Your reaction: The UFC decides to stop producing TUF seasons

Id rather see a tv show where they follow a ufc talent scout as he goes to minor leagues / top camps and grades potential talent than this reality house.

I just don't understand the dislike of TUF, if you don't like it then don't watch.

My biggest gripe is hearing that Cain, Pettis will be coaches. That's really where most of my negativity comes from this system.

And to validate your point, I haven't in a while, I must admit. The TUF Nations, Brasil, China, Ronda, Sonnen, seasons...

Kelvin and Urijah were great recent pick ups through TUF, though. There's that.

I wouldn't mind if they gave the North American editions of the show a rest, until they could really come up with a quality product. The foreign versions are probably useful for them to break into a new market. I haven't genuinely enjoyed a TUF Season since Miller vs Bisping.

Its been old for a very long time. At this point only morons or teenage dummies watch it. They need a new formula big time. Maybe they should do another veterans tuf.

I'm okay with them doing a lot of the international TUF, because places like AUS and the UK do need some draws, but they need to slow down on the standard TUFs. I'd be okay with doing a new one every 2 or so years.

I think they should do one American season a year instead of two. It's just watered down.

I think the TUF seasons in other countries is a good idea but the talent level isn't going to be there for them to compete with current UFC fighters. Keep them regional and let those other countries build their talent level.

sorry, tgray7, but uh... we're about to get a LOT more Ultimate Fighter seasons per year

UFC planning to build production facility in Abu Dhabi

It's not a reality show, it's a disguised feeder league... They can promote up and coming fighters, get them some tv exposure without the huge overhead of a PPV event. Plus there are not very many orgs left in business. Bellator is mostly B fighters and UFC cast offs. And then there are small orgs like WSOF which again are C fighters and UFC cast offs.

TUF lets them showcase unknown fighters, get them dirt cheap and determine (Via twitter and other media) if any of the fighters are generating interest.

It's actually really smart.

No reaction really since I don't watch it. I do hate that it clogs a division when a champion is coaching.

But at the same time, its a good format to introduce a new division or to beef up a new division like season 14.

Why would Dana want another Bonnar/Griffin? That already saved the UFC. They're just using TUF to get into new countries.

well at least you admit it.

it's because it's the one thing that has succeeded in new markets. many things have been tried, all but 1 have failed. including in North America.

so why would they get rid of the one thing that works?

it's easy to say now "hey, it's lame" after it successfully sucked you in oh so many years ago. but they have a few dozen million other "you"s in mind now. meanwhile, to facilitate multiple markets, they need multiple TUFs. Brazil, Canada, UK, Australia, Singapore....sure American's get bored - they saw it almost 10 years ago.

you don't have to worry about it, is the good thing. you could have focused on Saturday's card and not tonight's. you can choose to do that. if you want. that's one of the beauties of the Fox deal - not only does it allow Zuffa the opportunity to have TUF Singapore, TUF Australia v UK (or whatever it was) and TUF v Canada, but they can ALSO do the Fox shows, UFN's....and yes, even a PPV a month or so.

This. I think TUF is still viable in their business strategy. I don't know about you guys, but I'm watching this season with Penn and Edgar. Its a good way to get to know fighters and root for them. And both fighters tonight looked like they could be contenders, especially Elias.

I just don't understand the dislike of TUF, if you don't like it then don't watch.

I'm okay with them doing a lot of the international TUF, because places like AUS and the UK do need some draws, but they need to slow down on the standard TUFs. I'd be okay with doing a new one every 2 or so years.

these gentlemen GET it
you rock sherdog :D

Id rather see a tv show where they follow a ufc talent scout as he goes to minor leagues / top camps and grades potential talent than this reality house.

great idea
maybe Joe and Shelby tag teaming it

Im a MMA fan and have watch since season one. Free fight every week
yes sir

I used to think there were way too many season, particularly with Dana complaining about the size of the roster, but the show's quality is way better than it used to be. Maybe people miss the reality TV shenanigans, but now it seems to be more about fighting than drunk dudes crying and throwing tantrums

yeah, another plus

I'd be sad. TUF is the greatest show on TV, it's pretty much the only TV show i watch. Just think about it, it documents on 16 or more fighters before their biggest fights in life. These guys come from all kinds of backgrounds, but mostly they're hungry guys who sacrificed a lot to keep fighting. MMA doesn't pay much outside the UFC and for a lot of these guys it's been a hard road to make it this far. A lot of them have families, children and other loved ones they leave behind in order to try and make a better future for themselves and for the people close to them. That's why you see a lot of guys break down and cry in the confessional booth in front of the camera and these guys aren't some wankers they're gritty people who fight for a living and because it's in their nature. For a lot of these guys it's do or die, this is the chance of their lifetime and they literally have to fight for it and it's all happening in front of you! It's the best reality TV show i ever watched and i hope it goes on forever.

i agree and seriously its the ONLY reality show on television
now of course i havent seen them all but man, theyre all loosely scripted​

Last edited:
The showcase of fighters is good.

The reality tv and house is old and played out. Tine for change.....

I'd be sad. TUF is the greatest show on TV, it's pretty much the only TV show i watch. Just think about it, it documents on 16 or more fighters before their biggest fights in life. These guys come from all kinds of backgrounds, but mostly they're hungry guys who sacrificed a lot to keep fighting. MMA doesn't pay much outside the UFC and for a lot of these guys it's been a hard road to make it this far. A lot of them have families, children and other loved ones they leave behind in order to try and make a better future for themselves and for the people close to them. That's why you see a lot of guys break down and cry in the confessional booth in front of the camera and these guys aren't some wankers they're gritty people who fight for a living and because it's in their nature. For a lot of these guys it's do or die, this is the chance of their lifetime and they literally have to fight for it and it's all happening in front of you! It's the best reality TV show i ever watched and i hope it goes on forever.

if they want to bring in quality fighters then they should cancel TUF. But it makes for good tv and is surely a good source of $$$ for UFC. They won't cancel it until we stop watching.

Who cares. Haven't watched TUF in years.

Indifferent. The show's premise sucks. The low framerate video for the actual fighting sucks. Most of the fighters aren't good enough to last in the UFC like the Season 1 guys did with Florian, Diego, Kos, Bonnar, Swick.

They should try something different and have Japanese guys who can't speak much English in the same house as a bunch of other guys who can't speak much English and have comedy via miscommunication.

almost-care.gif

meh, dont watch them anyway. stopped a long time ago.

I don't watch the show, mostly for the reasons the TS posted.

You can't say that Gastelum isn't a good prospect who did come from TUF, so clearly there are a few diamonds in the rough out there. Theodorou and Laprise may prove to be pretty decent fighters, being the first crop of TUFers straight out of Canada. Olivier Mercier also had some hype behind him, he can possibly bounce back from that SD loss if the UFC gives him a chance. As long as they find a couple legit prospects each season, they may as well keep on keeping on.

Maybe they should limit the seasons to one per year, though. No one is so interested in TUF that they need it all year long.

In fact, I think if they switched the show up all together and made it a nation vs nation thing (like the most recent one) they would get a lot more results. Maybe have eight fighters each from four different nations and make the context of the show a U.S. vs Canada vs Brazil vs Russia sort of thing. They can choose different countries as they continue to expand into them for future seasons.

Last edited:
No. I would like them to do a break and produce less season. Only 1 season per year and I would be more interested

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back