Winning Gloves...Are they worth it?

My knuckles been hurting for some reason... think I gotta get some new gloves...
tempted.. trying to justify the price tag though =X

What sort of handwrap are you using? Are you bunching your fist? What gloves are you using now, and what sort of heavy bag are you hitting?

Winnings will greatly help and can help you train through a knuckle injury, but theres other variables involved too.

I was using non elastic handwraps with twins gloves and my knuckles ached like hell on mitts.

I switched to my first pair of winnings and to a mexican style handwrap and it went away almost immediately.

What sort of handwrap are you using? Are you bunching your fist? What gloves are you using now, and what sort of heavy bag are you hitting?

Winnings will greatly help and can help you train through a knuckle injury, but theres other variables involved too.

I was using non elastic handwraps with twins gloves and my knuckles ached like hell on mitts.

I switched to my first pair of winnings and to a mexican style handwrap and it went away almost immediately.

I'm currently using some non-elastic handwraps also with KO or King's gloves...

I placed an order through winning for some 16oz velcros... but my credit card hasn't been charged yet nor has the order been shipped... I emailed them, but still no response.. anyone know how long it usually takes?

a couple days you get charged when he ships it he will be in touch!

he is usually pretty busy and to my knowledge is the only one running the winning usa center. He usually never emails tracking or anything but shipping is usually 2-3 days across the country.

I'm currently using some non-elastic handwraps also with KO or King's gloves...

I placed an order through winning for some 16oz velcros... but my credit card hasn't been charged yet nor has the order been shipped... I emailed them, but still no response.. anyone know how long it usually takes?

Id suggest you get the Mexican style handwraps from everlast (180") or ringside, or Cleto Reyes (but not the ringside reyes as they are not elastic). Winning sells a 17x" one but I never have tried it so I cant recommend it from experience, but If I had to bet, Id bet it work great.

With the winnings 16ozers you will probably think someone gave you a shot of lidocaine in your hands.

Just got the Winning 16oz Velcros in!

Can't wait to try them next week

Side by side comparison so far with my King 16oz..
Same design.. about the same size... Except the Kings seem to have more padding/material around the wrist
Upon trying on both gloves...
Kings were a tight fit compared to the Winnings... felt like there was padding/material all over the place in the Kings and my hand felt compressed in the Kings.
While in the Winnings it was a good fit, but not as tight.. (sorry if im not making any sense)

just got my fg 2900 today! i havent sparred in it but this is has got to be the best fitting headgear out. fits like a glove. i had my brother punch the shit out of me with my hands down and real shit... i hardly felt the punch.

I just got titles fighting glove. It is very nice for the price. It attempts to mimic a winning glove and for $150 less than winning I think they do a pretty nice job. If you can afford it winning is really the top of the line but for people on a budget the $99 fighting's are pretty nice

Where's the review?

I just got the Winning FG-5000 Headgear. I had recently got the CPH-100-B Cup. And the first thing I got was the Winning Velcro 16 oz. Gloves - all in black.

I LOVE the FG-5000 headgear. It's incredibly light and comfortable. I got the large, using their size chart, and it fits perfectly. Every and any punch feels like a feather pillow being lghtly tossed at my head.

I LOVE the cup. It's also very light, and comfortable, and also offers excellent protection.

(I suppose that I should mention that all these look great, too!)

Now here's the thing. I'm not crazy about the velcro gloves. Don't get me wrong - there's plenty of protection. But I don't like the velcro attachment. Maybe I would lilke the lace-ups better. The velcro gloves also don't really offer much wrist support. And I really don't need all that cushion on my knuckles. I actually like the Grants better. I really like the Grant Super Bag gloves. I gave the Winning Velcro to my wife, who was complaining that her knuckles were sore.

This was unexpected, but maybe I expected too much from the Winning gloves. It's not that I was disappointed by the quality, but they weren't what I wanted, and they didn't really suit my purpose. I don't know if anyone else had this experience, but I was surprised.

Just got the Winning 16oz Velcros in!

Can't wait to try them next week

Side by side comparison so far with my King 16oz..
Same design.. about the same size... Except the Kings seem to have more padding/material around the wrist
Upon trying on both gloves...
Kings were a tight fit compared to the Winnings... felt like there was padding/material all over the place in the Kings and my hand felt compressed in the Kings.

From my experience most mt gloves i tried on(different brands) have always had wayy more padding on em then straight boxing gloves.

Now here's the thing. I'm not crazy about the velcro gloves. Don't get me wrong - there's plenty of protection. But I don't like the velcro attachment. Maybe I would lilke the lace-ups better. The velcro gloves also don't really offer much wrist support. And I really don't need all that cushion on my knuckles. I actually like the Grants better. I really like the Grant Super Bag gloves. I gave the Winning Velcro to my wife, who was complaining that her knuckles were sore.

This was unexpected, but maybe I expected too much from the Winning gloves. It's not that I was disappointed by the quality, but they weren't what I wanted, and they didn't really suit my purpose. I don't know if anyone else had this experience, but I was surprised.

I've been underwhelmed by my Winning velcros gloves too. The hand compartment is way too big, and I have a good sized fist. I don't like all the excess leather in the palm area. They may have great padding, but the design and fit is average at best.

So is it safe to say that if you're gonna buy Winning 16oz'ers for sparring that you're better off getting lace-ups over velcro?

Everyone has velcro at my gym. There'll be 15-20 of us in a sparring class, you put on your own gloves, work with a partner, the instructor calls time and you get a new partner and go.

Lace wouldn't be very practical for beginner/pad training class because you and your partner hold for each other for a round and then quickly switch gloves/pads and then your partner goes.

Anyone else go to a gym like this?

So is it safe to say that if you're gonna buy Winning 16oz'ers for sparring that you're better off getting lace-ups over velcro?

Everyone has velcro at my gym. There'll be 15-20 of us in a sparring class, you put on your own gloves, work with a partner, the instructor calls time and you get a new partner and go.

Lace wouldn't be very practical for beginner/pad training class because you and your partner hold for each other for a round and then quickly switch gloves/pads and then your partner goes.

Anyone else go to a gym like this?

I think everyone trains like you described.I have never seen any mma guy use lace ups except for hitting mitts and hard sparring...

I think everyone trains like you described.I have never seen any mma guy use lace ups except for hitting mitts and hard sparring...

Which brings me to my next question. Are the Winning velcros SO inferior to the lace-up that if I'm only in the market for velcro, Winning is no longer worth my money?

I personally use the fairtex super sparring gloves and the velcro winnings i rotate back and forth with them i love them and they are the best boxing gloves i own they are great sparring gloves....

for mitts i use velcro cletos
for bag i use fairtex bag gloves

At my gym, we have to change gloves a lot and there's no opportunity to lace up gloves. I use the Grant Super Bag Gloves for mitt work, and the Grant traditional bag gloves for heavy bag work.

For Sparring, I've been using the Fairtex Super Sparring gloves. When we're sparring, the trainer (or someone else) can tie the laces. I'm thinking about getting the Cleto lace ups. but I haven't decided yet.

Winning gloves are really good. They are one of only two kinds of gloves I will use. Thats the big hang up though is that they're so dang expensive. The only other brand I use is from ubcboxing.com. They sell these awesome gloves with injected foam padding. You have to break'em in a little bit but once you do they rule. I'd love to have winning gloves but can't afford them.

Shevlin. 75-90 dollars per pair. Best leather I have seen on any glove. Comfortable, very soft. 6 out of 5 stars

Which brings me to my next question. Are the Winning velcros SO inferior to the lace-up that if I'm only in the market for velcro, Winning is no longer worth my money?

This deserves an answer, and I'm wondering the exact same thing. Anyone have any thoughts?

Back