Your unpopular opinions on music

I agree about 80s- 90s hip hop
Disco had some music
Nirvana was a good band (RIP Cobain)

I’ve actually softened my stance on current hip hop. While it might not speak to me. If it speaks to someone else then who am I to judge? Although I would still be quick to call them out if they tried to pass themselves off as MC’s. I’m a traditionalist. If you can’t freestyle off the dome, you’re just a rapper. Which is okay.

Disco......man. My childhood was with a dad who thought he was Deney fucking Terrio.
upload_2019-6-4_15-6-16.jpeg

There are definitely some gems in that genre. An aunt of mine made it onto American Bandstand during the disco era. Fun times, lol.

Nirvana, what can we say. They fell victim to mainstream expectations. Which in turn lead Cobain into a situation that resulted in his death. Sometimes I wonder if it was for the best? I just can’t picture an older Cobain doing the same kind of mainstream rock Grohl has. Would he just be a bitter old rocker like Buzz of the Melvins is? Who knows? Kinda glad we never had to find out.

I’ve actually softened my stance on current hip hop. While it might not speak to me. If it speaks to someone else then who am I to judge? Although I would still be quick to call them out if they tried to pass themselves off as MC’s. I’m a traditionalist. If you can’t freestyle off the dome, you’re just a rapper. Which is okay.

Disco......man. My childhood was with a dad who thought he was Deney fucking Terrio.
View attachment 593337

There are definitely some gems in that genre. An aunt of mine made it onto American Bandstand during the disco era. Fun times, lol.

Nirvana, what can we say. They fell victim to mainstream expectations. Which in turn lead Cobain into a situation that resulted in his death. Sometimes I wonder if it was for the best? I just can’t picture an older Cobain doing the same kind of mainstream rock Grohl has. Would he just be a bitter old rocker like Buzz of the Melvins is? Who knows? Kinda glad we never had to find out.

The thing about Hip hop/rap I'm curious about
its beginnings the earliest I remember is the
late 70s.

How long has it been around?

The thing about Hip hop/rap I'm curious about
its beginnings the earliest I remember is the
late 70s.

How long has it been around?

Depends on what you consider hip hop. Is it the rapping only? The art of mixing music up with an MC to get the party going?

Some consider this the earliest progenitor of rapping from 1968...

If you are talking a DJ and an MC, then DJ Kool Herc started it all in 1973 at 1520 Sedgwick Ave. in NYC.
upload_2019-6-4_15-36-21.jpeg

Led Zepplin sucks, and Fleetwood Mac is pretty good.

Jazz and Blues are overrated.

Jam bands get too much shit.

Not judging his music, but I have no clue why anyone would consider Tupac as some wise prophet. Nothing I've heard or read from him was deeper than the inspirational Facebook pictures that single moms love to share.

As someone who plays and record both guitars and synths/VST, making electronic music is far easier and convenient than any other style. It's the same process, but every step is made easier by your DAW's tools.

Clubbing/rave music is just a barely improved metronome for dancing.

Watain just come off as pretentious to me trying to name drop Dissection to gain "street cred" from the metal genre lol Dissection is like 1000 times better than Watain Erik lying about playing in Dissection theres lots of reasons to dislike Watain...

Well, Watain was quite clearly Dissection's protegee and often opened for them. I saw Set Teitan play with both bands and Eric is credited with some backing vocals on Reinkaos. The connection is real, but I agree that Watain lost a lot of inspiration a long time ago. To me it's like Au-Dessus : well produced but absolutely generic black metal following the latest trend.

Despite the fact that I do not like the sound (for the most part), the current generation of Hip Hop artists are much more innovative and doing more with the genre than any of the previous generations.

Classic rock/classic rock musicians are incredibly overrated. Their musicianship can be easily matched by any professional Jazz or Classical musician and generally the best musicians in Rock music were trained in one of those styles anyway. The songs they made may have been big and people loved them, but in reality it was just pop music with distorted guitars, some blues and jazz influences and a guy kinda yelling into the microphone. I have my fair share of classic rock I enjoy, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking any of those guys are even comparable to someone like John Coltrane or George Gershwin (unfortunately I have seen many act like they are)

Most musicians who are trying to get big do not, but it's not the fault of the industry, it's the fault of the musicians. Most budding musicians are incredibly unoriginal and usually sound like cheap analogues of more polished sounds. If you're not selling your soul to maybe be the next pop idol, you have to get original and do something new and fresh. Most musicians trying to make it into a career focus too much on playing shows and not actually the music they're performing. Things are so saturated these days that if you don't, most people don't care to listen. This world already has a John Prine, so actually grind that shit and do something new with your guitar

Despite the fact that I love older music and a good portion of my music collection are things made before 2000, musicians these days are better. Not because the earlier people were just worse, but because of these musicians we can build on their accomplishments and improve upon their ideas. The level of playing and production is so high these days that I think the average professional musician from the modern era has more knowledge and a better understanding of music as a whole than the average musician in say, the 60s or 70s.

Alt rock and Grunge rock are a joke

If you think the current generation of rappers represents "the downfall of black society" it's obvious there is some level of racist undertones. Gang violence was much worse in the 90s and the subject matter of Hip Hop has not changed at all. It just got more popular, thereby making Hip Hop culture more mainstream. Admit to yourself you don't like the culture if you really think a music genre represents the downfall of a group of people who are by many statistics rising out of poverty, becoming more educated and getting more representation in government.

Daft Punk paved the way for many great electronic musicians, but their music is mostly just running the same sample over and over while adding a new hi hat loop every 16 bars. Anyone could have done it, they just happened to get their first. They're not really all that talented as producers or musicians and have been holding to the same schtick for too long. They have behind the times as far as production goes for a while

Mario Kart: Double Dash has the best soundtrack than any other video game ever made.

Since this isn't a thread with the intention of just posting videos, it seems as though it is free to post in Mayberry.

I'm a drummer. Kind of. Haven't touched a kit in a number of years but played every day for a solid decade+.

When I first started playing, I was 12 and really really into Slipknot. For me and so many others, the drummer (Joey Jordison) was a God. It didn't take long for me to move on to more extreme and eventually progressive metal. Slipknot was a gateway band into heavier and more complex stuff, and I never looked back.

Today (about ten minutes ago or so), I was recommended a drum cover of a Slipknot song. The part of me that is 12-13 years old has fond memories of the drumming so I clicked it, ready to be wowed.

And I was sorely disappointed. The drumming was not complex and, what really blew my mind, was not very fast at all. I remember as a kid thinking it was so so so fast and complex how could I EVER play something like that on drums. But with that decade of experience and having been long into the extreme metal scene, it was all just very bland and kind of slow. Just mid-tempo double bass beats with the occasional slow blast beat.

Cliffs: Despite YouTube comments to the contrary, Joey Jordison of Slipknot is NOT a great drummer. At least not judging by his performances with a one-note nu-metal band.

What are some of your unpopular opinions as pertaining to music?

My unpopular opinion is that sherdog shouldn't have a separate music forum. I like talking about music in Mayberry.

1. Axl Rose is the greatest front man alive

2. Michael Jackson never molested kids, and even if he did, I kinda don't care.

3. Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, and Beyonce have never been hot.

4. 80's New wave birthed some of the greatest songs in history

I too, think Joey has always been overrated.

Last edited:
Since this isn't a thread with the intention of just posting videos, it seems as though it is free to post in Mayberry.

I'm a drummer. Kind of. Haven't touched a kit in a number of years but played every day for a solid decade+.

When I first started playing, I was 12 and really really into Slipknot. For me and so many others, the drummer (Joey Jordison) was a God. It didn't take long for me to move on to more extreme and eventually progressive metal. Slipknot was a gateway band into heavier and more complex stuff, and I never looked back.

Today (about ten minutes ago or so), I was recommended a drum cover of a Slipknot song. The part of me that is 12-13 years old has fond memories of the drumming so I clicked it, ready to be wowed.

And I was sorely disappointed. The drumming was not complex and, what really blew my mind, was not very fast at all. I remember as a kid thinking it was so so so fast and complex how could I EVER play something like that on drums. But with that decade of experience and having been long into the extreme metal scene, it was all just very bland and kind of slow. Just mid-tempo double bass beats with the occasional slow blast beat.

Cliffs: Despite YouTube comments to the contrary, Joey Jordison of Slipknot is NOT a great drummer. At least not judging by his performances with a one-note nu-metal band.

IIRC Joey wasn't even really a drummer when he started in Slipknot. He could kinda drum and they needed someone at the time. Apparently that caused him to play a lot in qeird time signatures.

As for mine... It Was Written was better than Illmatic. Thats right I said it.

I'd say he's still a great drummer even though his parts aren't the most complex or difficult to learn. To be able to do it day in and day out in front of huge crowds with pro consistency, most people who play think they are as good as the pros they emulate but they don't actually have the consistency. They can only pull it off in bursts. Jordison can probably play his parts in his sleep. I am sure he has it in his wheelhouse to play more complex stuff, probably just as complex as anybody else out there, but he chooses to play what he does because it works. Music isn't always about being the most technical on your instrument. Many people cite John Bonham as the greatest drummer of all time and he was playing pretty simple stuff most of the time.

1. Axl Rose is the greatest front man alive

2. Michael Jackson never molested kids, and even if he did, I kinda don't care.

3. Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, and Beyonce have never been hot.

4. 80's New wave birthed some of the greatest songs in history

You don't care Micheal Jackson may have molested kids?

I think Taylor Swift has some good songs
And Disco area produced some good music.

Back