Why are we pretending Gaethje is a bigger win than Volk?

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I understand how susceptible sherdog is to recency bias and now that Max just had the biggest moment of UFC 300 everyone is ready to crown him p4p goat, but y'all must have forgot that the guy had no answer for Volk and failed in 3 attempts to defeat him.

Topuria is like a quicker younger Volk that will hit him much harder, I don't get this narrative that Max is just gonna go back to 145 and take the title.

Gaethje is definitely a solid win, but it's been done before, he's been finished by several dudes before, and he's good but he's simply not a championship level fighter.

I didn't understand all the people saying Max was gonna get dusted in that fight, I was picking Max all the way, one of the most dominant FW champions vs a fringe top 5 LW who never touched a title.

Now I couldn't predict the way Max would beat him of course, I had Max by cruise control decision and we were a second away from exactly that.

I definitely enjoyed the way it went down in the end as much as the next guy.

That said, if Max tries that with Ilia, it will be him that gets sent to the realm of shadows.

That performance does make the fight a bit more interesting because before that I wouldn't even give Max another shot at that title, but I still don't see him winning that fight. Ilia will put his lights out standing and Max is not outgrappling him, forget the final 5 seconds of Max/Justin and snap yourselves back to reality... Max had a great run, but Topuria is the present and the future in that division.

I get that Volk > Gaethje is fucking obvious in a vacuum, but Gaethje is a big, powerful boy compared to Max, this is what people were mainly concerned about - plus the leg kicks (me I thought Max would get a UD after losing the 1st round, I underestimated him too). And it makes sense, reality can go in different ways, you can't just list what happened and then say it was obvious.

Plus, Gaethje has been finished by Alvarez, Nurmagomedov, Oliveira and Poirier, 3 champions and one that easily could have been one. Not exactly scrubs.

You know whats funny? When pereira got knocked out cold and 3 months later he became champ he is called goat but when volk got TKO (he was not out cold against islam) he is washed and not same fighter thats why ilia beat him? Lol. These casuals are funny 😭 if you ask them fighters skill is nothing he has to beat king kong only then he is good

I didn't realize we were, and there is definitely recency bias.

That said, anybody who thinks about this for more than a second or two should conclude that Volk is a much better opponent than Max. MMAth problems aside, Volk convincingly beat Max three times. OBVIOUSLY that guy is better than the guy who lost to Max convincingly once, over 5 rounds.

You know whats funny? When pereira got knocked out cold and 3 months later he became champ he is called goat but when volk got TKO (he was not out cold against islam) he is washed and not same fighter thats why ilia beat him? Lol. These casuals are funny 😭 if you ask them fighters skill is nothing he has to beat king kong only then he is good

It's just recency bias again. If we look at your comparison between how people looked at Alex vs. Volk, the difference is the most recent fight being a win or a loss.

ANY fighter who loses is declared washed and past their prime. If that fighter picks up a win on their next fight, then they suddenly aren't so bad any more.

If Volk dominates in his next fight, you'll see he'll be heralded once again as a fighting god.

I don't think he will though. He is already way past the age for a sucesfull FW champion. Dude is ANCIENT by FW standards.

When did Poatan become champ 3 months after being KOed? Certainly not in the UFC.

He did win an uninspiring decision against 40 year old Jan Blachowicz a few months after being KOed though.

Probably because most were expecting Max to get murdered and winning via KO was also not considered very likely.
And most were being silly, I had Max all the way and didn’t understand why so many were picking Justin. If UFC 300 reconfirmed anything it’s that it’s not that difficult for a guy moving up weight class to be successful in the one above it, just look at Aljo and Pereira.

When did Poatan become champ 3 months after being KOed? Certainly not in the UFC.

He did win an uninspiring decision against 40 year old Jan Blachowicz a few months after being KOed though.
Yea yea my bad anyway he fought 3 months after K.O and won against former champ

I understand how susceptible sherdog is to recency bias and now that Max just had the biggest moment of UFC 300 everyone is ready to crown him p4p goat, but y'all must have forgot that the guy had no answer for Volk and failed in 3 attempts to defeat him.

Topuria is like a quicker younger Volk that will hit him much harder, I don't get this narrative that Max is just gonna go back to 145 and take the title.

Gaethje is definitely a solid win, but it's been done before, he's been finished by several dudes before, and he's good but he's simply not a championship level fighter.

I didn't understand all the people saying Max was gonna get dusted in that fight, I was picking Max all the way, one of the most dominant FW champions vs a fringe top 5 LW who never touched a title.

Now I couldn't predict the way Max would beat him of course, I had Max by cruise control decision and we were a second away from exactly that.

I definitely enjoyed the way it went down in the end as much as the next guy.

That said, if Max tries that with Ilia, it will be him that gets sent to the realm of shadows.

That performance does make the fight a bit more interesting because before that I wouldn't even give Max another shot at that title, but I still don't see him winning that fight. Ilia will put his lights out standing and Max is not outgrappling him, forget the final 5 seconds of Max/Justin and snap yourselves back to reality... Max had a great run, but Topuria is the present and the future in that division.
Cuz Volk is 35 and came back way too soon after being knocked out. You're acting like that doesn't matter for some strange reason.

That was Alex's second loss to Islam, and it was indeed a summary KO.

In comparison, Poatan had literally just beaten Izzy and did it via stoppage, so they were 1-1.

This is setting aside that Alex was still completely green in MMA when he fought for and won the title against a long defending champion, and he was already a multi-division kickboxing world champion. There is not such thing as "GOAT" but you should easily digest the different situations here.

Last edited:
And most were being silly, I had Max all the way and didn’t understand why so many were picking Justin. If UFC 300 reconfirmed anything it’s that it’s not that difficult for a guy moving up weight class to be successful in the one above it, just look at Aljo and Pereira.

You always see these types of posts after a fight is over with and how sure people were of the result.

Decided to check what you said before the fight and here it is:

I’ve been surprised way too many times in this sport to make such assumptions. To me it’s a 50/50 fight, I have no idea who wins and I love it.

Max all the way huh?

Because people are dumb, Gaethe is a not a bigger win than Volk. However, Max is gonnabeat your Idol.

Back