Why is Satanism bad?

Humanism is not inherently selfish the way Satanism is. That's the big difference. If anything, Satanism is a form of religious Objectivism. Worship of the individual and the will to power.

Is "worship" really the best word to use? How does one worship one's self? To me, worship implies setting something on a pedestal above all other things, as something that is inherently better. Being an objectivist and being "selfish" doesn't do that; it just says that one should be concerned with one's own well being above others, and strive for personal fulfillment while everyone else does likewise. And "power" in this context? Do you mean power over others, or just power to determine one's own destiny, circumstances, etc? I think there is a big difference. Maybe there are different stripes of Satanism... well, I'm sure there are, but maybe the main form isn't like The Satanic Temple's version?

These sound pretty damn reasonable.

They aren't unreasonable, but I don't see how that requires any of this goofy shit:
satanicritual1.png

I can follow those same rules and leave the goblets and costumes out of it. Would totally bang Elvira though.

What's wrong with it?

Satanism espouses empowerment for the individual and doesn't take what the Church says for granted. Here...

"each individual is his or her own god [and that] there is no room for any other god". Adherents instead see the character of Satan as an archetype of pride, carnality, liberty, enlightenment, undefiled wisdom, and of a cosmos which Satanists perceive to be motivated by a "dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things".

Top level Freemasons are Satanists. We could have a Satanist president, it wouldn't matter. Believing in any religion anyway is mumbo-jumbo without facts.

Worship power, don't be a slave to symbolism and mediocrity.

To me, Satanism is less threatening than liberalism, Islam, Hinduism, Scientology, Catholicism or evolutionists, because at least they're openly giving props to the entity they represent.

Either way, Jesus is going to squash them all.

Satanism is not generally a real religion. It's a secular philosophy that uses religion as a metaphor.

To me, Satanism is less threatening than liberalism, Islam, Hinduism, Scientology, Catholicism or evolutionists, because at least they're openly giving props to the entity they represent.

You take the term "Satanism" literally? They don't actually worship any entity. They, generally speaking, don't believe Satan is an actual being. It's a metaphor for them. lol

If you were a slave to no one, you wouldn't subscribe to anything. You'd be your own man with no need for guidance,

That doesn't follow.

but you're not since you identify as a satanist. Further, doing God's work, being a good person and having faith, does not preclude you from working hard towards your own personal endeavors.

You take the term "Satanism" literally? They don't actually worship any entity. They, generally speaking, don't believe Satan is an actual being. It's a metaphor for them. lol

And yet they still serve him.

Lol

From the Satanic Temple Website:

Tenets
There are seven fundamental tenets.
One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word

And yet they still serve him.

Lol

This. Let's belong to the Church of Satan... But when we get called on it by People, we'll just say that it's more of a self-help thing.

lol. Ridiculous.

If you're a Satanist, you fucking belong to the Church of Satan. Don't try to make it better than it sounds. Because it's not... It's absolutely cringeworthy.

Probably not ironic that the guy who started this thread goes by the name of "CauseImbetta".

Ha, I didn't even notice that.

I also have trouble comprehending why anyone would want the stigma of being associated with with Satan/Satanism. Sounds like a cry for attention.

This. Let's belong to the Church of Satan... But when we get called on it by People, we'll just say that it's more of a self-help thing.

lol. Ridiculous.

If you're a Satanist, you fucking belong to the Church of Satan. Don't try to make it better than it sounds. Because it's not... It's absolutely cringeworthy.

That is kinda funny.

What about it is off? These are two separate quotes being taken out of context, what are you getting at?

No, what are you talking about? Two separate quotes? I quoted your post which made an unjustified logical leap.

Not being a slave does not entail you don't subscribe to anything. That's ridiculous. And guidance is nothing to do with slavery, either, as long as you aren't submitting mindlessly to that guidance, but considering it freely so that you are free to reject it if you ultimately disagree.

The first part made sense, then you lost me....assuming the man Jesus is god (which only Christians claim) then why would he return (if he is god then he is always here) to crush Catholicism (which is an invented offshoot of invented Christianity in the first place).

Satan is evil. That's the problem with having a Satanic president.

This reply will make most people believe you are crazy. But I've come to realize we just live in two different worlds. Extremely different worlds. I've been trying to understand it since I first saw your posts...

Rip, you're my dude, but you are about as far from normal or mainstream as it gets. You're fringe. And your beliefs are as fringe as they get. I know you see this as a good thing, but it's not. And this sucks, because you're a good family guy. I won't change your mind. I can only hope you start seeing reality... Or questioning why this is the mythology you follow instead of something else and see that it's only this way because you were born in a certain region of the worldand indoctrinated by your family.

I know you're smart enough to see that. And that if you'd been born, say , in Indonesia or sub-Saharan Africa then you'd see things differently and be beholden to a whole different religion. You're a product of your environment and I don't fault you for that... But you've been born into and manipulated by a fallacy.

I wish you could understand that...

That is kinda funny.

lol, for real though Man... Can you imagine telling People about belonging to the Church of SATAN and then giving a whole rehearsed speech about how it's misunderstood. Like telling your Co-workers, your Parents or People you just met?

Then having the balls to call them uninformed and ignorant when People give you a blank, strange stare.

"No, guys... But really. Satan is actually kind of well... More of a metaphor than anything else."

"That's weird? Oh, I'm weird then? Well, guess what Jennifer. You're just ignorant."

lol.

And I can't even imagine telling my Mother something like that. She would smack my face clear off my head. :eek:

No, what are you talking about? Two separate quotes? I quoted your post which made an unjustified logical leap.

Not being a slave does not entail you don't subscribe to anything. That's ridiculous. And guidance is nothing to do with slavery, either, as long as you aren't submitting mindlessly to that guidance, but considering it freely so that you are free to reject it if you ultimately disagree.

You quoted two separate posts and expected me to know what your issue was. There's no illogical leap there. He's obviously looking to satanism for some sort of guidance and does not stand on his own. If he stood on his own he wouldn't have to turn to anything for rules or guidelines on how he should view himself or live his life. He'd be his own boss with his own rules, but that's not him. I equated that to slavery, if you disagree, that's fine. I'm not going to argue the semantics of a term that's being used loosely.

lol. Ridiculous.

They could call it "Nothingism," "Peopleism," or "Humanism*", but yet they decide to name their religion after a known biblical entity.

*Wait, isn't that already a thing?

You quoted two separate posts and expected me to know what your issue was. There's no illogical leap there. He's obviously looking to satanism for some sort of guidance and does not stand on his own. If he stood on his own he wouldn't have to turn to anything for rules or guidelines on how he should view himself or live his life. He'd be his own boss with his own rules, but that's not him. I equated that to slavery, if you disagree, that's fine. I'm not going to argue the semantics of a term that's being used loosely.

I quoted a single post. You just seem to be confused.

You're using the term so loosely it's lost all of its original meaning. Don't argue if you don't want, but it's a nonsensical semantics game on your part.

Further, the "If you were a slave to no one, you wouldn't subscribe to anything" is incredibly silly because it directly implies that everyone that subscribes to something is a slave. Who can live without subscribing to anything? Is everyone a slave? Doesn't make any sense.

lol. Ridiculous.

There is more than one Satanist group out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism#Organizations

Further, the "If you were a slave to no one, you wouldn't subscribe to anything" is incredibly silly because it directly implies that everyone that subscribes to something is a slave. Who can live without subscribing to anything? Is everyone a slave? Doesn't make any sense.

Context man. We're talking about religion.

The first part made sense, then you lost me....assuming the man Jesus is god (which only Christians claim) then why would he return (if he is god then he is always here) to crush Catholicism (which is an invented offshoot of invented Christianity in the first place).

Be patient...

Or questioning why this is the mythology you follow instead of something else and see that it's only this way because you were born in a certain region of the worldand indoctrinated by your family.

I know you're smart enough to see that. And that if you'd been born, say , in Indonesia or sub-Saharan Africa then you'd see things differently and be beholden to a whole different religion. You're a product of your environment and I don't fault you for that... But you've been born into and manipulated by a fallacy.

I wish you could understand that...

I think it should be considered a stroke of luck to be born into those circumstances and not something he needs to be talked out of. You might want to consider that you yourself were also born into circumstances that shaped your belief system, and were also lucky enough that they weren't as fucked as most people in history. At really any other time in history in any other place, with very few exceptions, you would have neither the inclination nor the right to correct anyone's beliefs. Were he born in Indonesia or sub-Saharan Africa, the odds that he'd be "a good family guy" would be much lower.

They could call it "Nothingism," "Peopleism," or "Humanism*", but yet they decide to name their religion after a known biblical entity.

hahah. Yeah, Man. That is not fooling anyone.

Context man. We're talking about religion.

Satanism isn't a religion that accepts an actual deity. It's a secular philosophy that uses religious mythology as a metaphor.

lol, for real though Man... Can you imagine telling People about belonging to the Church of SATAN and then giving a whole rehearsed speech about how it's misunderstood. Like telling your Co-workers, your Parents or People you just met?

Then having the balls to call them uninformed and ignorant when People give you a blank, strange stare.

"No, guys... But really. Satan is actually kind of well... More of a metaphor than anything else."

"That's weird? Oh, I'm weird then? Well, guess what Jennifer. You're just ignorant."

lol.

And I can't even imagine telling my Mother something like that. She would smack my face clear off my head. :eek:

Lol

I think it should be considered a stroke of luck to be born into those circumstances and not something he needs to be talked out of. You might want to consider that you yourself were also born into circumstances that shaped your belief system, and were also lucky enough that they weren't as fucked as most people in history. At really any other time in history in any other place, with very few exceptions, you would have neither the inclination nor the right to correct anyone's beliefs. Were he born in Indonesia or sub-Saharan Africa, the odds that he'd be "a good family guy" would be much lower.

You don't think you should question the beliefs you are presented with from the time you are born? That's a pretty unexamined life. And yes, it was a stroke of luck he was born in a time and place where, even if you are heavily indoctrinated in your youth, you are ultimately free to investigate, and follow your conscience in matters of belief, etc. I'd encourage anyone to take advantage of that, if it is available to them.

If they actually believed the Christian portrayal of Satan, why would you follow it? If you rebel against the dominant Christian theology and philosophy, Lucifer can become a sort of symbolic figure for that. Lucifer is known as "the light bearer" and also as "morning star, son of the dawn" which represents a sort of enlightenment figure, in opposition to what is viewed as an oppressive and dehumanizing belief system in Christianity. The metaphor is similar to the figure of Prometheus the Fire-Bringer in Greek mythology, who brings enlightenment in the form of fire to mankind and is eternally punished for it by Zeus. For people that don't subscribe to such things as literal truths, their usefulness as metaphorical figures remains. Like, if I started an organization known as "The Prometheus Society" or something, dedicated to scientific discovery for the benefit of mankind.

I wouldn't call myself a Satanist whatsoever, personally, but I don't insist on ignoring what a thing is to make it better fit into my world view, like you do.

Reminder: ALL of the atrocities, tortures, and murders in the Bible are by God, not Satan.

All Lucifer wanted to do was give humanity conscience, science, and art. The fruit of knowledge was what gave us free will, and for that God punished us to eternal damnation unless we chant a few words to tell him we acknowledge his son.

History is written by the victors, and the victors here, as they so often are, are the warmongering tyrants that represent God, and not the libertine artists, scientists and lovers that were inspired by Lucifer.

If you still want to follow a jealous, sadistic tyrant then by all means choose YHWH. But I'll be right here chilling with the Dark Lord.

j95MN0q.jpg

#LuciferBless

Fucking aye. So much win in this post.

tumblr_mz3p7aULR51rfd7lko1_400.gif

lol.

I know it's hard for you and people similarly inclined to imagine because you'd rather conform to what society teaches you, to be in the majority. I don't think that the people that identify that way are similarly affected. They are more the type that don't give a damn about what people think about them on the basis of superstition.

You don't think you should question the beliefs you are presented with from the time you are born? That's a pretty unexamined life. And yes, it was a stroke of luck he was born in a time and place where, even if you are heavily indoctrinated in your youth, you are ultimately free to investigate, and follow your conscience in matters of belief, etc. I'd encourage anyone to take advantage of that, if it is available to them.

Questioning and rejecting are different things. The guy is in a bunch of discussions on this site, so it's not like he's being shielded from opposing opinions. If you take some time to examine other people, interactions, and circumstances, you might come to the conclusion that atheism actually isn't always beneficial to everyone. If everyone you care about and trust has a common belief, it's a hard sell to convince them to join an opposing side that's always in an argument about words in the pledge, nativity scenes at Christmas, and other smug, petty arguments that make them seem like miserable people. If Christianity helps someone be a good family person with few conflicts and a sense of community, I'd prefer to congratulate than to condemn.

http://www.humanreligions.info/satan.html#Biblical

There are surprisingly few references to Satan in the Christian Bible. Some references once seen as being references are now known to be otherwise due to better translations, such as that to Lucifer, which we now know refers to an honourable dead king. Even the serpent in the story of Adam and Eve is not Satan (and isn't called Satan) as the Garden of Eden was a perfect paradise and a place free of sin, so Satan could not have been there. It is ridiculous to think that God ejected Adam and Eve from Eden for sinning whilst it allowed Satan itself to creep around there!

Satan wasn't even the name of the opposer for most of the history of Judaism. There was a being called the opposer, or the adversary. So in The Book of Job in the 4th century BCE, a being described as the satan approaches God. "Satan" wasn't its name; the word used means "the opposer". It was only later that "Satan" became a name of a being16.

“In biblical sources the Hebrew term the satan describes an adversarial role. It is not the name of a particular character. Although Hebrew storytellers as early as the sixth century B.C.E. occasionally introduced a supernatural character whom they called the satan, what they meant was any one of the angels sent by God for the specific purpose of blocking or obstructing human activity.”
"The Origin of Satan" by Elaine Pagels (1995)1

Questioning and rejecting are different things. The guy is in a bunch of discussions on this site, so it's not like he's being shielded from opposing opinions. If you take some time to examine other people, interactions, and circumstances, you might come to the conclusion that atheism actually isn't always beneficial to everyone. If everyone you care about and trust has a common belief, it's a hard sell to convince them to join an opposing side that's always in an argument about words in the pledge, nativity scenes at Christmas, and other smug, petty arguments that make them seem like miserable people. If Christianity helps someone be a good family person with few conflicts and a sense of community, I'd prefer to congratulate than to condemn.

I guess the implication is that he isn't really questioning the beliefs, just toeing the party line and parroting what they've been told which I do believe is the case with a lot of religious people. Not all, but a lot of them.

For my part, I'd rather confront the truth than a beautiful lie.

What's smug about those arguments? I mean, it it is smug to have the argument on the side of the atheists, what is it to have the argument on the side of the religious people that insist on that stuff and fuck anyone that doesn't like it?

Yeah, I'm fine with Christians that are good people and don't push their beliefs on others. There are some really good people that are both Christian and non-Christian, imo.

aren't there some cults running around making rituals, dismembering babies and that kind of stuff?

Back