International Where is the caravan?

A bet was offered to another poster earlier in the thread. I said if the caravan approaches the US border that coverage would spike again which I contend wouldn’t happen if the implications of the OP were correct. It was offered as a sort of “put your money where your mouth is” statement. The poster i was conversing with quickly dropped the issue as per the intent of the offer. Franklinstower jumped in mid conversation and is having trouble grasping this. He’s upset that I’m not crafting what he considers to be a reasonable sig bet.
What are you even talking about? OP's point was that the caravan was not a threat and not worth the completely overblown news coverage and fear mongering. The motives of this coverage became clear when it went from being covered nonstop 24/7 with taglines of "disease, invasion, national threat, act of war, rapes, ISIS, Hamas, DANGER" so on, then hardly any mention at all from one day to the next. Whether or not they will cover it again to push the fear mongering narrative has no barring on the point at all. One does not exclude the other. That's what your'e not understanding. Me not wanting to bet against them blowing this up again at some point doesn't lend any credence to the content of the coverage, nor the motive. In fact, it supports the contrary because I know they have no qualms being completely dishonest to fit their narrative.

What's important here is if you think that the coverage was legitimate, and that the caravan is an act of war against he US a national level threat invasion. Do you?

This is barely covered since election. Fox had this on 24/7 now it seems like a blip on the radar.
Hannity was fear minegeing all over his radio show leading up to the elections now you don’t hear a thing from him about it
Wait so you watch fox news AND listen to Sean hannitys radio show???

I have gravely underestimated the lunacy of this place. My fucking god.

I like the idea of discussing the Caravan in the backdrop of a snarky rant thread and discussing it as if it's crucial to the conversation to know what the TS could have meant. This karate forum is meta as hell.
It's snarky calling out the hilariously predictable Donald Trump for pretending to care about an issue and dropping it immediately after the election? And frankly this thread is calling out the right wingers on this site who did the exact same thing Trump did. That megathread on the caravan is dead...because nobody really gave a shit in the first place. Smarter dumb people "Trumped" the subject up to turn out dumber dumb people.

They're swimming all the way to Alaska now.

It's snarky calling out the hilariously predictable Donald Trump for pretending to care about an issue and dropping it immediately after the election? And frankly this thread is calling out the right wingers on this site who did the exact same thing Trump did. That megathread on the caravan is dead...because nobody really gave a shit in the first place. Smarter dumb people "Trumped" the subject up to turn out dumber dumb people.

I ain't mad. If you want to make a thread to talk about the caravan, go for it. I for one think that you should just be able to make a thread and just call it Caravan Discussion, and you're off to the races, op be damned. But don't try to act like you made some highly informative and thought-provoking thread, you made a snarky rant thread, own it.

Wait so you watch fox news AND listen to Sean hannitys radio show???

I have gravely underestimated the lunacy of this place. My fucking god.

I don’t watch it religiously but I def turn it on. AND when I’m in the car I listen to Hannitys radio show. Give it a try it’s fucking hysterical. Some shows he just lies the entire time without missing a beat.

Doesn't this usually happen? When a bigger event happens the last one doesn't get much coverage.

Is talking about thousands in an organized block trying to get in at one time considered fear mongering?

Are people not supposed to be concerned about that?

It was the most important thing on earth and the very next day it was basically gone.

I ain't mad. If you want to make a thread to talk about the caravan, go for it. I for one think that you should just be able to make a thread and just call it Caravan Discussion, and you're off to the races, op be damned. But don't try to act like you made some highly informative and thought-provoking thread, you made a snarky rant thread, own it.
I made a snarky captain obvious thread. There is no discussion of the caravan itself, because it's a total non issue for this country. Sending the military to the border to further a political goal is a joke and not one of the conservatives on this forum, as far as I can tell, has called that out as the travesty and disgrace it was. Wanna give that a go or just call me a snarky ranter and be above it all?

Those bad hombres, are now cold hombres! Now the muchachos are getting borachos! Show us your taxes Mr. President, what do you have to hide?

No. The OP suggests that the issue simply disappeared and/or was never really an issue to begin with. If either of those is true then it will not come back.

You can't have it both ways.

If it's such an immediate and concerning issue which necessitates sending 2000 soldiers to the border, then there is no reason to start ignoring it now.

If the issue wasn't that pressing in the first place, then why did Trump send troops to the border when the caravan is literally months away from being able to walk to the US-Mexico border?

I made a snarky captain obvious thread. There is no discussion of the caravan itself, because it's a total non issue for this country. Sending the military to the border to further a political goal is a joke and not one of the conservatives on this forum, as far as I can tell, has called that out as the travesty and disgrace it was. Wanna give that a go or just call me a snarky ranter and be above it all?

As opposed to asking me my opinions on the entire saga, of which there are many different perspectives and areas one can examine, you're asking me to "call out" what you personally consider to be "a disgrace"? That's no way to discuss things, and this attitude is indicative of your snarky low-content OP.

This issue is greater than the individual caravan itself, it now represents border security and sovereignty as a whole. It's equally if not more about principle at this point.

As opposed to asking me my opinions on the entire saga, of which there are many different perspectives and areas one can examine, you're asking me to "call out" what you personally consider to be "a disgrace"? That's no way to discuss things, and this attitude is indicative of your snarky low-content OP.

This issue is greater than the individual caravan itself, it now represents border security and sovereignty as a whole. It's equally if not more about principle at this point.
You could have just avoided that first paragraph and said "it's not a disgrace"...

And of course it's about more than just the caravan, it's about the middle eastern terrorists within the caravans.

It was a bullshit political stunt by Trump and a rallying cry aimed at a generally uneducated, fearful voter base (no, not all Trump voters), that was the point of the thread and I apologize for not defining that better and doing so snarkily.

Thousands in an organized block attempting to enter your country all at the same time is very concerning. Do you think troops shouldn't be sent?

There is still news coverage it's just that the election caused the major news stations to push it aside. Chances are pretty good that they start covering it again when it's at the border.

I'm not saying troops shouldn't be sent, I'm questioning the timing of Trump making such a big production about sending the military to the border when the caravan is literally months away from walking to the US-Mexico border.

I think the OP has a point, he's just going about making it in the wrong way.

You could argue that he sent them there as a warning and show of force that would then convince the caravan to turn back. Why bother when troops are now there to stop you?

Does the cost of sending them a month before they are needed sway your opinion at all?

People have already pointed out that there is still news coverage.

People are still concerned about it but the election happened which was a big event that major news stations wanted to cover.

Those kids from Florida was the most important thing ever but people eventually stopped talking about them. Doesn't mean people didn't really care and still aren't concerned about people losing their minds.

Wrong, the very next day it wasn’t barely a blip in the radar.

Come back and play again when you know what you’re talking about

You could have just avoided that first paragraph and said "it's not a disgrace"...

And of course it's about more than just the caravan, it's about the middle eastern terrorists within the caravans.

It was a bullshit political stunt by Trump and a rallying cry aimed at a generally uneducated, fearful voter base (no, not all Trump voters), that was the point of the thread and I apologize for not defining that better and doing so snarkily.

I agree and disagree. I think it's obvious that Trump focused on the caravan to help him win the Midterms, but that's not to say that it's his only motive for doing so. Given the state of immigration today, I don't think it's a disgrace Trump would send the military to the border even if I agree it's partly political or even an exaggeration, because I believe it's also symbolic.

I'm personally sick of the anti-American sentiment in immigration talks, as well as the sense of entitlement and disdain from some non-citizens and/or those who support them, and I'm not alone. If you reject this view, you will naturally see the caravan and the response to it differently.

You could argue that he sent them there as a warning and show of force that would then convince the caravan to turn back. Why bother when troops are now there to stop you?

Ya, I thought of that after I made my post to you. It could've been a "show of force" plan, but it just seems a little shady given the caravan is on foot, and they are still like 1500 miles away from the US border. If we completely remove debate about the actual necessity for troops to secure our borders, and just focus on the timing of the troop placement, that's where I think arguments should start in regards to Trump sensationalizing something right before the elections.

The thread title and OP say otherwise.

Its like the TS has no idea what he's talking about, and doesn't realize that it was still months away from reaching the US when they were talking about it. They didn't arrive yesterday though, so they must've been scared off, or made up.

I think you are missing the point, or don't understand hyperbole. TS doesn't mean it literally vanished, he means that now that the midterms are done, it's become irrelevant and no one is using it to fear monger voters anymore

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back