Would Matt Hughes be top 9 in today stacked welterweight division?

Hughes would be top 3 today.
wedding-crashers-wtf.gif

Prime Hughes m would be lucky to make it to the top 10

It's really kind of a ridiculous idea to compare a fighter of a different era to the current one.

Still works at HW, half of the rankings are the guys from the old days:

Arlovski - debut 1999
Reem - debut 1999
Werdum - debut 2002
Hunt - debut 2004 (MMA) 1999 (kickboxing)

Even at WW Lawler and Maia debuted in 2001 and Masvidal in 2003 and they're still top 10.

Hughes wrestling and subs would still be great if he were in his prime today, he'd have problems with his striking but I could see him matching up well with Covington, Masvidal or Maia.

Hughes was good in his era but he would get absolutely dominated by any top 9

yeah definitely, people forget how good prime hughes was, and new fans don't even know.

It's ironic that Matt Hughes already answered a version of this question.

Matt_Hughes_Royce_Gracie_0.jpg

LMAO. I didnt want to say nothing cause their striking both suck but I think Matt might be better. Also I think Matt Could have beaten some of those guys in a good night. Against all those 9 fighters I would say he would go 3-6. The only definite losses for him are Till, Stephens and Woodley
K1 hughes pieces colby the fuck up, and prime hughes was a better, more well rounded grappler than colby.

w8b49g.jpg

No, Matt has CTE and drove his truck in front of train. He's lucky he can walk at this point.

Still works at HW, half of the rankings are the guys from the old days:

Arlovski - debut 1999
Reem - debut 1999
Werdum - debut 2002
Hunt - debut 2004 (MMA) 1999 (kickboxing)

Even at WW Lawler and Maia debuted in 2001 and Masvidal in 2003 and they're still top 10.

Hughes wrestling and subs would still be great if he were in his prime today, he'd have problems with his striking but I could see him matching up well with Covington, Masvidal or Maia.
Don't you know, old fighters wouldn't be able to compete today because of the evolution of the sport. Except for those that do, but they evolved with the sport and despite being older, slower, less athletic, and having weaker chins, they are 10x better then they ever were.

Arlovski - boxing is better than ever
Werdum - added a one-two and knees and is now a better striker than any HW pre-2015
Hunt - despite still being takendown at will by every offensive grappler he faces, has better TDD and JJ than ever before
Reem - got big, nuff said
Lawler - learned how to block every other punch with his hands and not blow his load throwing nothing but bombs(and Lawler is one of my favourite fighters)
Maia - I can't even sarcastically make up something, he just switched weightclasses and is fighting smaller guys that are easier to take down

Back