Rewatch You guys remember Kenny Florini?

Such a beast. The Stevenson fight was at his prime in my opinion

WHO WANTS TO SEE FIGHTS FINISHED AT 155? I FINISH FIGHTS

I liked Kenny. He was a great fighter and had some great fights and finished. Particularly liked the Guida sequence into the finish. It’s too bad he got blacklisted for plagiarizing smh

Kenny is underrated here. Finishing Guida in late 2009 was a pretty big deal. Between 2006-11, Guida had wins over Josh Thomson, Nate Diaz, Pettis, RDA, Gomi and others and very few fighters finished him in his prime. And Guida is still fighting and sometimes winning!

I think the lack of respect may come from BJ Penn haters, who mock his competition. While guys like Florian and Diego Sanchez aren't as good as current top LWs, it was a solid division at the time. All of the weight classes have evolved, especially from WW and below. That's the nature of sports, especially younger ones like MMA.

You are literally reinforcing what I wrote.

Connor was among the most extreme weight cutting featherweights of his generation. Zabit is famously enormous for the division.

Kenny had a substantial weight cut to 145lbs, by his own accord (and using your eyeballs and knowledge of weight cutting substantiates what he said) and he - like I said - had a tough cut to featherweight and it took a lot out of him.

He would probably land somewhere around the top 15% for frame size in the division today. Yes, that means the upper most extreme weight cutters would still be his size or larger.
He was the prototype for later big FWs like Conor, McKee, etc. He's taller (but lankier) than Conor. He's probably the only guy in the UFC to fight at FW, LW, WW and MW.

"We're not here to take part! We're here to take BJ's belt!"

- Kenny Florian

Mike Goldberg told me that Kenny was sharpening his elbows with Mark DellaGrotte. I still to this day don't know what he meant.

Joe Aldo crushed him pretty badly

He just randomly popped up in my head. I know he had 3 title fights and a bunch of good fights, but it’s been so long I forget his fighting style besides being a southpaw.

I just remember when he was fight week for Aldo. At the time it was kind of a big deal making weight for Kenny. He was considered big for featherweight and I remember he had to diet pretty strictly.
It’s funny cuz if I were to look at him today, I don’t think he’s particularly large for featherweight. IIRC he’s like 5’9 and not super muscular.

I also remember Aldo having some hard weight cuts at fw too. And now hes not even a featherweight for todays standards.
Funny how the game changes

Funny coincidence

Funny coincidence

Literally was going to post this. He’s literally on the front page of sherdog right now. Hes also still highly involved in mma (orgs, podcasts etc) making him accessible still.

Always thought his personality was nerdy af but he was an original JBG disciple so bless Kenny Florini

Back