Your best movie theater experience......

Prior to its release I remember that it was being written off as another slasher film. Slasher horror wasn't really much of a thing anymore in the mid 90s.
By the late 80s it really ran out of steam.
Then in the early 90s you were getting films like Doctor Giggles.
When it was announced that Craven had a non-supernatural slasher horror it was like there was no way this was making a comeback.
After that opening weekend people really started buzzing about it.

I think I heard that Drew Barrymore was upset (in hindsight) that she opted for a early death cameo

I lived this era in the exact same way man. It was a slasher film to a whole new level for a new generation. Then the I know What you Did Last Summer tried to tag onto the rebirth of a genre, but they weren't as visceral.

I used to ditch school frequently as a teenager and if I couldn't get anyone to hang out I'd go to the dollar theatre. I watched Signs in an empty theatre at 11am and really stoned. Until this day is was by far the best experience I ever had at a theatre

Oh I got a bj during Austin Powers 2 so that was a good one too

Saw 300 on Imax high as a jumbo jet.

Second equal would be Indpendence Day and Jurrasic Park just for the awestruck moments of seeing shit you didn't think possible.

Yup. Sick as hell too.

And yes I know,
I sound old.

That's cool you were able to see it there.
I saw it as soon as it came out on VHS and for a long time after that I refused to sleep in the center of my bed (J Depp death). Mind you, i was only 7 when we rented it

I met my wife in 1999... one of the first movies we went to (dating) was The Blair Witch Project. We went with another girl we worked with and her boyfriend.

As we were driving back home the couple in the backseat was talking alittle too weird about the movie. They seemed too freaked out.
I asked them, "You don't think that was real do you??".... anyway, it turns out that they actually believed it was a documentary.

It wasn't? Seemed legit to me.

One that stands out was seeing Alice in Wonderland in 3-d on shrooms on my birthday. My friend and i were the only two people in the theater... was fun...

That's cool you were able to see it there.
I saw it as soon as it came out on VHS and for a long time after that I refused to sleep in the center of my bed (J Depp death). Mind you, i was only 7 when we rented it

Haha yeah that movie scared the hell out of me. I was around 12.

It was definitely different than anything in horror I'd seen before.
Interesting camera techniques too.

Giving head in the back of the movie theater.

Is my avatar still Anthony Hopkins?

Anyway, I think it was VIRUS or X2. Possibly LOTR. I do that a lot, apparently in sci-fi movies. You know what they say, Just because you came alone doesn't mean .... wait, I might be mixing my metaphors.

In 1996 I thought I was beyond ever getting freaked out by a movie... but the opening scene in that movie had me pretty tense.
Yeah that beginning is insane. I remember feeling like what am I watching.
"Listen you little bitch! You hang up on me again and I'll gut you like a fish!"
<{danawhoah}>
Shit got real in a hurry. One of the GOAT horrors.

For me it was The Dark Knight. Midnight showing on opening day. Just an instant classic genre defining experience. Everybody applauded and popped for the spot where the bat pod hits the wall and spins around to face Joker.

Interstellar. Must be seen in the theatre to be appreciated. The loudest sound effects and score I've ever heard. There were times when I thought the theatre made a mistake and had the audio up too loud. The docking scene literally put me on the edge of my seat and I can't remember that happening another time.

Just remembered seeing Star Wars: A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back when they were rereleased in theaters in 1997, amazing experience that made me a lifetime Star Wars fan.

I'm with you on this, showing our age.

I went with my uncle, we paid once, went into the theatre at 1pm and didn't leave until we had watched it 3 times ..

Dredd 3D and Piranha 3D were the best 3D movies I've seen and I'm not even a fan of 3D.

Watching The Mist alone on a foggy night was spooky as fuck not to mention I had just moved to a new state and knew almost no one.

JAWS on the big screen is also amazing.
Piranha (the newer one) is really good, surprisingly.

I love that movie, I picked it up when the blockbuster down the street closed down. I went in there the last day they were open and the guy sold me any dvd I wanted for 50 cents.

I bought like a hundred dvds without cases. There's still some I haven't seen. I stumbled on Piranha and I've watched it a bunch of times.

I remember being 8 years old watching Titanic in the movie theater.

And when Rose got naked I pooped a huge Boner and couldn't believe it lol. Normally I wasn't allowed to watch things like that :)

Good to see Scream getting some love in here! I missed in in the cinema but loved it on VHS (Yes - VHS!) and was there opening night for Scream 2.

In answer to the question... Best theatre experience? I don't think I could list 1 so I'll go with a couple at different stages of my life...

TMNT - Back in the day! Seeing that with all my friends from school was great!
Seven - I remember being on the edge of my seat (literally) as this film concluded!
Saving Private Ryan - Never saw a film that blew the audience away like this did - Everyone was dead silent at the end and didn't move! Burnt into my memory!

As far as the crowd having a blast - The Mummy 1999 believe it or not...
Being blown away (out of nowhere) Fellowship of the ring! I went along to this with zero interest...

Too many to list but there are the ones that come to mind!

I remember convincing my dad to take me to watch Friday After Next. I was only 8-9 when it came out but I remember thinking it was hilarious that I was so young sitting there watching a Friday movie with my dad who was really not into it initially. Most of my favorite theater experiences are with my dad. I didn't even care about what we were going to watch most of the time.

Now that I'm older I'd say The Force Awakens is up there, so is The Conjuring. There was a family sitting in front of me at The Conjuring and they were on the edge of their seats the whole time, it was fun to watch their reactions. I really enjoy most experiences if everyone is quiet and into the movie.

When I went to see DREDD 3D with my friend. There were only two other people. That, plus the most incredible 3d experience ever, makes this the one.

When the first Mortal Kombat movie came out, I was 10. My mom and brother wanted to see something else, so my mom bought me a ticket for MK, and they saw a different movie. MK had already been out for a couple weeks, so I was the only person in that theater. It was awesome. I kept changing seats willy nilly during the movie just because I could. To this day, I've never been the sole person at the movie theater ever again.

Back