When was the last time you bought a DVD or Blue Ray whatever physical movie thingy

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-motion-picture-trilogy-extended-edition-blu-ray-image-2.jpg

Not only can't we let go of old technology, we gotta re watch old ass shit too.

I bought Wonder Woman for my girlfriend for Christmas. I could have bought it on Amazon so she could watch it on demand which would be more convenient, but physical media makes for a better gift.

I had to think hard about this but it might have been the first Avengers movie on DVD

Frig man you can rent any movie on Youtube or find it by other means off the wonderful world of the internet
Been at least 15 years since I bought a DVD. Never bought a Blu-Ray. That product was created for suckers. Just one last attempt at bleeding your pockets before you realized the world went full internet.

Also, who "rents movies from YouTube"? LOL LOL

Not only can't we let go of old technology, we gotta re watch old ass shit too.
I have some of my favorite old movies stored on external hard drive and cloud storage. And I can route all of it to my phone, tablet, laptop, desktop and TV or anywhere else in the world. Hell, I have access to over 800 albums of music by my phone.

Fucka' DVD.

Been at least 15 years since I bought a DVD. Never bought a Blu-Ray. That product was created for suckers. Just one last attempt at bleeding your pockets before you realized the world went full internet.

Also, who "rents movies from YouTube"? LOL LOL

I rarely do when I can't get a stream to work and I'm frustrated and would rather pay $3.99 than fight with it

I still buy DVDs and BluRays for that cozy 00 core feeling of watching them on my TV.

I think the last movie I bought was M by Fritz Lang, which is really good. I also bought In Bruges, which I hated.

Have you considered buying a DVD storage thing with plastic sleeves and getting rid of all of the cases?

I thought about it and then I just realized in the end it's a losing battle with owning media because I have had multiple copies of the same movie and theoretically I could end up buying the same movie every 7-10 years or so which is a compounded problem when you actually talk about having a collection. If you are old enough you could have ended up having Blade Runner on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Bluray and UHD Bluray.

I will say the great thing about HD Bluray is thats it's actually cheap outside of brand new releases but since last year I'm at the point where I don't want to buy anything under UHD since my next TV will be a UHD one(I'm hanging on to my plasma still as it's excellent with HD sources).

When I eventually get a UHD tv(probably OLED) I'll evaluate things on wether or not I'll grab a UHD Bluray player. 4K streaming is pretty damn good now though still can tend to fall apart with fast action and dark scenes due to compression artifacts.

I thought about it and then I just realized in the end it's a losing battle with owning media because I have had multiple copies of the same movie and theoretically I could end up buying the same movie every 7-10 years or so which is a compounded problem when you actually talk about having a collection. If you are old enough you could have ended up having Blade Runner on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Bluray and UHD Bluray.

I will say the great thing about HD Bluray is thats it's actually cheap outside of brand new releases but since last year I'm at the point where I don't want to buy anything under UHD since my next TV will be a UHD one(I'm hanging on to my plasma still as it's excellent with HD sources).

When I eventually get a UHD tv(probably OLED) I'll evaluate things on wether or not I'll grab a UHD Bluray player. 4K streaming is pretty damn good now though still can tend to fall apart with fast action and dark scenes due to compression artifacts.

I love comedies and the wife love horror movies

She's not often in the mood for comedies and I don't care for horror movies

so when we combined collections we had hardly any duplicates

I should make a thread asking about duplicates

Guys I had an energy drink today

I have an OLED. 4k Bluray is definitely what you want. As you said, the 4k streaming is good, but the discs are much better.

I have some of my favorite old movies stored on external hard drive and cloud storage. And I can route all of it to my phone, tablet, laptop, desktop and TV or anywhere else in the world. Hell, I have access to over 800 albums of music by my phone.

Fucka' DVD.

i still buy dvds.

ive got a collection +200 and they are so cheap now it doesnt make sense to stop buying them.

also i always like having a physical copy of media, specially movies for some reason.

but i havent bought a cd in years. 10 or so.
Here's a great reason to stop buying them:

• In 20 years, DVD players will start at $400 and repairs on your current $200 machine will be a $100 starting.
  • You can find all that shit online.
  • You can store them more efficiently online. You view your collection anywhere in the world.
  • They will eventually stop making TVs that can connect to DVD players. So you'll need to buy adapters.
  • It's retarded. It's like people who still bought 8 tracks tens years after everyone stopped. Eventually the quality of DVD players will drop significantly, reducing any perceived "high quality" or the cost of good DVD players will increase dramatically.

Your alternative seems to be basically pirating though, I mean if something can't be got hold of for a decent price yeah I'v nothing against that but obviously its not sustainable if everyone did it.

Most official online streaming services have a range of films that's much more limited than what you can pickup on hard media and often in worse quality plus you tied to constantly paying for it month on month.

I wasn't actually THAT big a buyer of hard media in the past because the price was prohibitive but these days it really is getting very cheap indeed and I'v built up a very sizeble collection of cinema I enjoy in good quality without paying that much.

I am 37 and had been collecting since I was about 20. About 10 years ago I stopped buying new and only bought used or out of the $5 bin at Walmart. My wife would buy me new DVDs/Bluray for Christmas/birthday.

About a year ago I realized I never watched them and always used my Netflix/Hulu/Amazon when I wanted to watch something. I put them on FB marketplace. I had over 2,000 hard copies and now I am down to around 230 left that I just can't get rid of

Back