Why BJJ is so expensive

This is true. I trained with a brown belt for years for $60/month, which I consider a fair price.

I refuse to pay $120+ dollars per month for instruction.

I, personally think the going rate for most BJJ instruction is way too high.

Agreed. I have paid as little as $40 a month for BJJ. I would never pay more than $100 and that is stretching it. I am not going pro nor do I care to. I am a casual BJJer and would rather be without it than pay more than $100 per month. BJJ instructors want more for private lessons than my lawyer charges per hour. BJJ privates and seminar rates always make me laugh yet there are people who pay for them. Now if that includes MT, boxing, MMA, maybe a full acess workout room, etc - then I could see somewhat higher prices.

How much do your lawyer charge for one complete hour?

How many private hours and normal classes do you think a BJJ instructors can do without being exausted?

But yeah, you are right, they are people that have no problem spending for BJJ.

There are, indeed, lots of jewish immigrants here. However, BJJ in the country is cheap. The reason for it being cheap here is the reason for it being expensive in the States.

You have big gyms owned by big names in the professional scene and you expect it to be cheap? Every time I hear someone commenting about some gym you americans always spite his lineage and if there isn't someone known on it you do not even seem to care if he can or not be a good instructor. You bring it all upon yourselves.

I think that's just on Sherdog.

There are, indeed, lots of jewish immigrants here. However, BJJ in the country is cheap. The reason for it being cheap here is the reason for it being expensive in the States.

You have big gyms owned by big names in the professional scene and you expect it to be cheap? Every time I hear someone commenting about some gym you americans always spite his lineage and if there isn't someone known on it you do not even seem to care if he can or not be a good instructor. You bring it all upon yourselves.

Well, there are stories of frauds in the past so it is natural for people to be cautios about it.

But even the no name instructors still expect a lot of money if it how they make a lving.

the gym i go to has the prices listed on the webpage. it's $95 a month, gym is open 7 days a week, no gi on saturdays, open mats on sundays. two classes on mondays and wednesdays, one class on the other days. fridays is a bjj 101 class for beginners to go to and get used to the environment if they so choose to go to, anyone else can attend on that day for open mat. 4 black belts, lots of browns, a bunch of purples and blues.

i don't think it's too expensive for what we get for the dollar amount paid.

This whole thread is an over simplistic analysis of BJJ prices.

There are way too many factors that contribute to the prices that BJJ academies can and do charge.

Nobody has even really mentioned the cost of leasing commercial real estate and how that varies by market and it in itself is affected by numerous macro and micro economic factors. Or the fact that most commercial NNN leases go up year after year so that the longer you're in business the more you pay for your space.

So the idea that 'after mats there aren't really any fixed costs' is pretty moronic. In the county where I live the average retail space is $15/sq-ft/year. So you pay $45,000/year for a 3000 sq-ft space, which is enough space for mats, bathrooms, maybe a changing area and shower, front desk, etc. You'll have to pay for construction, mats, heavy bags, etc. So, if your first year you can be in the hole close to $60k if you're opening in my county, which isn't particularly affluent. Then do the calculation in San Francisco, San Diego, LA, NYC or most places where there is a decent population. Then figure that your lease payment goes up 3% per year. Then advertise your business, do maintenance, maybe hire someone so you can take a day or two off every once in a while and the costs start adding up.

Most BJJ is located in markets that can support it. Meaning that people have disposable income and higher than average incomes. This affects the overall price of BJJ as do a huge variety of other factors.

bjj costs alot because it is worth something.

it could be much worse. tkd is just as expensive, and youre buying crap.

just let them bitch Tsunami.

I am pretty sure all those complainers would never go and teach BJJ for free or for really cheap in the future.

I am pretty sure all those complainers would never go and teach BJJ for free or for really cheap in the future.

especially with the volume of things to teach. there is so much to teach and learn all the time, it's like the fundamental list never ends.

especially with the volume of things to teach. there is so much to teach and learn all the time, it's like the fundamental list never ends.

the volume of things to teach and to learn is not too bad if you are organised and make block of classes that covers all the basics and repeat itself to ensure that students are covering again the same topic.

It is just that people keep complaining it is expensive but somehow I dont see them teaching for free or cheaper in the future.

I feel that i am getting a good deal for what i pay. a large school with nice mats and high quality instruction.

some people like to complain.

yep you get a good deal.

big space, lot of instructors.

out of curiosity, I doubt they all make a living of teaching otherwise they would be broke.

Teaching BJJ is stressful BEFORE you get to any of the business aspects of running an academy.

Think about taking a random sampling of 120 f12'ers and what if that was your student body? How would dealing with those personalities, egos, crazy demands, expectations, etc Then throw in to this is how you provide for yourself and you have to make a living, pay the lease on the academy, etc.

That shit is a borderline nightmare.

yep you get a good deal.

big space, lot of instructors.

out of curiosity, I doubt they all make a living of teaching otherwise they would be broke.

they all have regular jobs. there's about a hundred or so students also.

Teaching BJJ is stressful BEFORE you get to any of the business aspects of running an academy.

Teaching BJJ is stressful? Really? Are you familiar with the real world?

BJJ teacher rates pretty fucking low on the occupational stress-o-meter, if you take business ownership out of the equation.

Teaching BJJ is stressful? Really? Are you familiar with the real world?

BJJ teacher rates pretty fucking low on the occupational stress-o-meter, if you take business ownership out of the equation.

I think he meant the human interaction with students's crazy expectations make it stressfull for him.

It depends on individuals I guess.

well there is we go.

there is actually hope for the future.

but how many person willing to do that?

not many.

i didn't think there'd be any other way unless they were world champions and fought professionally, or did dvds and a tour circuit.

i didn't think there'd be any other way unless they were world champions and fought professionally, or did dvds and a tour circuit.

I thought most BJJ academies are run by individual BB instructor that made a living of teaching.

Back