Why McGregor will never be an MMA great.

He will be remember as a great, regardless if you like him or not.

First ever champ-champ, starched Jose Aldo, and crossed over and boxed the GOAT boxer.

Skill wise, McGregor isn't the GOAT, but his promotion, charisma, and accomplishments will have him remembered.

A lot of people consider Muhammad Ali as the boxing GOAT, even though he lost some. His personality is what a lot of people remember. It's hard for any fighter in boxing or MMA to go undefeated.

This is fair. I wouldn't necessarily use the word "great" but semantics. In fact that is my major qualm with McGregor. The charismatic dude that rose to greatness quickly and was a "champ-champ" was not the same guy that we saw prior to this fight. This was a desperate self absorbed idiot with no boundaries (which I believe he had prior) And he backed up zero of it. And then was a coward and couldn't even face the music. I think a ton more people would have respected if he showed up to the presser, had posted anything congratulating khabib, apologizing etc etc. But he didn't. He just made some ridiculous comment about winning the war? WTF. Not only could back up zero of his smack talk, he then just casually has moved on as it all of sudden its not a big deal. So, this is the sign of a man who is a coward and only has bravado in the face of success
Great post!

I think McGregor should get back into 145 shape if he wants to be serious again. Or just stick to circus matches, nothing wrong with that. Fight Diaz, Aldo, Gaejth, etc. I just don’t see the 155 title in grasp if he shows up in the condition he fought khabib in.

He will be remember as a great, regardless if you like him or not.

First ever champ-champ, starched Jose Aldo, and crossed over and boxed the GOAT boxer.

Skill wise, McGregor isn't the GOAT, but his promotion, charisma, and accomplishments will have him remembered.

A lot of people consider Muhammad Ali as the boxing GOAT, even though he lost some. His personality is what a lot of people remember. It's hard for any fighter in boxing or MMA to go undefeated.
Agreed. But thats why this fight lead up was so sad. It wasn't necessary. He could have just done his typical bravado and whatever. But he was off the reservation, and then got completely beaten to hell. Then wasn't man enough to face any of the music about it. Seperate of all the "GOAT" things you listed about him, this fight was truly telling that he has become a pretty sad, disgusting, and weak human

Money talks. He will be remembered over all on your list.
200w.gif
False.

Goat no but he brought the sport to a level I doubt dana even thought was possible

This is mixed martial arts people. You can't be a great, goat or a legend without being well rounded in all areas. All of these fighters, who are frequently mentioned as all-time greats are good with their hands and also solid on the ground.

- Jon Jones
- GSP
- Anderson Silva
- Fedor
- Khabib

McGregor is a one-dimensional boxer and as Khabib has proven, Conor's even over-rated in that area.

Warning folks..
upload_2018-10-19_9-0-24.png

I actually dont think he will remembered that much. New instagram-stars is coming basically each month. He would need to win some more good fights to be remembered for long. But he can maybe get famous and remembered by doing something else.

He never owned a division for years like the true greats. They cleared their divisions and racked up multiple title defenses.
No but instead he ran through every top fighter at FW within 2 years (bar Frankie), KOd the GOAT / p4p #1 in record time and then went up and dominated a man in the next weight class up for his belt too.

Are you kidding?

Conor lost his touch, probably partied hard after the Floyd fight.

Featherweight Conor who beat Aldo beats Khabib at that point in time.

Whereas Khabib a natural welterweight with t rex arms who has seizures killing himself cutting to lightweight is a weight bully who is nowhere near any GOAT list.

Even as a wrestler Woodley and GSP would school him at Welterweight. Tony calls Khabib Team Tiramisu for a reason

"Conor lost his touch, partied too hard" lmao that's a creative one, I haven't heard yet, wink wink..

He'll never be a goat but it doesn't take away the Poirier, Aldo, Alvarez and Nate fights. Overrated but his skills alone deserve respect

It is true thought that McGregor is an extremely skilled fighter. He had a flying knee against Khabib that prbly would have knocked him if it went 2 centimeters to the right. But Khabib fighting instincts is prbly a reason it didnt land correctly. But however McGregor is extremely fast. He could prbly win over Khabib 1 of 4 matches as it is now. But he has the talent to go 2/4 maybe 3/4 if he strengthened his guard game and take down defense. But to do that he needs to stop showing how he celebrates his newfound life of wealth and start going back to the astecian level of discipline and determination it takes to be at top-mode.

9-2 in the UFC
Won 2 belts
Knocked out the FW GOAT in 13 seconds.
Knocked out the LW champ with ease..

Yes he is an MMA great.. And likely not done. He will win more big fights..

I don't nk he is likely to win many more fights. He is on the decline for sure. His best years in MMA are behind him.

GOATS? No.
But Greats? Absolutely yes.

Nobody wins 2 titles as easily as he did without being great.

He think he was made Khabib' bitch by tapping to a face squeeze like that but you guys are discounting Ginger way too much since this last fight.

He is still absolutely top tear.

I don't nk he is likely to win many more fights. He is on the decline for sure. His best years in MMA are behind him.

We will see. His performance a few weeks ago was certainly not good. I obviously expected him to come out and look like himself. But he was fighting a great opponent. So we will see who is fighting next and how he looks..

9-2 in the UFC
Won 2 belts
Knocked out the FW GOAT in 13 seconds.
Knocked out the LW champ with ease..

Yes he is an MMA great.. And likely not done. He will win more big fights..
Has lost 2 fights outside of the UFC, first loss was to a guy who fought at 125.
Has never defended a belt in his career.
Got submitted with ease in each of his losses.
Didn't knock out Alvarez, tko and ko are not the same.

He is not an MMA Great, but he is a very popular fighter for his era.

Back