Why are "kids" allowed to get charged as adults?

commit an adult crime, get fucked like an adult.

By contrast, how about when an adult commits a childish crime (vandalism, shoplifting, etc.), why don't we charge them as minors?

It seems to be a misbalance of justice when prosecutors can argue to try a child as an adult but the defense can't argue to try an adult as a child.

The adult justice system is equipped to handle those types of crimes, so why wouldn't they handle them? The juvenile system, however, isn't equipped to handle all crimes.

The adult legal system is the main legal system for handling all crimes. The juvenile courts are there to take the burden away from the regular courts for small crimes committed by juveniles.

By contrast, how about when an adult commits a childish crime (vandalism, shoplifting, etc.), why don't we charge them as minors?

It seems to be a misbalance of justice when prosecutors can argue to try a child as an adult but the defense can't argue to try an adult as a child.

There are different levels of crime. We usually think of childhood crimes as misdemeanors while the more heinous crimes are felonies. We attach an arbitrary age of adulthood when it changes from person to person. Biologically, adulthood comes with the ability to reproduce but modern society has decreased the responsibilities of children so their mental advance to adulthood is delayed. By the age of 12, humans should know right from wrong.

There were 2 boys, 15 and 16 who did the same thing a couple miles from my house in July of 1991. They dropped a rock the size of a football and killed a man driving a motor home at 1AM. They were not tried as adults and got two years in a juvenile facility. It caused quite an uproar here as most thought they should be tried as adults. Many also wanted their parents charged with crimes as the boys were out after the 10 PM curfew. The parents were kicked out of the rental complex and basically run out of town.

http://www.postbulletin.com/teens-s...cle_a8bcdf30-df5c-5e52-a93f-749ba9cc4560.html

What about those kids that did an armed home invasion in Florida and forced the boy in the house to have sex with his mom then poured cleaning solutions on his eyes and made him drink bleach? Do they get to go to juvie and get out when they're 18?

Dafuq?

Kill them and move on

If I ever get dragged into court I want to be charged as a woman. I hear it's more lenient.

Well people here tend to think it's OK for 30 year old female teachers to have sex with a 16 year old. So you can't have a double standard. If a 16 year old is "adult" enough for sex even though they are technically a "minor" they are old enough to be charged with a crime like an adult.

You can't have it both ways. And ya, grey area too depending on the severity of the crime and the exact age of the kid.

I'll give you a double standard. If the student is a boy than hell yea good job buddy but if it's a girl hang that cocksucker teacher

Also, if kids find out that you can kill people with no repercussions then everyone will be doing it. There's already kids doing other petty crimes knowing "permanent record" is a lie. My nephew said, "I'll stop stealing once I turn 18" when I caught him stealing from stores. He's a smart kid so imagine my disappointment when I caught him but imagine my relieve when he said that line. lol There's something wrong with our system. Like I said 17 and 18 has no difference. Heck even 13 and 18 has no difference.

Once you hit a certain age you pretty much know right from wrong. Are kids more liable to make an irrational decision, of course. Does that mean they should have lesser consequences, absolutely not. For crimes like the one listed above and murder, shit like that, they should be tried as adults and left in YA until they become of age to continue their sentence in prison.

Put it in these terms. Kid comes into your moms house and executes her over some jewelry and a little bit of money, as the victims son how would you want him tried?

Those kids should have been allowed to buy alcohol if they are charged as adults. Maybe they would have gotten drunk and not murdered.

Those kids should have been allowed to buy alcohol if they are charged as adults. Maybe they would have gotten drunk and not murdered.

And if you join the military and can die for your country but can't buy alcohol because you're not 21 that's a travesty too but it's the law.

Don't make excuses that its ok for people to be evil because of their age

If I ever get dragged into court I want to be charged as a woman. I hear it's more lenient.

A local woman shot her husband while he was passed out in bed and got 2 years probation. She claimed years of abuse but didn't have a mark on her. People that knew them said it was her verbally abusing him when they got drunk. She was a mean drunk and he was a happy drunk and just laughed at her.

Also, if kids find out that you can kill people with no repercussions then everyone will be doing it. There's already kids doing other petty crimes knowing "permanent record" is a lie. My nephew said, "I'll stop stealing once I turn 18" when I caught him stealing from stores. He's a smart kid so imagine my disappointment when I caught him but imagine my relieve when he said that line. lol There's something wrong with our system. Like I said 17 and 18 has no difference. Heck even 13 and 18 has no difference.

Gangs used young members to carry drugs and shoot people back when they were never tried as adults.

Immature shit.....charge them as juveys
Evil shit....charge them as adults
This

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Skylar_Neese

It would be stupid to not charge these two girls as adults. They planned to murder their "friend" for months simply because "they did not like her anymore" and then strung the family along helping distribute flyers and tweeting that they hope she comes home soon.

These are sociopaths best kept locked up

It's probably because you're using quotations marks. Historically, airquotes have never gone very far to please the court.

Your "honor," my client is not "guilty" for having "relations with a canine" so much as he is "a victim" of "circumstance."

*gavel slams*

VERDICT: DOG FUCKER!

What about those kids that did an armed home invasion in Florida and forced the boy in the house to have sex with his mom then poured cleaning solutions on his eyes and made him drink bleach? Do they get to go to juvie and get out when they're 18?
I've heard Florida is a hole but this is incredible. I can't even imagine things like this happening in a first world country

I think it should be separated based on the severity of the crime. Non violent offenders should be tried as minors, while those sick violent offenders should just be taken out back and shot. There is no benefit to society in keeping someone like that around.

Serious question. I never heard a good answer. Perhaps you guys could change my mind.

Seems pretty simple to me: If you're a minor, you should get charged as a minor. If you're an adult, you should get charged as an adult.

Do you Agree or disagree?

Sometimes kids commit horrific crimes that cause such a public outrage they need to see some serious punishment.

I saw this one case where this Hispanic 12 year old boy murdered his little brother while Mom was out working or shopping or something by bashing his head into a door for no reason.

I would have ripped that kid apart limb from limb if the judge let me get my hands on him. I have a 13 year old nephew and I was 12, 16 years ago. I knew not to hurt a small child.

A better question is why do people sometimes get more leniency for heinous crimes just because they're not quite 18 yet. If you're old enough to rape or murder someone, then you're old enough to face the same consequences as anyone else for your crime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back