.

Before I knew all that though,the GP's,especially the finals were high drama,and its hard not to fall in love with those. I enjoyed the white ring,and the care and subtlety in which things were promoted there.

Now as far as the prowrestling thing is concerned,pro wrestlers in Japan were generally legit toughmen with usually some kind of martial arts background.

Fujita almost qualified for the Olympics in wrestling,Sakuraba was a catch wrestler,and even those who werent,had to be tough in order to even make it in pro wrestling in Japan. You absolutley had to be able to handle yourself or you'd get liberties taken with you in the ring. Because of this,Pro Wrestling in Japan didnt have a negative stigma that it has in the USA. They look at their pro wrestlers as legitimate athletes,and tough people,which they were. Plus if you look at Pancrase,and Rings,pro wrestling and MMA were always linked there,and always will be overall.

"I’m old, so I remember Pride when it was still operating when I was a teenager..."

Damn, Grandpa! Tell us what it was like the first time you saw a motorized carriage! :p

I was in my early 30s when Pride was absorbed. I miss watching those fights so bad. I remember coming across a Ken Shamrock fight while surfing channels at work during some downtime, and schooling someone on PRIDE when they said it was a cheaper version of the UFC -- they had never even heard of PFC before.
I was already in my twenties when I saw Pride 22 shortly after it aired.

<DCWhoa>

This thread randomly reminded me that Pride didn't allow elbows on the ground. Funny how that never gets mentioned when comparing their rules to the UFC

Just another reason this org was a big joke.

If you notice they would especially drag it out much longer when it was one of their big Japanese stars. Sakuraba would basicely get surgery in the ring when he got cuts.

This thread randomly reminded me that Pride didn't allow elbows on the ground. Funny how that never gets mentioned when comparing their rules to the UFC
Pride didn’t allow elbows at all, grounded or otherwise. It’s also been mentioned numerous times in this thread already.

Reactions: HHJ
leave it to the cut men between rounds... other than that
just-bleed.gif

It seemed like if someone had a bad cut in PRIDE,they would just stop the match right there and a team of guys would go to work on it in the middle of a match. It really gave the guy alot of time to recover. Anyone know what the rules were on something like that?

View attachment 935518
PRIDE was better in every way than the modern MMA era.

That was pretty much the rules, if someone got busted open nasty, they’d work on it asap so the fight could continue. The current rules don’t allow for cuts to be worked on mid round. The thing is, if they could be worked on asap, they don’t get as severe. I think for something like accidental headbutts, they should be worked on mid round. I don’t know if they are tho. I also think for eye pokes, they should allow eye wash to be used. Eye wash feels great and it’s soothes the eye. I don’t know why they don’t do this. It would lead to more fighters wanting to continue on. Idk. Lots of rules need tweaking. We need four point attacks. I.e. knees to the head on the ground and upkicks legalized. Colorado legalized them for one fc. They need to be legal in Cali, Nevada and then the other states will follow.

Good take, the '4 point' knees thing might need to be analyzed closely; but even so...

I’m old, so I remember Pride when it was still operating when I was a teenager, that shit was way more hardcore than ufc. It felt like a spectacle. It felt huge. Everything about Price gel’d well. I didn’t care about the restarts and stuff like that, Pride rules, Pride judging, Pride ring, Pride pro steroids = entertainment to the max. Hardly ever a boring fight.
Pride was to UFC as ECW was to WCW.

It's kind of funny, that in PRIDE, you could soccer kick a guy in the head, knee a downed fighter in the head, but if a guy starts bleeding, STOP THE FIGHT! Lucky thing for Nick Diaz, that his fight with Gomi was in USA!:D

Back