Who would you pick to beat Roy Jones in his prime?

From 160-175lbs, absolutely nobody. It's truly rare to be able to say that about a fighter across 3 weight classes.
At 175lbs, it does get a bit riskier, but quite frankly he looked invincible there, too.
There's two men that have the biggest chance:
Monzon at 160 and Charles at 175. But I don't rate their chances much.
I cannot believe people are saying Andre Ward. Bizarre. I think he loses 9-3 at very least.

Have you actually watched Monzon’s fights, there is no way he could deal RJJ’s speed

in a street fight: Andre Ward

boxing rules: Hagler?
HW- Tyson, Lewis, Ali, Foreman, Holyfield

So why would you ever go by some mans
Opinion over what you can actually see for yourself.

Rickson Gracie is 400 and 0 super well rounded never lost a fight ever.

I know you look at the tape and can see he’s human but I’ve seen the fights not on tape and he did everything better than every fighter b fire and after him.

That’s the only reason a boxing fan would ever say srr is the best ever.

Maybe he was but certainly he’s not if you watch his actual fights.
But fuck that. Some old guy told me that’s only like 30% of how good he actually was so I’m gonna go with this mans opinion and just say he’s the greatest fighter I too have seen. Because even Roy Jones jr. was in slow motion compared to srr. Just don’t look at the tapes! Ask an old guy and trust his memory.
1) SRR does look great on tape imo, 2) Plenty of people look great vs. weaker competition, or good vs. good competition, and then terrible vs. truly great competition, I've never immersed myself in boxing from those earlier time periods so it's hard for me to judge without a deeper understanding/appreciation of the boxing landscape at the time, 3) The tape available is thought to be after-his-best and it's also low fps which makes things look slow and jerky, 4) I didn't say SRR would beat RJJ or that what other people say about him is necessarily correct. It was just a guess as to someone who might be able to based on his legacy, because I don't think any fighter of the last few generations, where I do know the boxing landscape and can evaluate them more properly, would be able to.

Same ages and moving weight classes isnt the same thing. Got it.

So washed that he just beat Ruiz. Got it.

If you want to play the mileage game then factor in ammateur fights and by 33 I believe Ward had more fights than RJJ.

Jones had more reported amateur fights (for as much as you can trust those numbers) than Ward did, so there is no reason to assume he had more total fights than Jones. It is clear as day that Roy was significantly diminished after cutting down from HW (his physical tools were already slipping before Ruiz, but the decline was accelerated after the weight fluctuation). I've never really thought there is much about Tarver as a fighter that would make him stylistically problematic for a prime Roy Jones Jr.. He was very similar to Eric Harding (a man who soundly beat Tarver immediately before fighting Roy), and a prime Jones destroyed Harding.

Jones had more reported amateur fights (for as much as you can trust those numbers) than Ward did, so there is no reason to assume he had more total fights than Jones. It is clear as day that Roy was significantly diminished after cutting down from HW (his physical tools were already slipping before Ruiz, but the decline was accelerated after the weight fluctuation). I've never really thought there is much about Tarver as a fighter that would make him stylistically problematic for a prime Roy Jones Jr.. He was very similar to Eric Harding (a man who soundly beat Tarver immediately before fighting Roy), and a prime Jones destroyed Harding.
Do you think Ward was at his prime when he fought Kovalev?

Im a bit taken back that RJJ can get a list of passes for struggling against quality opposition but then those same standards arent used for the other side of the discussion.

Im a bit taken back that RJJ can get a list of passes for struggling against quality opposition but then those same standards arent used for the other side of the discussion.

Not far from it, but no, especially not the first time when he was still pretty clearly rusty. I'm not someone who thinks Ward gets destroyed by Jones; I just don't think he matches up well with with him.

As for Jones Jr. getting a pass, he doesn't on his resume. We're talking peak against peak, though. I think it's abundantly clear that he declined a lot as a fighter as he aged. As it's always said, he was a fighter who was extremely reliant on being perhaps the biggest athletic freak in boxing history. When those freak attributes began to slip, he struggled a ton. Part of his big decline was based on what was likely always his questionable durability. That questionable durability is why fighters who are generally lesser fighters than Ward may be given a better chance than Ward against Jones (as Ward has never been a puncher).

Not far from it, but no, especially not the first time when he was still pretty clearly rusty. I'm not someone who thinks Ward gets destroyed by Jones; I just don't think he matches up well with with him.

As for Jones Jr. getting a pass, he doesn't on his resume. We're talking peak against peak, though. I think it's abundantly clear that he declined a lot as a fighter as he aged. As it's always said, he was a fighter who was extremely reliant on being perhaps the biggest athletic freak in boxing history. When those freak attributes began to slip, he struggled a ton. Part of his big decline was based on what was likely always his questionable durability. That questionable durability is why fighters who are generally lesser fighters than Ward may be given a better chance than Ward against Jones (as Ward has never been a puncher).
I think Ward matches up pretty well with him tbh. His ruthless and nasty infighting especially.

I'd definitely favor RJJ over Ward, but honestly, those saying Ward doesn't have a chance aren't give him his just due. One of the most well rounded and complete fighters of the last 25 years for sure, probably ever. His weakness were his lack of power and maybe minor stamina issues, that's basically it.

Have you actually watched Monzon’s fights, there is no way he could deal RJJ’s speed
I am a big fan of Monzon. He is the best ring general I've seen and he would bring the tempo of the fight down to suit him. It is almost bewildering how he is one of the best ever given his footage just doesn't immediately strike people as impressive.

Same ages and moving weight classes isnt the same thing. Got it.

So washed that he just beat Ruiz. Got it.

If you want to play the mileage game then factor in ammateur fights and by 33 I believe Ward had more fights than RJJ.

Are you deliberately trying to be thick headed? Its not moving up for Ruiz that killed his body, it was moving back down for Tarver. Did Ward move back down to 168 after the Kovalev fight? Astonishing that you can't grasp this simple concept.

I’ve already posted one of Roy’s title runs and it’s resume so if you want to see it go back.

Roy was amazing to watch in his prime. But a bit like golovkin people only pick Roy vs anyone via ko based on him knocking people out who weren’t even close to his level.

Are you deliberately trying to be thick headed? Its not moving up for Ruiz that killed his body, it was moving back down for Tarver. Did Ward move back down to 168 after the Kovalev fight? Astonishing that you can't grasp this simple concept.
Not at all I just believe youre giving RJJ a pass for extremely similar situations that you tried to knock Ward for.

He struggled and lost to lesser fighters than Ward. Thats my point.

Bob Foster could have KO'd him at 175 and I think a prime Hagler could have found a way to beat a still quite green Roy at 160. Don't think anybody would beat him at 168.

Bob Foster could have KO'd him at 175 and I think a prime Hagler could have found a way to beat a still quite green Roy at 160. Don't think anybody would beat him at 168.
I forgot about Foster. Yeah Foster would definitely KO him IMO

Maybe Thomas Hearns. Hearns IMO should of won his fight against SRL at 168.

From my era (the 80s) I'd pick Marvin Hagler and Thomas Hearns at 160lb. At light heavyweight, probably Dwight Muhammad qawi who was formidable, and Michael Spinks.

I think he was in his prime but lost a step because of his inactivity. He's only 33.

I respect Ward's resume even if I don't care for him as a fighter, but I struggle to see anyone on there that would lead me to believe he could handle what Roy brought to the table at his absolute best.

Best shots:
LHW-Foster, Spinks: 45% chances, McCallum, Ward: 35-40% chances
MW- Hagler:40% chances, Monzon, Hearns: 35% chances.
So, nobody.

Best shots:
LHW-Foster, Spinks: 45% chances, McCallum, Ward: 35-40% chances
MW- Hagler:40% chances, Monzon, Hearns: 35% chances.
So, nobody.
I don’t think you understand what chance means. If people have a nearly 50/50 shot in your opinion that doesn’t equate to nobody being able to beat him in his prime...

Back