• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

You start losing muscle at 30 and when you hit 50 it accelerates, how to slow muscle loss

I lift heavy (heavy for me anyway) and my most recent injury came from sitting down wrong.

Training should prevent injuries. If you're getting injured from sitting down wrong then you need to evaluate why is your current training is not preventing that. Lifting heavy won't do anything to correct terrible posture and range of motion as you know. There is only a certain amount of attention dollars you have in a day so if your spending them on things that are not preventing injuries it's probably better to adjust.

I don't see why you'd get injured if you're using correct form. But doing even the mundane everyday tasks can cause injury if you have bad form and posture. I realized how much important posture is the older I get.

Yes in theory lifting heavy with perfect form is fine. The problem is;

A.) We are human and rarely are you going to go years in the gym lifting with perfect form all the time
B) Training modalities generally become riskier as you add weight or add complexity to the lift.

To point B, generally speaking barbell squatting 400lbs is going to be a riskier training modality over 300lbs to the average person. Just like barbell squatting 500lbs is going to be riskier over 300lbs.
Olympic lifting is going to be a riskier over most other lifts because of the complexity involved.

At the end of the day you need to ask yourself what your goals in training are. If it's for health(injury free) then their is nothing healthier about squatting 400lbs over 300lbs for example.

I lift heavy (heavy for me anyway) and my most recent injury came from sitting down wrong. I don't see why you'd get injured if you're using correct form. But doing even the mundane everyday tasks can cause injury if you have bad form and posture. I realized how much important posture is the older I get.

What do you consider heavy?

where you can barely do 3 lifts?

A lot of people have ruptured a muscle by lifting heavy even with perfect form

lifting with a heavy enough weight is best, where you start getting tired close to the 10 rep range.

but one thing I advise is to go light when it comes to shoulders, pushing up heavy weight on shoulders is very dangerous a lot of people fuck their shoulders up and never grow them, but some guys I know who use lighter weights on shoulder workouts got nice caped shoulders and traps and no injuries

and trust me a shoulder injury is nagging, you get this pinching feeling that bugs you and makes it hard to focus so you start popping pain killers.

I don't want to tear something and have it be an issue for the rest of my life. Both of my parents have joint problems in their 50s and I've seen how much it can fuck up your quality of life. I'd rather have good health than be able to bench press 315 lbs.

Keep benching 315 or deadlifting 400 lbs and one day you're going to rip something that will prevent you from doing outdoors/ athletic stuff for the rest of your life.

Almost 50, been lifting serious for 20 years (squatted 625 when I was 34)and took up judo at 40.....doesn’t seem to be a problem. YMMV.

sure fire way to not lose muscle after 50 is to take a dirt nap before reaching 50.

BraveAnchoredCoelacanth-size_restricted.gif

Edmond didn't know you weren't supposed to inject retard strength into her brain.

Was hilarious this oafy powerlifting bro came in to jiu jitsu class and got tapped out by a 185 pound skinny Royce Gracie look alike. Functional Strength and knowing how to fight > muscle gym bros that can barely tie there shoes and get winded quick style.
But what if the gym bro keeps going to BJJ class and actually learns something? Everything else being equal, I'd pick gym bro over skinny dude.

But what if the gym bro keeps going to BJJ class and actually learns something? Everything else being equal, I'd pick gym bro over skinny dude.

Agreed. Tapping someone with absolutely no experience in grappling isn't something to boast about, no matter how big the guy is. Put the gym bro in there with an equally inexperienced skinny bro and then let's see what happens.

I’m 36 and I feel like I’d ragdoll 26 year old me.

It's all true. I went to a bar that I haven't visited in a few years and the bartender lady asked me why my proportional arms were so small. Evidently, I used to be jacked, in her eyes. Gotta get back in the gym.

It's all true. I went to a bar that I haven't visited in a few years and the bartender lady asked me why my proportional arms were so small. Evidently, I used to be jacked, in her eyes. Gotta get back in the gym.
thats what happened to my friend who used to be jacked in high school he played football with me and wrestled in junior college and we lost touch for a while until recently, I remember seeing him recently and he looked tiny, he stopped training when he went to work an office job in the city and he went through a tough divorce, he lost all his gains and has belly and lost his chiseled face and big arms, in high school he was yoked he had caped shoulders, muscular arms, he was only 165 pounds at 5 8 but he was built like that dude Shute from vision quest who wrestled in the 160s.

visionquest_gay06.jpg

now at 34 he looks like this
skinny-fat.jpg

thats what happened to my friend who used to be jacked in high school he played football with me and wrestled in junior college and we lost touch for a while until recently, I remember seeing him recently and he looked tiny, he stopped training when he went to work an office job in the city and he went through a tough divorce, he lost all his gains and has belly and lost his chiseled face and big arms, in high school he was yoked he had caped shoulders, muscular arms, he was only 165 pounds at 5 8 but he was built like that dude Shute from vision quest who wrestled in the 160s.

visionquest_gay06.jpg

skinny-fat.jpg

thanks for the sexy pictures, i guess...

Hey bro, not to call you out or anything, but don't you take SARMS?

Yeah, have done for the last year. Years of lifting prior to that however had the desired effect. Ostarine gave me 2yrs progress in one I reckon.

This is true ,but as you age I would say that you playing with fire or playing the lottery so to speak, if you continue to try and always outdo your max or do the same as you did when you were younger. That, along with bad form, is why many dudes herniate their disc or have other debilitating injuries. Doesn't mean you cant lift heavy as you age into your 50's, 60's 70's, but you obviously gotta taper off and listen to your body and not your ego. Justl ike in BJJ. Rafa Mendes will always be good for sure, but as he ages into his 50's and onward, its unrealistic to think hell roll with 100 against a guy like Buchecha or Rodolfo Viera. Doesn't mean he cant tap em. Just means that he is risking injury more and more if he always trains like that.

Strength athletes are still peaking into their mid 40's. I think it would be a nonsense to train for a competitive advantage at 50+ though, training for health definitely key.

few years ago when I was 28 I had a friend and coworker who was only 37 and he could barely walk, he used to be a power lifter and loved lifting heavy now his hip is fucked up and his back and his shoulders and knees, he got addicted to pain killers, he tried weed but it wasn't strong enough and only temporary

He was the one who advised me not to lift heavy for ego he said dont do what I did you dont need to lift heavy he said he wished he could still move without pain and wish he never focused on getting huge and howing off how much he could lift.

all that heavy lifting and showing off yet he is still young and can barely move and is jacked up on pain meds

I remember picking him up to go eat with some coworkers and he had trouble sitting down he was like an old guy, his joints and cartilage was screwed up, he told me his shoulders are basically to the bone, his rotator was so damaged from doing heavy dumbell presses to show off how strong he was that now trying to lift 10 pounds over his head hurts, he told me his shoulders tickle and his wrist from nerve damage as well, he has trouble focusing because of that tingling feeling in his wrist, he does a rehab every week in a pull thats what the majority of his workout consists of, doing those under water jogs and light movements under water

Id rather do safe workouts to keep me strong and healthy where I am mobile look good in a suit and can enjoy life I could care less about looking like a freak with massive muscles and boasting of a 300 pound bench press and 500 squat, why?

Ill stick to bodyweight stuff like push ups, dumbell jump squats, dips and pull/chin up.

Yeah he was doing it wrong. Also competitive powerlifting is a real strain, constantly pushing yourself for PR's, lifting with bad form to make a heavy lift etc. Not easy to do that safely over time.

The sad thing is all these lifting bros see guys like the "The Rock" or that Rich Piana freak and they think that it's really cool and Alpha.

Ya gotta remember those kinds of people are competitive strength (body image) athletes at the top of their respective games and sacrifice a lot to achieve it.

You can absolutely avoid injury if you push it to 95% instead of 100. The problem is we learn from our mistakes and it's very hard to be into doing warmups and stretching with rigorously structured sub maximal lifting and well thought out and self catered accessory exercises without having fucked up first.

If you're a fast learner and a student of the self it really helps.

visionquest_gay06.jpg

skinny-fat.jpg

Jesus I had forgotten how jacked Shute was. Perfect male physique. No homo. Sad to hear your boy lost all that.

From the Times:

Science works out secret to a
20-year-old body in your 70s
The study found those who exercised regularly maintained the muscles, lungs and immune systems of
people decades younger

The elixir of youth has finally been discovered, but couch potato
Britain is not going to like it.
A lifetime of vigorous exercise will let you keep the body of a 20-year-
old well into your 70s, scientists have found.
The physical decline thought to be an inevitable part of ageing is
actually the result of not exercising enough, according to research
which found that regular cyclists maintained the muscles, lungs,
fitness, blood pressure and even the immune systems of people
decades younger.
The tsunami of sickness about to hit the NHS as millions of people
enter old age with serious health problems could be averted if people
were more active, researchers insist.
People become more sedentary as they get older, with less than 5 per
cent of over-65s doing the recommended two-and-a-half hours of
moderate exercise a week, compared with half of younger people.
Janet Lord of the University of Birmingham, co-author of research
published in Aging Cell, said: "Our findings debunk the assumption
that ageing automatically makes us more frail. We now have strong
evidence that encouraging people to commit to regular exercise
throughout their lives is a viable solution to the problem that we are
living longer but not healthier."
She looked at 125 keen cyclists aged 55 to 79 who had been exercising
regularly for 25 years and covered 300km every month, comparing
them with 75 ordinary people of a similar age and 55 people aged 20
to 36.
On a string of physical measures the cyclists were indistinguishable
from people much younger and scientists were surprised to discover
that their immune systems were also the same. They kept making T
cells, which organise the response to new infection, in the same way
as younger people while production tailed off in older people who did
not cycle.
"It's in the textbooks that your immune system doesn't work as well
and you get more infections but in the cyclists they were the same as
a 20-year-old," Professor Lord said. "If you put a bag on their heads
and just showed people their bodies you would think they were 20-
year-olds. It's amazing." Asked if she had discovered the elixir of
youth, Professor Lord said: "I think it's that simple."
She now aims to discover how much exercise people need to do to
stay young. "My suspicion is you don't need to do a massive amount.
It may be intensity that helps going up and down the stairs ten
times a day. Stairs are really good exercise but what do we do with
our older folk? We put them in bungalows."
The professor said people should not be daunted by the example of
the super-fit cyclists. "The message is just do something," she said.
"You get a big benefit just going from being a sedentary person to just
doing something. The evidence is really clear that mid-life or
whenever, if you increase your physical activity you will bring your
risk factors down. It's never too late."
Caroline Abrahams of Age UK said: "While there is no magic formula
for staying mentally and physically fit in later life, there is
ovenwhelming evidence about the benefits of keeping active,
whatever your age or state of health. Whether you're 25 or 85, male or
female, we know that moving more will continue to have a positive
impact as you grow older and everyone can take steps to enjoy a more
active later life."
How to stay forever young
'"Super-agers" had been keen cyclists for about 25 years. They
covered 300km each month
•Men had to be able to cover 100km in under 6.5 hours
•Women had to cover 60km in 5.5 hours
•Any high-intensity exercise is likely to help you stay young, even
climbing the stairs
•Amazonian people who spend all day walking have the arteries of
westerners 30 years younger, previous research has found.

Back