Social Worst politicians of '23: who are your picks?

If your reputation is that 'you are a chat show host', which is what a lot of Republicans were complaining about when Oz lost, then I suppose it's got to be seen as a hindrance.

Or have we conveniently forgotten that Republicans on this very forum weren't happy with him being pitted against Fetterman?

To be honest, for US politics, it's not that abnormal.

I wouldn't expect it in a normal political climate though.

Maybe practically it disqualifies him because it'll get less people to vote for him. But objectively I don't see any real argument against it because it shouldn't define him as a person. He might have a bunch of relevant skills.

As a blanket statement I'd say I prefer an "outsider" with a non-political background over somebody who studied politicology, worked a few years at some random state department and decided to join a political party after that. Of course that's just a general sentiment, I don't really know much about this Oz dude, maybe he was a dumb idiot.

Maybe practically it disqualifies him because it'll get less people to vote for him. But objectively I don't see any real argument against it because it shouldn't define him as a person. He might have a bunch of relevant skills.

As a blanket statement I'd say I prefer an "outsider" with a non-political background over somebody who studied politicology, worked a few years at some random state department and decided to join a political party after that. Of course that's just a general sentiment, I don't really know much about this Oz dude, maybe he was a dumb idiot.

I used to see the attraction of a non-political figure, but I don't really see it now.

Seems to me to be a fantasy that non-political figures don't play the same political games - they do, that's the nature of the beast, but they just do so with less experience and less knowledge. When that's combined with not wanting to listen to advice, it generally makes for bad politicians.

If the term 'non-political figure' somehow meant 'more genuine and honest', that would be great.

I've seen no evidence whatsoever of that, though.

The will of like half a billion people? Just because our leaders go along with a bad EU agenda doesn't mean the people all support this crazy war.

Although I'm not aware of Orban turning Hungary into what you call a "flawed democracy". I only know him because he apparently has some based policies. Any more info on this? Interested to know if there's any truth to this claim.
Nobody supports the war.

The west already tried to avoid the war be doing nothing in 2014.

Shock horror doing nothing to deter shitbags stealing your shit just emboldens shitbags to steal more of your shit.

As a European I bet you bitch about your lack of rights to defend your house from someone breaking in. Basically the same thing.

The west can arm Ukraine to the teeth if we want but the stupid ME wars have inspired the equivalent of a MGTOW movement.

Crying like little bitches. It's pathetic.

Viktor has used a few methods to subvert his democracy but generally speaking gerrymandering is always one of the most efficient. That's really no exception here.

Hungary, Turkey and Belarus are all issues in Europe right now. That's not to mention Armenian-Azeri relations.

Orban's a sack of crap, for sure, but he's almost like one of many.
Belarus is a proxy state. Luka is so fucking dumb you can't really give him the credit, that all belongs to Putin.

Erdogan is like Orban lite, very similar issues. He's playing both sides for his own gain but he at least has the decency to use lube.

Turkey is one of the few countries that hasn't imposed restrictions on their weapons for example.

I used to see the attraction of a non-political figure, but I don't really see it now.

Seems to me to be a fantasy that non-political figures don't play the same political games - they do, that's the nature of the beast, but they just do so with less experience and less knowledge. When that's combined with not wanting to listen to advice, it generally makes for bad politicians.

If the term 'non-political figure' somehow meant 'more genuine and honest', that would be great.

I've seen no evidence whatsoever of that, though.

Fair point. Most of them end up becoming politicians in the end anyway.

Back