WMMA Discussion #29

Random thought from the technical peon: I think Roses 1st win over Zhang got even more legit in retrospect (not that any jackass who calls it a fluke will care) today - Weili obviously has troubles with defence when facing the truly top strikers of the division. Sat down by Yan, bolivian by Rose’s headkick, tagged a ton by Joanna the first time around - it is just that those were powerless volume attacks, or something might have happened there too.

The deficiency keeps her fights much more interesting, I guess.
autocorrect?

fights were decent enough i suppose.
i am looking forward to see pena and kayla trading barbs and fists in the future - wbw needs some attention

If you think Kayla is a physical beast you should see some of her opponents in judo. It seems like she was always the shorter, smaller opponent in her judo division.
I always say that if 30 Olympic level judokas from there trained MMA they'd take the majority of wbw rankings and/or could have made wfw sustainable in the UFC.

Weili Zhang vs. Xiaonan Yan. Remarkable recovery by Yan after nearly being choked out at the end of round one. She was durable in taking it to the end, even winning the third round. Weili schooled her from there especially on the ground. Showed everyone why she's still champ.

Holly Holm vs. Kayla Harrison. Kayla proved she belongs in the UFC. She did everything right in handling Holm and later being gracious with media. She brings a welcome higher level of athleticism into the 135 division.

Jéssica Andrade vs. Marina Rodriguez. Andrade looked measured and followed her game plan. A welcome relief from earlier fights where she would sometimes go more for brawling. Marina needs to work on her grappling.

Overall an enjoyable set of fights on UFC 300. Interested in seeing where things go from here.

Anyone else thinks Zhang’s striking is regressing? She certainly wasn’t winning on the feet last night, at all. That said, Yan is probably the best striker in the division right now.

Anyone else thinks Zhang’s striking is regressing? She certainly wasn’t winning on the feet last night, at all. That said, Yan is probably the best striker in the division right now.
I think you answered your own question.
Her gameplan was probably around outwrestling Yan since this her most remarkable flaw i believe.
Yan is also one of the best strikers in the division rn

I think you answered your own question.
Her gameplan was probably around outwrestling Yan since this her most remarkable flaw i believe.
Yan is also one of the best strikers in the division rn
Planning to outwrestle someone is one thing. Getting absolutely out worked on the feet is something else

She was definitely having trouble closing the distance. And that's probably due to how good Yan's striking is. I thought Andrade would have trouble getting on the inside but she was actually moving her head on her entries.

Kayla told media she weighed 160 in the cage with her clothes and shoes on. A bit insane.
I believe that makes her the largest BW ever. Aspen was 159, Nicco was 153, Cat 151, & Nunes 150.
If you think Kayla is a physical beast you should see some of her opponents in judo. It seems like she was always the shorter, smaller opponent in her judo division.
Both Kayla & Ronda were small for their weight class in Judo.
Weili reliably gets countered off of her lead leg strikes & or finds herself caught off balance from both kicks & punches. I also think the work with Wood & the Rose fights has made her more uncomfortable & rote on the feet.

Outside of an Andrade rematch, the other women on her horizon I’d say she’d have a striking advantage against. She’d piece Virna & Tatiana up standing. I’d go Zhang/Saurez title fight, Andrade/Jandiroba Lemos/Xiaonan & Rodriguez/Dern.

I'd say you're right, Weili pretty much forgot how to use a jab and she now sets up way outside of range so she always has to run in to land anything, which is why she keeps getting caught on the way in. Feinting from 5' out of range doesn't work unless the opponent is a total noob, and if you don't have a jab either you're not gonna have much success hitting anything. In short, Weili kinda Holly Holm'd herself.

I'd say you're right, Weili pretty much forgot how to use a jab and she now sets up way outside of range so she always has to run in to land anything, which is why she keeps getting caught on the way in. Feinting from 5' out of range doesn't work unless the opponent is a total noob, and if you don't have a jab either you're not gonna have much success hitting anything. In short, Weili kinda Holly Holm'd herself.
goodness you're right :eek:

Well, she never had much of a jab. That being said her striking did not appear as sharp as it normally did.

Back