Wife brings home a surprise today....

Have you checked the O rings?

my battle axe!

most sold semi I believe, a work horse

I have had some feeding troubles thou, doesn't cycle that well with all shells, can't get the hang of how it wants to be oiled???

^^^^yeah that is probably it, when you say it I recall having been told that before

I am looking to buy a new one anyway because i want to be able to switch barrels so I can shot slugs better

Its funny reading all these people drooling over a piece of metal. I dont see whats so special.

Its funny reading all these people drooling over a piece of metal. I dont see whats so special.

These guys collect guns. The same way a comic nerd drools over issue whatever of Spiderman.

These guys collect guns. The same way a comic nerd drools over issue whatever of Spiderman.

Sonny gets it. Also, there's the trading aspect of it- buy low, sell high. Maybe the gun is broken and you can fix it, or you see value in something someone else doesn't, or you know a market the seller isn't aware of.
And it can be interesting learning the minutiae of different weapons, the distinguishing characteristics of each gun. And you meet some interesting people (and a few rude ones).

Happiness is waiting on the UPS truck to bring parts, like I am today. :D

Last edited:
Peace.

Last edited:
edited to clean up

Last edited:
In too good of a mood :D .

Last edited:

Guns are marvelous pieces of engineering. For instance, take the 1911: It was originally designed in the late 1890s and it is still effective and widely used today. How many other mechanical devices have such an enduring design?

How often are you holding something that initiates controlled explosions in your hand?

Many guns have a strong historical element to them as well.

I guess if you have no appreciation for mechanical engineering, history, self defense, or sheer manly power I can understand how you wouldn't see how a gun is something special.

You can replace them cheap, don't buy the Remington brand. What you need is a Viton o-ring (for a 12 gauge it's a size 21). You can get them at hardware stores or online (ebay, Amazon, etc.).

Viton isn't a brand it's the material they're made from.

^^^^yeah that is probably it, when you say it I recall having been told that before

I am looking to buy a new one anyway because i want to be able to switch barrels so I can shot slugs better

Always liked the look of those

but even more awesome is the
mauser_c96_9par.jpg

the Nazis really had a thing for design didn't they?

There's an old joke that goes: if WWII was a fashion contest, we'd all be speaking German right now.:icon_twis

Lugers, Broom-handle Mausers, Schmeiser SMG...Nazi's had some of the sickest kit ever made.

Guns are marvelous pieces of engineering. For instance, take the 1911: It was originally designed in the late 1890s and it is still effective and widely used today. How many other mechanical devices have such an enduring design?

How often are you holding something that initiates controlled explosions in your hand?

And they have character. My first Glock, a 20SF, was sort of muzzle heavy- not like my 6" 686, but there was no weight to the frame. This Luger, all the weight is in your palm, with just the barrel sticking out. The angle is superb. The .44 Ruger Redhawk I sold recently just sort of anchored itself into the palm, and weighted 3 lbs, but it was a cannon.

Found out that the little .22 pump I got is a 1961 vintage Remington, a Fieldmaster 572, and it's action is still tight and positive.

On the downside, the Rem 1100 has a broken butt stock, and will need replacement (if I keep it). Mechanically it's excellent, and the bluing is a mile deep.

Hit the button:
INCEPTION

Pics of the butt stock I refinished Friday night. The refinished one is mounted and the original Russian finished butt is on the ground. I wanted the butt to more closely match the hue and intensity of the hand guards and pistol grip.
DSC03575.jpg

DSC03576.jpg

I used food color, kiln-burnt pine tar, and garnet shellac. I stripped the original finish off by wet-sanding with 100 grit, then 220 grit. I oven-dried it at 220 for about 15 minutes to thoroughly dry it out, and heat it to better absorb the stain (food coloring). To replicate the classic Russian 'iodine' color, like on the hand guards, I used the little bottles of food color mixed with denatured alcohol.

Russian Iodine Red (my own lil' russipee)

1 full bottle Yellow
1/2 bottle of Red
3 drops Green

Mix with about a pint or so of denatured alcohol.

Brushed it on, let it dry for an hour or two, then rubbed the Swedish kiln-burnt (dark) pine tar. I rubbed on just enough to coat it, let it stand for an hour, and wiped the excess off with a piece of old T-shirt. Let stand a half-hour or so to let the pine tar soak in more, then I applied shellac. The neat thing about shellac is that it can be applied right over wet oil if needed- no need to let the oil cure. So I brushed on 5 or 6 very thin coats of garnet shellac, and let that dry. Replace the metalwork, and it's finished.

Last edited:
I should stay out of these threads, only get jealous

spent a while today shooting an old colt 38 revolver, it only got one chamber because that is as much fun we are allowed here.):

my mates family has used it for like 75 years :) , they don't have cattle anymore and the grandfather is too old to set traps for wildlife to so we used up all his reminding ammo

Well the above AK47 is now gone. :D

A fellow came by to look at the Remington and the 30-30. I had the AK out, as I had just photographed it and laid it down in the living room with the other guns. Guy comes by, an older fellow, immediately went to the AK. "How much for the AK?" I told him a price, a high one, as I hadn't really thought about selling it: hell, I just finished the wood, so I said a ridiculous number that I knew was too high, and this old guy knew his AKs, from the way he talked. So we talked....he liked all my prices on the other guns, the rifles and shotguns, and so we had a deal, and then he says to his wife, "Hon, I think I want that AK. It sure would look good on my wall." She says, "Well, it's your money, I like it, so get it if you want it." and he counted out more money.

At that point I was trying to think if I had any more guns to show this guy....

:icon_twis :icon_twis

So I made out like a

smokey-and-the-bandit.jpg

Last edited:
Cleaned the Luger with Eagle One Wadding Polish

DSC03581.jpg

DSC03582.jpg

DSC03583.jpg

Back