Would Matt Hughes be top 9 in today stacked welterweight division?

Explain how Robbie Lawler started the same year as Hughes, came from the same camp as Hughes, yet is still Top 3. Prime Hughes would be fine.

Hughes was physically a monster who barreled through people. Given today's techniques he'd be in the running for best in the division for sure.

My energy comes from my diet. Breakfast is 10 eggs and 2-3 pounds of bacon. Between meals, I eat lots of candy…I need it for energy. Lunch, at 1 or 2 p.m., is a double meal of a Polish pork chop, sauerkraut and potatoes.

An hour later, I work out, then take lots of supplements: magnesium, creatine, amino acids, all that stuff, and more chocolate.

Dinner is whatever meat I can get: steaks, pork chops, bacon, plus more sauerkraut and potatoes. [After I work out] I have a protein shake and more chocolate.

"Prime Matt" couldn't throw a left hook if his life depended on it. Doesn't even crack top 10 today or hold down these 170ers..

You guys are trolling or forgot how good Hughes was. Wrestling still works.

Prime Hughes in his hay day was a fucking God. But it's stupid to compare skills from then and now. I still think he's do well though. One of the first decently rounded fighters in ww division.

Explain how Robbie Lawler started the same year as Hughes, came from the same camp as Hughes, yet is still Top 3. Prime Hughes would be fine.
Because Lawler got better since the early 2000s, it's not that hard to understand.

People here that pretend this sport has not changed over the years are blind or straight up lying.
At the same time making threads like this is pointless, Hughes is from a different era and had to face different adversities that kids these days don't have to face.

Robby has always been a killer. I just think the same basic skillsets work, especially wrestling.

Great wrestlers with iron chins will be relevant in any era. Prime.Hughes wasn't flashy but he was effective and dominant. Matt had an underrated submission game imo. Prime Hughes could be top 3 today no doubt.

He weighed 193 5 days out from the first BJ fight.

He likely weighed around 190-191 come fight time.

How much bigger than that can you get?

It isn't just weight, it;s frame and length. Matt was always a pretty muscular guy, and as a former high school and college wrestler I'm sure he had the weight cut down to a science. But Matt was visibly shorter, narrower, and smaller in wingspan than GSP, who is not a large guy by modern WW standards, as well as Thiago Alves, who was later able to cut to 155.

Matt would give up height and reach to everyone in the current UFC Top 10 at WW, and while that isn't everything, it means something to a guy whose game depended heavily on being able to physically bully people.

Back