Why is this still happening in 2019, UFC?

StipeClevelandCavaliers.jpg

O-H

I-O

(repping Akron)

I don't have the answer but it is interesting, sometime around his title win against Werdum, he completely dropped the Croatian pride thing. Before that, he was pretty big into it, but I remember he basically only talked about his Cleveland pride immediately after the win and since then. Maybe he just became more comfortable with his being an Ohioan and didn't need the "exotic" Croatian identity anymore, or maybe he had a bad experience in Croatia and it turned him off...who knows? But I noticed a pretty marked shift from always mentioning Croatia to basically never mentioning since his fight with Werdum.
I heard Cro Cop KOed him in sparring and he's still butthurt about it.

If Ngannou has the Cameroon flag, then Overeem should have the English one.

Wtf are you talking about. Ngannou lived in France for like 5 years. There's no way to compare him to Overeem and him leaving in England until he was around 6. He left Cameroon at 26 years old or something like that.

This thread deserves to go to the wasteland
Not really lol.. truth is Spanish Latino America that wasn’t born or raised in Mexico. Nothing wrong with being proud of where your hiragana can from. But at the end of the day he American that grow up as a American.

First is a dude who got koed in a round....

32718758677_82187c7151_h.jpg

I'm confused by the flag shown for Contender #8.

They used to do this with so many fighters to artificially make the UFC seem much larger and more international than it was. It was always stupid, but now it's quite unnecessary. The organization, and the sport at large, is now quite international.

For example, if you go back to his earliest UFC when they would flash rankings screens like this, or for the Tale of the Tape, they would show the Croatian flag for Stipe Miocic. Stipe was born, raised, and trains in Ohio. Notice how they fixed that.

This is so disrespectful. I can't believe Cain allows it. Does he not value his citizenship?

Come on Mick you know the reason. It's because they believe it will make more money. I agree that it's cynical, but it's also not a mystery either. FWIW Cain strongly identifies with his Mexican heritage, and it's possible it could work with some fans in Mexico, especially if he makes another run. Now of course if he was just any Jose Soplo then actual Mexicans in Mexico would reject him.

UFC wants to seem more global so they try to axe as many American flags as possible. They still need to do it apparently.

If I was a fighter I'd rep the Scottish flag despite never having been there before. With my last name being McKenzie I'd clean up with the Scottish audience.

It's what the fighters want. Look at kickboxing, 50% of the fighters are dutch and lived their entire lives in the Netherlands, but they still rep Morroco of Egypt or whatever. They even speak dutch in between rounds. Is normal.

32718758677_82187c7151_h.jpg

I'm confused by the flag shown for Contender #8.

They used to do this with so many fighters to artificially make the UFC seem much larger and more international than it was. It was always stupid, but now it's quite unnecessary. The organization, and the sport at large, is now quite international.

For example, if you go back to his earliest UFC when they would flash rankings screens like this, or for the Tale of the Tape, they would show the Croatian flag for Stipe Miocic. Stipe was born, raised, and trains in Ohio. Notice how they fixed that.

This is so disrespectful. I can't believe Cain allows it. Does he not value his citizenship?
Where do you draw the line? If we wanna split hairs about it Alistair was actually born and raised in England till aged 6 almost 7.

Back