Social WR Lounge v280: Debauchery, Degeneracy & The Destruction of Western Civilization (A lot of D's)

The Most Interesting Empires In History (IYO)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just lol

A Law Student Isn’t Allowed to Graduate Because He Made Fun of the Federalist Society
BY MARK JOSEPH STERN
JUNE 02, 20215:07 PM

On Jan. 25, Nicholas Wallace, a third-year student at Stanford Law School, sent a satirical flyer to a student listserv reserved for debate and political commentary. The flyer promoted a fake event, “The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection,” ostensibly sponsored by the Stanford Federalist Society. It advertised the participation of two politicians who tried to overturn the 2020 election, Missouri Sen. Joshua Hawley and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. “Violent insurrection, also known as doing a coup, is a classical system of installing a government,” the flyer read, adding that insurrection “can be an effective approach to upholding the principle of limited government.”

Wallace’s email was designed to mock the Stanford Federalist Society for refusing to disavow the many Federalist Society luminaries who fomented the storming of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, including Hawley and Paxton. It worked: The flyer went viral, prompting USA Today to confirm that it was, indeed, satire. But the Stanford Federalist Society was not amused. In March, one of the group’s top officers filed a complaint against Wallace with Stanford’s Office of Community Standards. (This person’s name has been redacted from all documents.) The student alleged that Wallace’s satire “defamed” the Stanford Federalist Society, causing “harm” to the student group and to the “individual reputations” of the officers.

Then, on May 22, with graduation looming, the Stanford Federalist Society officer pushed the school to initiate a formal investigation. Wallace did not receive the complaint against him until May 27, his last day of classes. Stanford then placed a hold on his degree, prohibiting him from receiving his actual diploma at graduation on June 12. It has continued to investigate him for “a possible violation of the Fundamental Standard,” the school’s code of conduct, subjecting him to the same procedures that suspected plagiarists must undergo. The hold on his diploma has jeopardized Wallace’s plans to take the Michigan bar exam this summer; the state bar requires applicants to send their diplomas immediately upon graduation, which he will not be able to do.
On Tuesday, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education sent a letter to Stanford urging the school to “immediately abandon its investigation and commit to procedural reforms to protect the expressive rights Stanford promises to its students.” FIRE pointed out that California’s Leonard Law requires private universities to comply with the First Amendment, and there is no real question that Wallace’s email is shielded by the First Amendment. The Supreme Court has held that satire, including offensive and hurtful expression, constitutes protected speech, and Wallace’s email is obviously satirical. “No reasonable person familiar with the email’s context would understand it to be sincere,” FIRE wrote, noting that it advertises an event that occurred 19 days earlier and is “laden with figurative language intended to impugn national political figures.”

Because Wallace’s email is free speech shielded by the First Amendment, Stanford has no authority to punish him. In fact, Wallace can sue in state court to prevent the school from taking any adverse action against him, and collect attorneys’ fees if he prevails. While Stanford has not yet issued any formal punishment, FIRE alleges that “Stanford’s investigation itself” creates a chilling effect in violation of the law. (The school did not return my requests for comment on Wednesday.)

Indeed, the Federalist Society’s complaint has already imposed a severe burden, forcing Wallace to navigate a complex disciplinary process in the midst of finals. On Wednesday, Wallace told me that the Stanford Federalist Society’s complaint “feels retaliatory” in light of his public opposition to the group. In March, Wallace helped to plan a virtual event at which I spoke about the Federalist Society’s many links to the insurrection. The Stanford chapter’s officer filed the complaint several weeks later—at which point two months had passed since Wallace created the satirical flyer.

This retaliation against Wallace’s speech marks the height of hypocrisy for a member of the Federalist Society, which regularly champions free speech on campus—though usually for conservatives. In November, for instance, Justice Samuel Alito delivered a speech to the organization’s annual convention railing against campus censorship as well as the alleged effort “to hobble the debate that the Federalist Society fosters.” Alito also claimed that law school students who are members of the Federalist Society tell him they “face harassment and retaliation if they say anything that departs from the law school orthodoxy.”

Now, however, it is Wallace who faces harassment and retaliation. A leader of his own school’s Federalist Society chapter has responded to political commentary by imperiling the speaker’s ability to graduate and take the bar. And rather than reject the complaint outright, Stanford is investigating his legally protected speech as a possible violation of the university’s rules.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...7ztNj14j_Opc_823wbioZ7NCc0jgha_Ht4ktrGh5Swihc

Basically, the same trust fund pussies who say Cancel Culture is destroying society and pretend to care about free speech decided to try to literally destroy a guy's career for making fun of them.

E25yZ89UUAA3erv

E25yZ87UYAI2EeX

Last edited:
Just lol

A Law Student Isn’t Allowed to Graduate Because He Made Fun of the Federalist Society
BY MARK JOSEPH STERN
JUNE 02, 20215:07 PM

On Jan. 25, Nicholas Wallace, a third-year student at Stanford Law School, sent a satirical flyer to a student listserv reserved for debate and political commentary. The flyer promoted a fake event, “The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection,” ostensibly sponsored by the Stanford Federalist Society. It advertised the participation of two politicians who tried to overturn the 2020 election, Missouri Sen. Joshua Hawley and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. “Violent insurrection, also known as doing a coup, is a classical system of installing a government,” the flyer read, adding that insurrection “can be an effective approach to upholding the principle of limited government.”

Wallace’s email was designed to mock the Stanford Federalist Society for refusing to disavow the many Federalist Society luminaries who fomented the storming of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, including Hawley and Paxton. It worked: The flyer went viral, prompting USA Today to confirm that it was, indeed, satire. But the Stanford Federalist Society was not amused. In March, one of the group’s top officers filed a complaint against Wallace with Stanford’s Office of Community Standards. (This person’s name has been redacted from all documents.) The student alleged that Wallace’s satire “defamed” the Stanford Federalist Society, causing “harm” to the student group and to the “individual reputations” of the officers.

Then, on May 22, with graduation looming, the Stanford Federalist Society officer pushed the school to initiate a formal investigation. Wallace did not receive the complaint against him until May 27, his last day of classes. Stanford then placed a hold on his degree, prohibiting him from receiving his actual diploma at graduation on June 12. It has continued to investigate him for “a possible violation of the Fundamental Standard,” the school’s code of conduct, subjecting him to the same procedures that suspected plagiarists must undergo. The hold on his diploma has jeopardized Wallace’s plans to take the Michigan bar exam this summer; the state bar requires applicants to send their diplomas immediately upon graduation, which he will not be able to do.
On Tuesday, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education sent a letter to Stanford urging the school to “immediately abandon its investigation and commit to procedural reforms to protect the expressive rights Stanford promises to its students.” FIRE pointed out that California’s Leonard Law requires private universities to comply with the First Amendment, and there is no real question that Wallace’s email is shielded by the First Amendment. The Supreme Court has held that satire, including offensive and hurtful expression, constitutes protected speech, and Wallace’s email is obviously satirical. “No reasonable person familiar with the email’s context would understand it to be sincere,” FIRE wrote, noting that it advertises an event that occurred 19 days earlier and is “laden with figurative language intended to impugn national political figures.”

Because Wallace’s email is free speech shielded by the First Amendment, Stanford has no authority to punish him. In fact, Wallace can sue in state court to prevent the school from taking any adverse action against him, and collect attorneys’ fees if he prevails. While Stanford has not yet issued any formal punishment, FIRE alleges that “Stanford’s investigation itself” creates a chilling effect in violation of the law. (The school did not return my requests for comment on Wednesday.)

Indeed, the Federalist Society’s complaint has already imposed a severe burden, forcing Wallace to navigate a complex disciplinary process in the midst of finals. On Wednesday, Wallace told me that the Stanford Federalist Society’s complaint “feels retaliatory” in light of his public opposition to the group. In March, Wallace helped to plan a virtual event at which I spoke about the Federalist Society’s many links to the insurrection. The Stanford chapter’s officer filed the complaint several weeks later—at which point two months had passed since Wallace created the satirical flyer.

This retaliation against Wallace’s speech marks the height of hypocrisy for a member of the Federalist Society, which regularly champions free speech on campus—though usually for conservatives. In November, for instance, Justice Samuel Alito delivered a speech to the organization’s annual convention railing against campus censorship as well as the alleged effort “to hobble the debate that the Federalist Society fosters.” Alito also claimed that law school students who are members of the Federalist Society tell him they “face harassment and retaliation if they say anything that departs from the law school orthodoxy.”

Now, however, it is Wallace who faces harassment and retaliation. A leader of his own school’s Federalist Society chapter has responded to political commentary by imperiling the speaker’s ability to graduate and take the bar. And rather than reject the complaint outright, Stanford is investigating his legally protected speech as a possible violation of the university’s rules.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...7ztNj14j_Opc_823wbioZ7NCc0jgha_Ht4ktrGh5Swihc

Basically, the same trust fund pussies who say Cancel Culture is destroying society and pretend to care about free speech decided to try to literally destroy a guy's career for making fun of them.

E25yZ89UUAA3erv

E25yZ87UYAI2EeX

Someone should make this into a thread just to see the reactions from the WR's "free speech" crowd. I'm sure some are principled enough to denounce the Federalist Society here but it'd be interesting to see the reaction from the others.

Someone should make this into a thread just to see the reactions from the WR's "free speech" crowd. I'm sure some are principled enough to denounce the Federalist Society here but it'd be interesting to see the reaction from the others.
Holding up a person's degree cause they said or published something you don't like is so fucking petty.

I want to see your hot take on this, since this is the Lounge you're free to elaborate if you want to.

I want to see your elaboration on this:

" If the horrors of the past two centuries under modern ideologies hasn't disabused people of the cult of progress then nothing will."

Seems to me that most of the improvement in human living standards over our ~200K years has come in the past two centuries.

Go for it, buddy. Me starting a thread in general will just attract a bunch of troll responses anyways.

I want to see your elaboration on this:

" If the horrors of the past two centuries under modern ideologies hasn't disabused people of the cult of progress then nothing will."

Seems to me that most of the improvement in human living standards over our ~200K years has come in the past two centuries.
I don't believe in the Whig view of history and the idea of linear civilizational progress. We have made many strides in the last two hundred years but there's also been massive humanitarian disasters unlike anything that came before the modern era and most of the worst ones were within the last hundred years. Which is to say that while we may make progress in one area, that might come with unintended consequences elsewhere and that while there may be a period of improvement across a generation or two that doesn't mean that a major civilization pitfall won't happen.

Even if you believe in liberal democratic capitalism as the best engine for human civilization, its not some automated process that just improves continually but rather something that requires diligence and proper stewardship. For our generation I think most people see that the climate crisis is the issue of our time, we might navigate that crisis well but I don't think that's a given and if we bungle that issue we can very well find ourselves confronted with unique humanitarian and ethical disasters.

More narrowly I don't believe in the idea of social progress. I don't China "progressed" as a result of the Cultural Revolution, that was a disaster that scars that nation to this day. If you want a spicy hot take I think the same of the French Revolution.

I don't believe in the Whig view of history and the idea of linear civilizational progress.

I don't think anyone does, but the explosion in living standards in that period isn't really debatable, is it?

We have made many strides in the last two hundred years but there's also been massive humanitarian disasters unlike anything that came before the modern era and most of the worst ones were within the last hundred years. Which is to say that while we may make progress in one area, that might come with unintended consequences elsewhere and that while there may be a period of improvement across a generation or two that doesn't mean that a major civilization pitfall won't happen.

Most of this is true, but I don't think it really addresses the point. I think it's hard to look back on the past two hundreds years and conclude that we've obviously taken a wrong turn. Maybe we have (I mean, I really, really don't think so, but I'm willing to listen to an argument about it), but it's definitely not self-evident.

Even if you believe in liberal democratic capitalism as the best engine for human civilization, its not some automated process that just improves continually but rather something that requires diligence and proper stewardship. For our generation I think most people see that the climate crisis is the issue of our time, we might navigate that crisis well but I don't think that's a given and if we bungle that issue we can very well find ourselves confronted with unique humanitarian and ethical disasters.

Again, yes. But it doesn't change the fact that we hit on something really important and powerful over that period, and that it at least can't be taken for granted that "the cult of progress" is bad.

More narrowly I don't believe in the idea of social progress. I don't China "progressed" as a result of the Cultural Revolution, that was a disaster that scars that nation to this day. If you want a spicy hot take I think the same of the French Revolution.

Well, certainly change isn't inherently good, but you can't get improvement without openness to it. The key is reproduction of behaviors with small variations and a set-up that enables variations that improve things to spread. That goes back to the dawn of humanity (and beyond on the genetic level), of course, but by allowing more freedom and low-friction governance changes, along with a faster spread of information, we've supercharged the process.

Immigration was probably the number 1 issue that won Trump the primary in 2016 and was a big reason for the Tea Party rise during Obama's term and ironically Immigration was historically low under Obama.
Well, in fact I believe there was a net out-migration, but the people who voted for Trump never let facts get in the way of partisan ass kissing. It's like in 2020 when the Republicans in the Senate defeated 3 election security bills put forward by Democrats and in the same year surveyed Republicans voting for Trump said their #1 issue was election security LMAO

Just stressed to meet an important deadline this week. The only breaks I can afford is either sleeping (less) or eating and even then I’m still behind.
Plus I have three exams between the 8th and 15th, and I haven’t even started on that. To imply I’m screwed is an understatement.
Oh.

I don't think anyone does, but the explosion in living standards in that period isn't really debatable, is it?

Most of this is true, but I don't think it really addresses the point. I think it's hard to look back on the past two hundreds years and conclude that we've obviously taken a wrong turn. Maybe we have (I mean, I really, really don't think so, but I'm willing to listen to an argument about it), but it's definitely not self-evident.

Again, yes. But it doesn't change the fact that we hit on something really important and powerful over that period, and that it at least can't be taken for granted that "the cult of progress" is bad.

Well, certainly change isn't inherently good, but you can't get improvement without openness to it. The key is reproduction of behaviors with small variations and a set-up that enables variations that improve things to spread. That goes back to the dawn of humanity (and beyond on the genetic level), of course, but by allowing more freedom and low-friction governance changes, along with a faster spread of information, we've supercharged the process.
We've had an undeniable increase in living standards but we've also radically increased the stakes of war due to technological advances in military tech and there's the negative effect on the environment as well. And it hasn't been a straight shot upwards, there's been lots of big downturns in the civilizational stock market in the last two years. Most notably the two Word Wars but I'd also include the French Revolution and the communist experience in places like China and Russia. Many of those events were regressions from modernity but rather a culmination in modern trends.

Last edited:
We've had an undeniably increase in living standards but we've also radically increased the stakes of war due to technological advances in military tech and there's the negative effect on the environment as well. And it hasn't been a straight shot upwards, there's been lots of big downturns in the civlizational stock market in the last two years. Most notably the two Word Wars but I'd also include the French Revolution and the communist experience in places like China and Russia. Many of those events were regressions from modernity but rather a culmination in modern trends.

We've increased the stakes of war, but I believe (not checking right now, but let me know if this is wrong) even the 20th century saw far below-average battle death rates (i.e., percentage of the population who died in war) compared to most of human history. I think that environmental damage will be seen as a blip (note that in the earlier part of the period, people had a lot more problems relating to that than they do now--like horseshit and other contaminants in the water supply killing huge numbers of babies, and people breathing kerosene fumes all day). I agree it hasn't been a straight shot upwards and that the world wars and Communism, etc. were bad. I just disagree that, as I said, the past 200 years were so obviously horrible compared to what came before that anyone who still believes in progress is a fool. I think the past 200 years make a pretty good case for the cult of progress.

So people are cheering that Bibi is out... but the guy replacing him is almost literally the same thing?

So people are cheering that Bibi is out... but the guy replacing him is almost literally the same thing?
Nothing will change until the leadership isn’t made up of guys that were holding guns in the 60s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wavemeter
Back