worst breach in decades: CIA officer helped China kill or arrest 20 undercover operatives; arrested

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...chun-shing-lee-suspected-spying-china-n838186

Full article at the link above.

TLDR: Ex-CIA officer arrested with two notebooks full of information as he tried to leave the country; in 2010, China dismantled America's intelligence grid within China by systematically killing or arresting its best operatives in the field. He has been under investigation for at least six years.

Fuck him he should hang!!!! Feed him worms!!!

What the fuck? This guy was an (ex)CIA officer and was allowed to own a residence and live in Hong Kong?! Typical Obama administration weakness and stupidity.
9162013212180.jpg

Our fucking counter Intel is a damn joke right now. Shot load of people leaking secrets, discloaing classified info, etc in the last few years.

What the fuck? This guy was an (ex)CIA officer and was allowed to own a residence and live in Hong Kong?! Typical Obama administration weakness and stupidity.

So if your ex-CIA your no longer allowed to live in another country? How far does that go? Are they allowed to leave the country? If so for how long? 1 week max then they have to come back? How often are they allowed to leave? 2 times a year? Once a year?

damn, that's some wild stuff

hopefully his info wasn't partly used to hack the entire OPM database and get all the Federal Employee's PII

good times, they got me

I read the other linked article linked by the failing New York Times about the initial intel breach in 2008-2012 and it said that back 2012 they lured the guy back to the us after he retired in honk Kong with another intellenge job they basically interagated the guy but had they had no real hard evidence I figure cause they let him go

So the guy knows they suspect him but comes back to the us like 6 years later and is immediately arrested ??

He should be put in prison for life.

But 20 spies and informants dying isnt something that i feel too much pity about.

People talk as if those people werent selling off their country to a foreign intelligence agency.

But the Dems all voted for a woman who put secret info on a personal server. I don't take your concerns seriously.

weirdly, id support the death penalty in cases like treason, but not murder.

in the past, juries have been pretty damn certain that someone is guilty, only to find out 30 years later that they were full of shit. and execution is the easy way out imo for some of these people.

After a quick look at treason laws, they seem terribly vague though. "Aiding enemies of the state" can mean anything.

It's a lot clearer in actual times of war. So if you were providing military secrets to the Nazis or Japanese, then yeah, that's treason and very serious. I have a lot less sympathy for spies. Especially from superpowers.

If this is true, screw this guy. He still deserves his day in court. This helps illustrate a big problem with our intelligence gathering, we have major leaks everywhere, and our government does shady stuff.

Before reading the article I guessed that that the officer would be of Chinese descent.

-

Life in prison. Solitary confinement. Waterboard his ass to find out what he told them.

Another great example of why the death penalty is a great thing to leave on the table. Interrogate this dude for a few months in really shitty conditions, figure out everything he knows, and then put a bullet in his skull.

Literally hitler

Really ?

come on man

Why weren't the guys from the 90s executed and thrown out with the trash like they should've been?

After a quick look at treason laws, they seem terribly vague though. "Aiding enemies of the state" can mean anything.

It's a lot clearer in actual times of war. So if you were providing military secrets to the Nazis or Japanese, then yeah, that's treason and very serious. I have a lot less sympathy for spies. Especially from superpowers.
That's why we have caselaw. Lots of laws have ambigious terms. Courts do a lot of trying to figure out what they mean.

That's also a big part of where different legal philosophies come from. What can we look at in determining what a law actually applies to. Did the authors consider non-war/rebellion enemies of the state? Did they do so for nations? If not, did they leave it deliberately vague because they understood that politics could develop in unforeseen ways? If so, what sort of unforeseen situations would fall within that? Are enemies of the state enemy nations, or any hostile organization? Does there have to be a state of war?

If we've convicted someone of treason for aiding a nation, with whom we are not at war, in hostile activities, that helps.

I took a quick look. Most treason convictions were due to literal rebellions or by aiding hostile countries with whom we were at war. Sometimes via propaganda, etc.

The best exception is Walter Allen, who was convicted in connection with the Blair mountain labor uprising. But the courts treated that as taking up arms against the US because it culminated in a conflict with the US army. So I don't think we have any.

Interesting anecdote: Billy, a revolutionary era slave, allegedly attempted to join the British army. He was initially convicted of treason but was pardoned by TJ and the VA legislature because, as a slave, he owed no alleigance to the state.

Cool stuff

Last edited:
Back