Rewatch You guys remember Kenny Florini?

I was thinking of making a similar thread the other day. It seemed he was a real pet of Dana's, but fell short of expectations. Was then gifted a commentary type job (?) until he plagiarised blatantly. Someone said he was doing commentary for Robot Wars or something, but Don't know if that was a joke.

Remember he did a walk out in a yellow Bruce Lee track suit lol. I tried but failed to find a photo of it.

Still can't find the yellow track suit pic, but found this gem:

1703904219456.png

Was it Florini that Dana had stated was 'the next Anderson Silva' that he had found?

I was actually a big fan haha I liked his southpaw somewhat traditional Muay Thai and ground game.

Kenny Florini? Did he fight around the same time as Ryoto Machida and Michael Cro Cop?
That’s Florian. Florini fought around the same time as Giblert Melendez and Anderson Aldo.

He was a fun fighter to watch and seemed like a good dude. He’s also one of those guys who makes you realize how quickly time flies. I remember some of his impressive wins like the ones over Joe Daddy, Guida, and Huerta and they don’t seem so long ago. In reality, he retired over twelve years ago. Crazy.

Wasn’t that speech after his fight at UFC 73 which ended up being the “Main Event“ if order and precedent mean anything 😂

It was after he fought Din Thomas. Kind of crazy how back then 155 was seen as the "small" division and not known for a division full of finishes. Sherk was kind of just UDing everyone but some years later it's probably one of the most violent divisions.

He's been taking fashion seriously lately.

Ben-Stiller-18.jpg

"Sherdog killed my memories of Kenny Florian fights because the plagiarism incident"
-Kenny Florini

I remember Florian most for pissing all over himself in a fight and getting blackballed from MMA for plagiarism and becoming a meme.

Over achiever is a stretch, anybody that fights Drew Fitcket to a majority draw in there 3rd pro fight is talented.

I didn’t mean like that, Im sorry it came iutvthat way

@rjmbrd cleaned it up and spoke more clearly on the fact how Kenny lacked athleticism to even be in there fighting those savages, let alone at MW and even WW before finding his footing

This is pretty much the perfect Kenny Florian summary.

Smart, hard working over achiever that had excellent technique in preparation making up for a lack of athletic gifts. The cut to featherweight was really about getting a belt, once it became clear he was just shy of that level at 155lbs. Solidly top 10 contender, not among the very best however.

His other gigs outside the cage allowed him to get out in time. Its a bummer so many of his peers are unable or unwilling to do the same.

{<redford}

Wasn't he a 155 fighter from Finland or something?

It was after he fought Din Thomas. Kind of crazy how back then 155 was seen as the "small" division and not known for a division full of finishes. Sherk was kind of just UDing everyone but some years later it's probably one of the most violent division.
fuck I must be getting old. 🦫 🧠

He just randomly popped up in my head. I know he had 3 title fights and a bunch of good fights, but it’s been so long I forget his fighting style besides being a southpaw.

I just remember when he was fight week for Aldo. At the time it was kind of a big deal making weight for Kenny. He was considered big for featherweight and I remember he had to diet pretty strictly.
It’s funny cuz if I were to look at him today, I don’t think he’s particularly large for featherweight. IIRC he’s like 5’9 and not super muscular.

I also remember Aldo having some hard weight cuts at fw too. And now hes not even a featherweight for todays standards.
Funny how the game changes
He fought as high as WW. You are right though. Guys nowadays are much bigger since they have weight cutting down to a science.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back