Media Yan vs O'Malley scorecards

Round 1 is the only round close enough to be questioned imo.
Rd 2 - Yan's easily but not 10/8
Rd 3 - Yan got 2 TD's but didn't do anything with it. meanwhile he got outstruck & got a major laceration & was bleeding all over the octogon... which is the highest of judging criteria. No way Yan getting 2 TD's equates the damage he took.

People see Yan pushing the action in the center of the octogon & putting O'Malley on defense with his TD attempts & then laying in O'Malley's guard when he got the TD... & feel like Yan was the aggressor. Okay, fair enough, but you only get credit for aggression... if "all striking & grappling are indistinguishable."

Every sofa-judge... (& even some of the actual judges...) need to really wrap their heads around how "lay & pray" is scored. Unless you advance position, threaten with a submission, or land strikes from the top, your only credit for the whole time you went for the TD & then just layed there... is for the TD only.

"holding the center" of the octogon scores 0... Holding someone against the fence, and/or "attempting" a TD that puts your opponent on defense scores 0. Laying & praying scores 0.

The TD itself is a significant & proper credit... but O'Malley boxed up Yan in the 1st & landed the heavier strikes... & even did a sweet shot that took Yan to his knees where O'Malley circled to Yan's back. So this was very far from a robbery.

Basically this whole subject is about whether or not Yan's TD in Rd 1 caught him up to being outstruck by O'Malley. I say no.
Rewatch the fight...fucking hell, Omalley landed fuck all in the first try counting vs looking at the stats same goes for the 3rd Sean got the cut but didnt land 40 shots lol. Fight was fixed period.

The shot tickers at fightmetric completely fucked this one up.
I've never understood why there should ever be any trust that strike counts are even remotely accurate.

Yan had the TD's and control for most of the fight same deal win rounds 1 and 2 he controlled the cage far more than Sean did.
Unless Striking & Grappling are indistinguishable:
  • Controlling the cage scores 0
  • Ground control after a TD scores 0
  • Holding someone against the cage scores 0
They made these things of little or no value due to people manipulating these "stalling positions" to win a decision... creating boring fights. You no longer get rewarded for that as of 2017... (how many years ago was that? o_O) or unless you're fighting under the Texas athletic commission that still uses the old criteria.

My Paint shoop of Jones vs. Reyes:
v1BigON.png

This fight really pissed me off and if you honestly try and claim its not a robbery or that Sean won you are a troll or a complete moron
The trickiest thing about calling people a moron, when you calculate your findings on something that is not an actual judging criteria... is that your insult becomes your own personal affirmation about yourself.

Official judging criteria
  • "Effective Striking/Grappling shall be considered the first priority of round assessments.
  • Effective Aggressiveness is a „Plan B‟ and should not be considered unless the judge does not see ANY advantage in the Effective Striking/Grappling realm.
  • Cage/Ring Control („Plan C‟) should only be needed when ALL other criteria are 100% even for both competitors. This will be an extremely rare occurrence."
O'Malley 1 & 3... my breakdown is above on post #18

Last edited:
Rewatch the fight...fucking hell, Omalley landed fuck all in the first try counting vs looking at the stats same goes for the 3rd Sean got the cut but didnt land 40 shots lol. Fight was fixed period.
Sean landed plenty to the head, body, and legs while Yan wasn't able to land any head strikes. The 1st is a clear round for Sean.

I have rewatched the fight and the supposed 40-15 sig strike difference in rd3 is a farce.

O’Malley landed the knee that cut Yan, the high kick and two straights which Yan was moving with, head tucked. The rest of his strikes were feeler jabs or other straights landing on Yan’s guard plus some weak low kicks.

Yan is actually the one who landed more noteworthy strikes; hard body kicks, low kicks that actually made O’Malley’s leg buckle and flush counter hooks that O’Malley did not see and caused his head to snap back - you know: the kind of shots that the scoring criteria assures us wins rounds.

…and in addition to this, he had just under 2 mins of control time. The fight actually ended with Yan taking a tired O’Malley down and landing a couple of good shots on the ground.

I encourage anyone who thought that rd3 was an easy one to score for O’Malley to watch it again and make their own sig strike count. The shot tickers at fightmetric completely fucked this one up.

I wonder if they scored all those front kicks by Sean which barely made any contact as sig strikes.

Counting strikes is overrated. Each strike is different. You need to use your eyes and brain.

The guys saying this don't watch/rewatch fights

They read stats and parrot other's narratives

Now they are in full trolling "u mad bro" mode even though if you sat them down immediately following the fight they would've had it for Yan lol

I had it for Sean right away and I was picking Yan to win the fight lol. I value damage more than takedowns tho. You do you.

Yan was fucked over hard int that fight....I rewatched it and the fight stats are wrong as well...a majority of Seans strikes were blocked but for some reason counted?? I even slowed it down to ensure I wasnt missing anything in round 1 and its fucked up because I could only reach half of the sig strikes recorded for Sean. Yan won round 1, round 3 was the same thing out of the supposed 40 sig strikes Sean landed AI only counted 21...many were blocked or didnt even land and Yan had the TD's and control for most of the fight same deal win rounds 1 and 2 he controlled the cage far more than Sean did.

This fight really pissed me off and if you honestly try and claim its not a robbery or that Sean won you are a troll or a complete moron...every single media score I found had it for Yan, I turned the fucking PPV off after this and I am like done watching UFC for some time as that was as fixed of an outcome as I have ever seen...literally one of the worst decisions to ever occur in the cage. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot...just go back and watch the fight and you will find the same as I did....fight was fucking fixed.
I've watched the fight three times now. Omalley clearly got the better of the striking and Yan did absolutely nothing with his td. The outrage over this fight is bizarre.

I wonder if they scored all those front kicks by Sean which barely made any contact as sig strikes.

Counting strikes is overrated. Each strike is different. You need to use your eyes and brain.

like Yan being physically rocked more times than Sean was? Face being more of a mess? Yeah, Sean won by the eye test too.

Round 1 is the only round close enough to be questioned imo.
Rd 2 - Yan's easily but not 10/8
Rd 3 - Yan got 2 TD's but didn't do anything with it. meanwhile he got outstruck & got a major laceration & was bleeding all over the octogon... which is the highest of judging criteria. No way Yan getting 2 TD's equates the damage he took.

People see Yan pushing the action in the center of the octogon & putting O'Malley on defense with his TD attempts & then laying in O'Malley's guard when he got the TD... & feel like Yan was the aggressor. Okay, fair enough, but you only get credit for aggression... if "all striking & grappling are indistinguishable."

Every sofa-judge... (& even some of the actual judges...) need to really wrap their heads around how "lay & pray" is scored. Unless you advance position, threaten with a submission, or land strikes from the top, your only credit for the whole time you went for the TD & then just layed there... is for the TD only.

"holding the center" of the octogon scores 0... Holding someone against the fence, and/or "attempting" a TD that puts your opponent on defense scores 0. Laying & praying scores 0.

The TD itself is a significant & proper credit... but O'Malley boxed up Yan in the 1st & landed the heavier strikes... & even did a sweet shot that took Yan to his knees where O'Malley circled to Yan's back. So this was very far from a robbery.

Basically this whole subject is about whether or not Yan's TD in Rd 1 caught him up to being outstruck by O'Malley. I say no.
I think as time goes on people will start to accept that this is what happened in the fight. It's clear as day rewacthing that first round that Sean was picking Yan apart while Yan was whiffing on shots. The biggest strike of the round was the overhand right from Sean at 3:15 left in the round and he lands another nice right not long after. Yan doesn't land one clean head strike at range the entire round. Yan landed some leg kicks and body kicks, so he kept it competitive, but it's clear that Sean was in control of that round.

…and having Yan backpeddle for a minute

I agree with the gist of what you are saying, but that sequence of Yan backpedaling after getting slashed by the knee lasted like 10-12 seconds. Don't take my word for it, just watch the replays. Nearly all of O’Malley's follow-up shots missed or were blocked and the sequence ended with O’Malley getting countered hard three times, then taking a proper low kick that made his leg buckle and caused him to back off. I get that the aesthetics were better for O’Malley but judges should see through that shit and note that, shot for shot, Yan actually won the skirmish.

People who were rooting for O'Malley are going by feels and propagating false narratives like the 40-15 nonsense. I only have so much patience for this and will begin ignoring it soon, but this being the first 24hrs after a show, I am still having fun analysing the fights and going back and forth with people on here.

Calm down friend... we're just talking MMA here, and there are more holes in your comments than your ranting warrents talking earlier about cage control n stuff to make your point. In this post, you literally quoted me the same "significant strike" argument I made earlier in this same thread.

In post #36 I literally explained in detail why I feel the "Significant strike" count is bunk. So why are you on my ass about significant strikes? You seem to just be in a frenzy & ranting against anyone who sees what 2 of the judges saw.

I had it for Sean right away and I was picking Yan to win the fight lol. I value damage more than takedowns tho. You do you.
There is valuing damage, and then there is completely ignoring all the grappling exchanges because one guy MAYBE edged out the striking

People thinking the third round was a blowout on the feet for O'Malley because he had the big dramatic moments that tend to sway people far too much in scoring fights... I could see saying O'Malley edged out the striking, but it was close... and Yan completely dominated the grappling... which is why all the media scores were for Yan

Even beyond this fight, this mentality a lot of people have always annoys me. Fans want to see striking so they're soooo biased against grappling that it's basically the equivalent of octagon control in their minds... it only matters if everything else in the fight is completely equal

like Yan being physically rocked more times than Sean was? Face being more of a mess? Yeah, Sean won by the eye test too.

Cut is damage, but chin shots don't mark you up. Yan rocked him too a few times. You sound biased.

I really want to hear people's opinions on the actual strikes landed rather than just the stats. Should the two big right hands Sean landed in round one be weighed more heavily or less heavily than the leg kicks Yan landed? Should all the stiff jabs Sean landed be weighed more heavily or less heavily than the 40-50 seconds of control time that Yan had and did nothing with? Is Yan not being able to land a single clean head strike at range in the first round not a problem for him?

I've watched UFC and long enough to know that clean head strikes have always been given the most weight in fights, but now all of a sudden no one wants to even mention them when talking about this fight.

Every single media outlet on mmadecisions.com scored the fight for Yan. Every other robbery I can think of had a couple outlets agreeing with the judges.

People thinking the third round was a blowout on the feet for O'Malley because he had the big dramatic moments that tend to sway people far too much in scoring fights... I could see saying O'Malley edged out the striking, but it was close... and Yan completely dominated the grappling... which is why all the media scores were for Yan

Even beyond this fight, this mentality a lot of people have always annoys me. Fans want to see striking so they're soooo biased against grappling that it's basically the equivalent of octagon control in their minds... it only matters if everything else in the fight is completely equal
While I agree with your premise that grappling is just as important for scoring as striking... I think you need to brush up on what exactly is scored as "effective grappling." Non-effective grappling scores 0.

All Yan did the entire fight that was of any scoring value grappling wise... was get TD's. He did nothing with them though, and so any time he spent stalling on the top or going for TD's etc... scores 0 for both men.

I reviewed this in post #43 of this thread

So your agrument needs to be cornerstoned more on whether or not those 2 TD's in Rd. 3 equal the blood gushing laceration O'Malley served up. Damage is the highest of judging criteria. O'Malley also outstuck him over-all as well as getting the most significant strike of the whole fight & painting the octogon & himself with Yan's blood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back