Would Matt Hughes be top 9 in today stacked welterweight division?

Beats Magny, maybe Queefington. Not the rest. Love Hughes, but his style doesn't age well.

Hes pretty small. Im not too sure.

Good god. This is like the most newb op I've ever seen.

Yes, he would be at the very top of 170, title contender without question. So quickly everyone forgets how good guys were once they retire.

Stacked? It’s a weak division.

Matt would be top 5

Champion : Tyron Woodley woodley by ko
1 Stephen Thompson Matt get tool'd
2 Rafael Dos Anjos ^
3 Colby Covington Colby by better striking
4 Robbie Lawler lawler by ko
5 Demian Maia Matt get submitted
6 Jorge Masvidal masvidal by ko
7 Darren Till till by ko
8 Neil Magny mangy by UD
9 Kamaru Usman by whatever he want
1 and 2 possibly true.
3 I think Colby gets beat everywhere.
4 I think Hughes can keep him down, if not then yes Lawler by KO
5 I don't think Maia can get him down, I really don't think he can even get close to getting it to the ground.
6 I got Masvidal by decision if he can stay active otherwise Hughes by IQ.
7 Agreed
8 Agreed
9 Maybe by holding Hughes down, Usman isn't that impressive honestly.

Brought to you by the same jackass who created hit threads such as "Wonderboy is the greatest striker in MMA history"

<36><{hughesimpress}>
Honestly I think some of these TSs are hired by Sherdog to "spice up" the forums that are otherwise getting stale.

Champion : Tyron Woodley woodley by ko
1 Stephen Thompson Matt get tool'd
2 Rafael Dos Anjos ^
3 Colby Covington Colby by better striking
4 Robbie Lawler lawler by ko
5 Demian Maia Matt get submitted
6 Jorge Masvidal masvidal by ko
7 Darren Till till by ko
8 Neil Magny mangy by UD
9 Kamaru Usman by whatever he want

Hughes would definitely be top 10. If it were today, he would be training under current training models and would likely have shored up his striking.

Although he would probably be fighting at LW. The guy is only 5'9.

Sherk could have made 145 without so much muscle mass and he and Hughes were not too far off in size.

y3GgQg0.jpg

Hughes at 155 would be an absolute killer.

i think he'd be top-five, for sure. but someone like woodley would beat him down.

Pictures aren't everything.

Koscheck-Woodley.jpg

1058.jpg

Hughes has always been jacked, but he has a little less muscle mass than Woodley. Hughes was always billed as 5'9" but I think he'd be more closer to 5'8" Woodley also has a much thicker lower body. They're not the same size.

I can find pictures from different angles that say different. Kos is taller that both guys but he looks bigger when wearing the ridiculous fro and he likes to wear shoes at weigh ins to give a height advantage. Kos and GSP are pretty similar in height and they are both taller than Woodley/Hughes.

I call bullshit that Woodley is a few inches taller. If he was he would be the same height as GSP/Kos. He might be technically bigger but it's completely irrelevant to the discussion because we would be arguing over a very small amount of height or weight. Hughes and Woodley are roughly the same. These are NOT two different weight class fighters. Thats my point. This discussion that Hughes would be a LW today is moronic.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 7.40.27 PM copy.jpg

Big Hughes fan, but nope. Thread is surprising me. The wrestling is just better today.

Maybe if his prime version gets to train today, developing on the past/his old version, we'd get a better, different Hughes. But that's pure fantasy.

You pull Hughes out of his prime and slip him into today's WW division, it's going to look like Kos/Hughes, Hendricks/Wonderboy, he's going to look like a ps2 fighting character playing in new 3d, vibrant combat army game.

What he did isn't going to work on Usman, Colby, Maia, Wonderboy, ect.

He could maybe give Magny or Maz a good fight, but they could also beat up Hughes.

Maia and Woodley would be the worst matchups for him.
Remember...this guy had a champions ego and a mean mindset.
Prime Hughes training the techniques these guys are today would be a tough son of a bitch.

I can find pictures from different angles that say different. Kos is taller that both guys but he looks bigger when wearing the ridiculous fro and he likes to wear shoes at weigh ins to give a height advantage. Kos and GSP are pretty similar in height and they are both taller than Woodley/Hughes.

I call bullshit that Woodley is a few inches taller. If he was he would be the same height as GSP/Kos. He might be technically bigger but it's completely irrelevant to the discussion because we would be arguing over a very small amount of height or weight. Hughes and Woodley are roughly the same. These are NOT two different weight class fighters. Thats my point. This discussion that Hughes would be a LW today is moronic.

View attachment 343863

As I said we could play this picture game all day, it isn't really concrete evidence. I think Hughes is around 5'8" & Woodley is probably 5'9", it's unlikely Hughes wouldn't be at 155 but he'd be a tiny WW by todays standards.

A lot of welterweights are over 6ft these days, that was very rare 10 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back