Where would you/where to train full time?

I will say Marcelo's has my main eye. Does anyone have thoughts on it from firsthand experience dealing with them or maybe you know them well somehow?

i'll either move to the bay area and train at ralph's and with cal, or i'll move to denver and beat the shit out of uchi mata

Marcelo Garcia's. Though if you were really interested in gi specific ultra sport BJJ, AOJ or Atos would be great as well.

If you're a real self starter and speak Portuguese, Cicero Costha's in Sao Paulo has produced some top guys who started with almost literally nothing.

1. How often exactly is Marcelo teaching beginner classes?

2. How hard is the training? I've been places where nobody worked hard and it was boring. everyone talked and rolled like it was the 70+ age category unless I happen to be rolling with one of the other young guys who liked to compete or maybe a wrestler. but we all know those guys are crazy.

3. how much respect will lower belts get there? not that I would expect any just as the new guy, but I understand nobody believes when anyone except championship purple belt says "I'm going to train full time and this will be my life" see what I'm saying? Will I get smashed to bits because I'm trying to emulate the high ranking, professional competitors? Not that that is bad but I'd like to know if I will or not.

1. How often exactly is Marcelo teaching beginner classes?

MG usually teaches 2x a day but it's usually the advanced classes. However the 12:30 advanced class does allow all belt colors.

2. How hard is the training? I've been places where nobody worked hard and it was boring. everyone talked and rolled like it was the 70+ age category unless I happen to be rolling with one of the other young guys who liked to compete or maybe a wrestler. but we all know those guys are crazy.

Training is however tough you make it. You have the chance to roll with killers known and unknown. Recreational guys too but everyone for the most part trains hard and serious.

3. how much respect will lower belts get there? not that I would expect any just as the new guy, but I understand nobody believes when anyone except championship purple belt says "I'm going to train full time and this will be my life" see what I'm saying? Will I get smashed to bits because I'm trying to emulate the high ranking, professional competitors? Not that that is bad but I'd like to know if I will or not.

Work ethic gets noticed. We have a kid here whose only been training 3 years and went white to purple already. He trains hard, has become one of Gianni's main drilling partners. IF you work hard and come in everyday you'll get noticed that just how it works I feel. If you come frequently train hard put in the work people we'll give you respect if thats your goal. To be honest though some of the most respected guys in the gym are the guys holding down fulltime jobs, families and still putting time in the mat. So it's all in perspective.

Tell me more about the brown belt dream team and how they trained full time? I saw a reddit post about it but it wasnt really deep

Can't go wrong with Marcelo's academy. However, i train at an Alliance affiliate so Im a bit biased lol. Rafael Lovato is also one of my favorites, however I don't know if he has any guys from his school that competes and trains BJJ full time?

Tell me more about the brown belt dream team and how they trained full time? I saw a reddit post about it but it wasnt really deep

They each have their own routine and method to their madness which is pretty impressive. The basis is fundamentally just training 2x a day M-F. Gianni I would say drills the most obviously. The other guys only drill before worlds to make sure their A game is sharp. Some of them lift but not all. The most important thing I think is that they train in an environment where they will always improve or they will get beat up. It's like if guy A usually can sweep b but one day he can't he's going work his ass off to be able to sweep guy b again and vice versa it's a mini competition within itself so I feel thats why they get so good.

I mean how do they train full time when most of them didnt even train their whole career at Marcelo's? Howd that even happen when obvious they weren't exactly rich people, but they move to new York and train full time?

Depends on each individual. Essentially the formula has been live with parents or family member in NY. Find a cheap apartment in like Queens/BK/Long Island. Find a job that allows you to train full-time train full-time become a beast than eventually work for the academy. It's not like you have to be invited to train fulltime. For example one guy is training fulltime saved up money from his corporate job and is working odd jobs to train fulltime. Another guy started a BJJ Brand to sustain himself

I'm not too immersed in the NT scene, but it seems like the three gyms that are competing the most are Genesis, Mohler's, and Lutter's.
Guy Mezger (owns gym in Addison) recently brought over a legit Checkmat BJJ black belt named Keiser Girao a few years back and he's building and empire at the gym (he's a former coach of team nogeueira ). Checkmat (what the team is called) actually narrowly beat team Alvarez for 1st place last year at the Texas open.

I would check them out (the amount they've done competition wise in such a short span is scary, they are only going up). Not only that but for the price of BJJ you also get freaking Guy Mezger teaching you how to strike

I would love to train under the Mendes bros at AOJ

I really wish I had the money or connections to do so. Being a broke ass student sucks, but hopefully one day that dream can come true...without me getting too old.

Guy Mezger (owns gym in Addison) recently brought over a legit Checkmat BJJ black belt named Keiser Girao a few years back and he's building and empire at the gym (he's a former coach of team nogeueira ). Checkmat (what the team is called) actually narrowly beat team Alvarez for 1st place last year at the Texas open.

I would check them out (the amount they've done competition wise in such a short span is scary, they are only going up). Not only that but for the price of BJJ you also get freaking Guy Mezger teaching you how to strike
No...just no.

I'm curious, did they beat Alvarez with one academy or did they add up team points from multiple academies? If multiple, how many academies? Locally,Checkmat has grown rapidly from established academies affiliating with them.So now they are having success in tournaments from sheer numbers even though none of the individual academies are having much observable success.

Depends on each individual. Essentially the formula has been live with parents or family member in NY. Find a cheap apartment in like Queens/BK/Long Island. Find a job that allows you to train full-time train full-time become a beast than eventually work for the academy. It's not like you have to be invited to train fulltime. For example one guy is training fulltime saved up money from his corporate job and is working odd jobs to train fulltime. Another guy started a BJJ Brand to sustain himself

The dream is to train at Marcelo's like this. If I wasn't married, I'd be there like a nomad.

I'm curious, did they beat Alvarez with one academy or did they add up team points from multiple academies? If multiple, how many academies? Locally,Checkmat has grown rapidly from established academies affiliating with them.So now they are having success in tournaments from sheer numbers even though none of the individual academies are having much observable success.
it was 3-4 school .

I've always been enamored with NU schools. Gustavo, Robson and Dede are all instructors I'd love to train under.

Back