Who had the better MMA career: Jake Shields or Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
Jake has a lot of great wins such as Hendo, Condit, Maia, Lawler, Kampmann, Thompson, Okami. Jake Shields MMA career is crazy underrated he never got the respect he deserved.

Ben had a solid career but it's pretty clearly Shields by a wide margin.

Askren has always been criminally overrated more like..

You had his fanbase on here suggesting he could beat Usman.

He was a significantly better wrestler than usman. And with all of Bens fights they would have wrestled. No wrestling based fighter would have ever beaten Ben in his prime. He makes you work the entire time until you pretty much give up from fatigue and accumulation as he’s making you work and punching and kneeing on the ground

askren was so good implementing his game everyone knew what he was going to do and nobody could stop it outside of a great fight with Hieron.

Ben was fighting champions in like a year or two of getting in the sport.

by the time he went to the ufc he literally needed a new hip.

mma fans thought he was a lay and pray fighter but he is one of the most active wrestlers in the history of the sport.
Even in wrestling he was crazy exciting and. Pinned

his last two years he was like 90-0. Won the hodge trophy both years. I think he was 150 or so and 8.

he had 91 pins. Which is insane. All American 4 years and was in the finals 4 years. Less than a handful of guys have done that.

Nobody is looking to wrestle with usman. That’s what Ben would do and his significantly better than him at it.

keep in mind usman wasn’t finishing anyone except for his last couple. Askren and usman have about the same amount of kos. And Ben has many more submissions as usman may have 1. Usman finished one guy in 5 years in the ufc.

It would have been a great fight at a point in time. Especially if he didn’t retire for the 2 years

I’m not saying askren would have won or not. But it would have been an interesting match up

Similar styles, similar legacies. The answer to me is obvious but please discuss I want to see how far gone some folks are.

If it's that obvious and it is, it's probably not thread worthy.

Shields by far
Also he wouldn't be knocked out by Paul, he has an atg chin

I'm not sure, I've also been wondering who had the better MMA career between Jan Nortje and Cain Velasquez.

Jake Shields, and it's even comparable really. He has beaten some of the best guys on the world and the ones who are P4P ranked for years.

Jake Shields... and it is not even close...

I like Askren... but Shields has to be regarded as one of the best ever at 170 with wins over Hendo, Woodley, Lawler, Maia, Sakurai, Condit, Kampmann, Daley and Jason Miller...

Ben was unfortunate to not be able to compete in the UFC during his prime, but his resume is seriously lacking when comparing it to a guy like Shields... Ben's best wins were a a green Lima (he had experience, but evolved ALOT after that fight), LW Aoki, and a ringworn Lawler.

I am not trying to take anything away from Ben, I think it is sad that many people will use the Paul fight to judge his legacy (which is TOTALLY BS), but his resume is not anywhere near Shields.

This. OP is gone for even thinking this is even a slightly fair comparison. Ben had a good run outside UFC, but so do lots of people.

Sheilds has better wins but Ben Askren seemed like he had more fun doing it.

Current Lima and Koreshkov sure not the versions that Askren beat.

2012/13 Lima and Koreshkov werent top WWs like theyve been in recent years. They werent even better than Jay Hieron back in that time frame and Jay arguably beat Ben

Amousso and Lyman are the only other relevant WW Askren beat before the Robbie debacle.

Aleksakhin is a legit win too, although like Lima and Koreshkov he was pre-prime.

One of the best WW and MW’s of all time.

Or

A guy who went undefeated in the minor leagues, came to the ufc and started getting wrecked.

Lemme stew on this one for a bit

Shields had a better career, but not by much like people here says.

Ben Askren was an undefeated Bellator and ONE champion, 18-0, then he retired from mma.
It doesn't get much better than that.

His UFC stint should be taken with a grain of salt, he was really retired and not training for mma anymore, and he had a bad hip.

In Askren defense he has greater highlights but in his losses plus the comeback win over Lawler, took a beating then got a sub sort of. But in terms of beating greater competition Ben wasted away as big fish littler ponds, so give nod to Jake, still Ben had a pretty good career. Ben probably made more $.

Back