Will Dustin Poirier retire if he loses to BSD this weekend?

Will Dustin Poirier retire if he loses to BSD?

• Total voters
If he loses he should just campaign for the Conor fight

The probability is very high

Especially if he gets smoked

If its a close fight that “itch” will def still be there

Honestly I feel he could jump in there and take the Conor fight from Mike since Conor deep down feels he’s better than Porier

All this. Well said.

I think if he gets beaten definitively that he'll retire, but I don't want him to. I've followed, enjoyed, and rooted for him his entire career. But yeah, outside of a TS run or BIG money fight, I suspect he's about done. And an L won't help him achieve either of those (and Conman probably wants none of that smoke at this point anyway).

I never realized it was 5 rounds
Odd choice. As it is not a main event that indicates that both fighters chose to have it be 5 instead of 3.

Maybe Poirier questions BSDs gastank?

Otherwise it just seems like extra milage for Poirier.

i think he might retire for a period of time. but no way hes done for good

Not a chance Poirier calls it a career after this one if it’s a loss, there’s still plenty of paychecks and squatting to do at 155 and 170.

i dont think so. if he loses he might just want to do fun fights for good cash for a while.
however i dont think BSD winning is a lock. Dustin's been through the fire multiple times. i can see him gritting out a decision or maybe even a late sub.

I hope so. He looked really good against Justin before getting caught, but that's how it goes sometimes. I'd love to see him retire before he's getting starched by any prospect they want to push.

If he loses badly probably would be a good idea. He looked soundly behind to gaethje on speed and got set up because of it with that head kick. If he gets demolished against the younger up and comer it might be time to realize he might be getting past it and there isn’t much gain left to be taking more fights outside of a couple more pay days which he probably dosent really need them anymore. He’s been around a long time. Headlined some huge cards. He’s made great money, plus has outside businesses going now. Hanging on for more really only risks taking permanent damage with not much to really gain. I think he’s already made peace with the fact he’s likely not touching undisputed gold. He’d love another shot at it of course, but he hasn’t seemed delusional claiming he’ll still be champ some day

Not a chance Poirier calls it a career after this one if it’s a loss, there’s still plenty of paychecks and squatting to do at 155 and 170.
that's the spirit honestly. Or he can go chase nate diaz around somewhere else he does have options.

I voted yes, because I think he should. But I doubt he will. He made $750K to SHOW in his last fight. No, he may not get that for regular, non-headliner, non-title fights. But if he still gets $350K - $500K for a regular fight like this Saturday, there is NO WAY he retires off a loss this weekend.

I voted yes, because I think he should. But I doubt he will. He made $750K to SHOW in his last fight. No, he may not get that for regular, non-headliner, non-title fights. But if he still gets $350K - $500K for a regular fight like this Saturday, there is NO WAY he retires off a loss this weekend.

This is correct. I believe he’s on 500/500. People act like being a millionaire means you don’t want another million. He’s worked his ass off to get into a position where every fight is super financially worth it. I don’t see him packing it in now that he’s at that stage.

He wins this fight n doesn't retire even if you were to lose he still doesn't retire

Poirier has talked about how "every fight could be his last" in the buildup to this fight vs BSD. He's 35, has had a lot of wars in the cage, and has a lot going for himself business wise outside of fighting.

Do you think he will retire if he loses to BSD? This would be the first time he loses two fights back to back in his entire MMA career, and a loss to BSD would set him further away from the title picture than he has been in the last 5+ years.

I don't think Poirier will want to keep fighting if he knows a title run is realistically out of reach, and there will be no big "money fights" on the horizon for him. What do you think?

If he can score another Conor fight or the Nate Diaz scrap, no way he retires.

With how stacked LW is, and Islam wanting to move up and down weight classes, Dustin can’t afford another loss at this point in his career, especially to an up and comer like BSD

No he'll fight at least one more time. Probanly this and 2-3 more.

If he really gsts hurt and decides to retire I predict he'll do a last retirement fight. The money is good right now and goong out on a win

Honestly he may retire either way. BSD is a good candidate for “bad ass action packed final fight” regardless of outcome

No he will probably end up fighting Nate Diaz or something

Back