WMMA Discussion #29

We've got a bit of an unheralded judo invasion in WMMA at the moment (especially out of Brazil), in UFC alone Amanda Ribas, Luana Santos, Dione Barbosa, Irina Alekseeva and of course Stephanie Egger all having some kind of noteworthy competition judo background.

I guess we'll be seeing more out of France in the coming years too with them making MMA legal and having lots of judo and stuff. Plus several from Japan already since RIZIN spawned a new wave of interest in athletes there (Watanabe etc)

I was gonna add '...so much for BJJ' but there's a mini BJJ invasion in the UFC too: joining Dern there's now Alencar, Amorim, and Kline.

Not so much wrasslin' though with UFC having 😡UNJUSTLY😡 cut Murata, likely after bribing the judges to rob her to give them the excuse to do so to stop her from taking over and holding the belt for the next 10 years if you ask me #FUUFC #DieDanaDie #SlaughterShelby #MurderMaynard
<Oku01>
(Sawada looking good but she's too small to break out of azn scene/be in the UFC)
I would love to see more women’s wrestlers in MMA.

WFLW already had a exciting year due to the upset of Grasso vs Shev and the rising of Blanchfield. The coming-up matchups looks even better.

Grasso vs Shev or Zhang. I think it's even odd for Grasso vs Shev now. Shev is the more well-rounded fighter, but her age is not on her side. I would favor Grasso over Zhang. Zhang relies a lot on her strength, I don't think that's going to translate well in WFLW.

Erin Blanchfield vs Manon Fiorot. I have to watch more their fights to have an idea.

Katlyn Chookagian vs Maycee Barber. Chookagian is getting older. If this fight happens two years ago, Barber most likely would lost a decision. I don't like Barber, but her hunger for victory maybe will get her a win.

Lauren Murphy vs Karine Silva. I haven't seen such dangerous kill instinct in WMMA fighter since prime Amanda Nunes, Karine Silva is scary. She even has the same fighting facial expression as Nunes. Lauren Murphy isn't easy to be finished though, it's a good test for Karine.

Viviane Araújo vs Natália Silva. Natalie likely will win by being the more dynamic striker.

Will UFC book Tracy Cortez vs Ariane Lipski? Battle of hotties. Cortez's striking looks improved, but she is still hitable. I hope she won't fall in love with her boxing.

Hopefully that Phetjeeja win convinces Stamp to defend her mma title next.

Phetjeeja with some wrestling & grappling training would be a nightmare to deal with in MMA. Probably has the best boxing & head movement of all women I can think of off the top of my head and the rest of her striking is very solid as well. I'd like to see her take a shot at MMA, I think she can do really well with the right training.

I agree. The UFC needs to sign Avsaragova now that Bellator's pretty much done.
Someone just needs to remind her that she's a master of sport in freestyle wrestling.

Seems like she might've relocated to the US, at least temporarily. Maybe she'll finally get with a good gym and team of coaches. It'd be cool to see her go to Xtreme Couture and train with Suarez.

Seems it’s a good week for belt promotions:

South Korean Atomweight BoHyeon Park promoted to purple:

South Korean Atomweight YunHa Hong promoted to black:

Sara McMann promoted to black:

i agree with everyone's picks for fighter of year so far - there's a lot of competition but no standouts per se.

i'd probably give it to jessica andrade:
- she fought 5 times in 2023,
- her 2 wins were violent, dominant performances over tough competitors,
- came back from a 3 fight losing streak (all finishes) with the dern win

yep, andrade is my FOTY pick :)

All four ladies on weight for the first round of Pancrase’s Atomweight tournament first round on Sunday

Attachments

• IMG_7605.jpeg
    IMG_7605.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7606.jpeg
    IMG_7606.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the comments on end of year awards. Here's my thoughts.

Fighter of the year. Alexa Grasso.
Honorable mention, triple threat. Stamp Fairtex.
Fight of the year. Aldana vs. Rosa.
Most improved. Ariane Lipski, Veronica Hardy
KO of the year. Not sure, any suggestions?
Submission of the year. Grasso face/neck crank over Shevchenko.

Fighter of the year: Grasso
Fight of the year: Aldana/Rosa

You just need to make up some reward to give to Loopy so we can declare Total Lobo Victory
2363-lobo-gym.jpg

Maybe Stamp's body kick knockout of Alyse Anderson for KO of the Year

Fighter of the Year. Alexa Grasso.
Honorable Mention: Larissa Pacheco
Fight of the Year: Aldana vs. Rosa.
Most Improved: Ariane Lipski, Veronica Hardy or Mokhnatkina
KO of the Year: Leibrock/Jindrova
Submission of the Year: Outside of the obvious, Karine Silva’s Kneebar

Back