WTF is going on with our Navy???

Then your friends are fucking stupid. There is no greater force projection than the Navy, real war happens and a legit WestPac takes place, with the Frigates, CGs, and DDGs running protection for the carriers out of San Diego, they alone could control this side of the hemisphere.

SWCC based out of the South and WA could stop any attacks on our mainland, our forward bases in Guam and Okinawa ensure safe passages for economic good through the pirate ridden areas past PI.

I'm not even going to talk shit about BMs as they're ten times more talented than deck scraping undes, but you shoud fuck right off with your assumptions about the Navy. Army, Marines, and Air Force mean absolutely fuck all without the US Navy controlling the seas.

I've heard that people in the navy are all wet.

Worst post of 2017.

That is actually the wing nut talking point of the day. The US military is now too PC to function properly, and, of course, it's Obama's fault.

8 years of Obama ;)

we all knew it was just a matter of time for these stupid policies to start revealing themselves and show what bad shape the military is in. the first thing that goes when you have reductions across the military are degradation in maintenance, training and oversight programs.

we all knew it was just a matter of time for these stupid policies to start revealing themselves and show what bad shape the military is in. the first thing that goes when you have reductions across the military are degradation in maintenance, training and oversight programs.

Also these idiots dont know where to put money in. Honestly we dont need a larger force we a smaller more robust military so we can get some of these maintenance and programs better over site. Also these retards in Washington keep canceling promising
programs that would keep us well ahead. Hyper-sonic weapons, the DDG-51 replacement, Frigate program(pushed back to 2021ish), the new IFV's for the marines and army which has been cancled 3x and new attack helo's...list goes on and on and on..

The Straits of Malacca are very crowed with tanker ships. During the day they are not hard to see. Two collisions happening in such a short span of time in the same part of the world... is it too early to wonder if the Chinese are behind some nefarious plot to weaken our Navy? Having a crappy tanker "accidentally" t-bone a Frigate or Destroyer is one way to take our ships out of action without any culpability. Sorry for the tinfoil but this is starting to seem intentional. Too many sailors being lost at sea recently.

208HuCw.jpg
As I posted earlier, these are the ships that are supposed to be able to find and track small craft, missiles, aircraft and submarines with the most sophisticated equipment in the world but a slow tanker can sneak up on them?

That area is a very crowded shipping lane. Maritime rules, dictate they larger ship has the right away. But ships will often yield or give naval ship right of way, but it is not a rule.

The McCain was hit on the Port side so technically it had the right of way but the tanker isn't very maneuverable so the ship crossing in front has to make certain they have room to clear.

Mighty ships had a program on the shakedown exercises on board the USS Gravely in 2010. They were doing a man overboard drill where the ship makes a 180 degree turn and goes back on it's track. It shut down unexpectedly. The top of the mast with the radar and navigation equipment fell off because of shitty welding. Apparently there was no quick way to get going again. Makes me wonder how many other problems there are with these ships. Is quality control that bad. Are the systems so complicated that a small problem becomes a big problem?

I watched a program on the construction of the USS Ronald Reagan. They were drilling holes with drill from the 1950s that took 2 people to operate. I have a magnet drill with annular cutters that I could have drilled the same holes by myself in a lot less time than they did.

Mighty ships had a program on the shakedown exercises on board the USS Gravely in 2010. They were doing a man overboard drill where the ship makes a 180 degree turn and goes back on it's track. It shut down unexpectedly. The top of the mast with the radar and navigation equipment fell off because of shitty welding. Apparently there was no quick way to get going again. Makes me wonder how many other problems there are with these ships. Is quality control that bad. Are the systems so complicated that a small problem becomes a big problem?

I watched a program on the construction of the USS Ronald Reagan. They were drilling holes with drill from the 1950s that took 2 people to operate. I have a magnet drill with annular cutters that I could have drilled the same holes by myself in a lot less time than they did.

San antonio class ships have a reputation for being absolute trash. Kinda surprised one hasnt sank

You know what makes a bad post imo? Whining about another's post without a) humorous mockery or b) incisive criticism or c) factual analysis. Your's failed on all counts.

From what I've heard from my friends in the military is that they have all had some sort of diversity training or sensitivity training or what not, and they all think it is a pile of crap.

In the meantime, our navy is being asked to fill a huge role but isn't really equipped to do it anymore. Seems like they are either understaffed or undertrained or overworked or something. Because this is the second such accident this year. Not only is it costing lives, but it is a bad sign about our actual combat readiness.
Military vet checking in.

Yes we had sensitivity training and all that shit but we filled the discussion with rape jokes. EOD dont give a fuck.

The operational tempo out here is brutal. Ships based in the states will do a 6-8 month deployment then have a good 18-24 months before the next one. Sailors have time for training, spend time with family, and basically reenergize.

In Japan it's much more difficult. These ships go on 3-4 month deployments twice per year, get a brief holiday stand down, a month or two of minor repairs, and the. deployment season starts again. After a few years, the ships are beaten up and have to be swapped out for fresh ones stateside, but the crews remain the same. It is very taxing on the crews. Officers don't feel it as much with their short 24 month tours, but many of the enlisted are stuck out here for 3-4 years.

We used to get compensated with about $1k per month in Cost of Living Allowance, but now it's only a fraction of that. Morale is low, and few sailors are motivated with their jobs. This leads to misconduct and complacency on watch.

None of this is a surprise.

The operational tempo out here is brutal. Ships based in the states will do a 6-8 month deployment then have a good 18-24 months before the next one. Sailors have time for training, spend time with family, and basically reenergize.

In Japan it's much more difficult. These ships go on 3-4 month deployments twice per year, get a brief holiday stand down, a month or two of minor repairs, and the. deployment season starts again. After a few years, the ships are beaten up and have to be swapped out for fresh ones stateside, but the crews remain the same. It is very taxing on the crews. Officers don't feel it as much with their short 24 month tours, but many of the enlisted are stuck out here for 3-4 years.

We used to get compensated with about $1k per month in Cost of Living Allowance, but now it's only a fraction of that. Morale is low, and few sailors are motivated with their jobs. This leads to misconduct and complacency on watch.

None of this is a surprise.

In other words, sailors are no different than anyone else in their generation?

Welcome to government work

In other words, sailors are no different than anyone else in their generation?
You have no idea what he's talking about. I did it too. Try working 5 9 hour days to start. Then add one 24 hour shift in there per week. That's your base. Then any exercises are added to that. Then what you're allowed to do with your off time is restricted. That's when you're in port. As he stated, you are normally out to sea. Then the rotation on those 24 hour shifts goes to every three days. Those 24 hour shifts mean you might sleep 2-3 hours. Then you add fire drills and by that I mean donning the suit and actually fighting a mock fire. Then battle drills. Also a destroyer is not a big ship, so it rocks a lot. Now google yourself a berthing area. That's where you live all year (though I think they finally put some barracks up for sailors in port around 2010). Prisoners, military ones at least, live better.

Back