WMMA Discussion #29

Hopes:
Zhang vs. Yan grabs FTON (yes, I know there's Holloway vs. Gaethje) - I can live with either winning, shall be in team Zhang but Yan is also very cool.

Andrade via a vicious KO, I know it wasn't Rodriquez's fault she was booked to beat up Waterson so badly, but it would at least feel some sort of consoliation justice, cause nobody probably is gonna beat up Dana for it.

Fears:
Holm does soemthing very boring and "ish ish" decisions it, with Harrison not really catching her at any point

After we got two rare WMMA non-title main events which were sadly a bit disappointing (Rose/Ribas was an mid-ish fight, but teh wimmin are always going to be judged more harshly) it's good that all 3 bouts on 300 are going to be nothing less than bangerz (possibly not Holm/Harrison, but I'm interested to see how Kayla does however it goes). At least Ribas tried, Rose just points-fighted, and Fiorot has turned into an ultra-safe pointsfighter who Blanchfield lacked the tools to force into having to do something exciting. A bit of a wasted opportunity for womyn to entertain when the spotlight was on, but fortunately these should wash that taste away...

Weili/Yan I expect Weili to win but I find myself slightly hoping for Xiaonan to win. That would mean another champ who was previously DESTROYED by Carla! Then, when she wins she can defend against Marina (fresh off walk-off KO'ing Andrade), who will beat her (again). That'll be another champ DESTROYED by Carla! By then it will be time for Jandiroba to get her shot and she'll probably beat Marina (again). That would make for three champs in a row previously DESTROYED by Carla! Woargh!

...huh? why are you rolling your eyes at me? how did you know I was going to say something like that?? surely I'm not that predictable?? Is there some kind of bug in my house or mind control device being employed here? I'm going to have to be more cautious with what I say while I look in to this.
<EdgyBrah>

Obviously we need Kayla to win. For the fight (to be entertaining), for the division, for WMMA. I think Holly is too old to turn the clock back to 2015, having to rely on cagepushing won't cut it here, while Kayla is a surprisingly youthful 33, it'll be kind of amusing for her to 'one up' Ronda again with a W over Holly to go alongside her judo gold medal (compared to Ronda's pitiful bronze).

Marina/Andrade: Of course I am rooting for Marina to knock Andrade's block off a la Xiaonan/Andrade.
But what's this about the need to avenge Watercan? Marina was only doing her job, and Watercan wouldn't stay away from her (you'd think after the first time she'd have learned) so she had to be told more firmly the second time. And when it comes to butchering cuties, nobody has a grimmer record of criminal acts than Andrade (in particular her infamous murder of Princess Karolina). At least Marina is all boost no spray; and an inspiration to office workers everywhere who dream of walking out of the cubicle to pursue a life of beating people up instead. Plus she's long overdue a title shot, and has a bromance with Carla. How can you not root for her? 🥺

I'd personally like to give props to the PFL for how they're handling their Featherweight/Lightweight roster. They announced 4 bouts in the span of a couple of days, which is way more than Invicta and UFC ever did. I think it is admirable that they are using the Bellator events to keep their Featherweights busy.

I gotta make my research to make sure they haven't dropped anyone, but imagine a roster that in addition to the already announced fights, has Sarah MacMann, Cat Zingano, Martina Jindróva, Jackie Cataline, Amber Leibrock, Pam Sorenson, Marina Mokhnatkhina, Leah McCourt, Julia Budd, Abigail Montes, among others for potential matchups! They realistically could have the deepest Featherweight roster that's ever been assembled under one promotion, and that Cyborg vs Pacheco fight could be something special.

I somehow didn't realise it until I was watching the event, 'hey all these girls are in the same tournament together, that's super stacked for a non-UFC competition especially a WMMA one'. Talia Santos, Liz Carmouche, Jena Bishop, Kana Watanabe, Juliana Velasquez, Denise Kielholtz, would all be contenders for the rankings in UFC, and of course they have WMMA's hottest superstar-on-the-rise (that's a phrase guaranteed to generate leto1776 hatred) in Ditcheva too. I think it really shows how what someone said many years ago, that 125 will be the star women's division with the most talent once the UFC establish it, is now definitely the reality.

I'm not going to give PFL too much props for its roster though until we see how they use them. After all it 'inherited' a lot of that talent from Bellator, and I'm not sure the PFL format is the best way go about booking a stable of talented fighters over the course of a year. At least they're not ONE though...

My pic is for Zhang to win, but I will absolutely be cheering for Yan. The amount of butt hurt it would cause across two groups would be absolutely glorious. The first group is the insane Zhang stalker fans who make old sausage dismisscarrius seem normal and rational. The second group is the Carla haters.

Honestly, the amount of shit thrown in Yan’s direction online is ridiculous and undeserved.

Can’t decide if this is better or worse than last year’s tournament. Dryer has the best chance to win, IMO.

Should have made 135 as a statement imo
I agree, however it’s her first fight at the weight so I wouldn’t over deplete myself unless I had too. Also, her personal opinion on weight cutting probably means she’s only gonna cut what she has to.

So long as she wins she’s getting a title shot imo, so better to stack the deck for that.

Happy that Andrade won, after her slump & paycheck phase, the recent times are nice.

Did not expect Harrison to throw a headkick, luckily no ”ish ish” happened and that was a pretty horrid mauling 🙂 She might make a widow out of Tecia.

Really enjoyed Yan vs Zhang - Yan showed she was better on the feet and being able to get back 8nto the fight and win a round after the first two was awesome. Weili did not seem invincible, so even with a clea, clear win on the scorecards, the fight stayed very enjoyable. Good stuff. And if Yans grappling continues to improve, she is gonna get even more a danger to pretty much everyone in the division. Including Zhang if they fight again in the future.

3/3 on those picks.
Zhang was robbed a dominant round one submission. Then she went too hard for the round two stoppage and gassed herself good thing her will was enough in the later rounds.

Kayla showed she's here to save wbw.

Andrade and Rodriguez had it's moments but I wish we got a tko.

Random thought from the technical peon: I think Roses 1st win over Zhang got even more legit in retrospect (not that any jackass who calls it a fluke will care) today - Weili obviously has troubles with defence when facing the truly top strikers of the division. Sat down by Yan, bolivian by Rose’s headkick, tagged a ton by Joanna the first time around - it is just that those were powerless volume attacks, or something might have happened there too.

The deficiency keeps her fights much more interesting, I guess.

Back