a thread has no name (and no spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, no. High Garden went to the Lannisters. Infact, I do believe most of Renly's forces declared for Kingslanding after Renly was killed. Its what swung the tide and eventually overpowered Stannis forcing his retreat.

And regardless of this scenario -my point is more about who was actually supposed to get the throne, not who could have won it by force. I honestly don't care which army could defeat the next.

My main point is; Stannis had no choice -Renly did. And he (Renly) made the wrong choice.
The houses from the Reach declared for the crown, but most of the houses from the Stormlands declared for Stannis, and that's what made up most of his force when he went after KL.

Dany is not officially his Auntie yet. Everyone assumed that theory is true (it probably is) but it might not be.

Also, she would be his, what, half aunt who is younger than him? Seems like not that big of a deal as far as Westeros goes.

Him screwing Sansa I agree would be super weird and uncool.
It's amusing how GOT has changed pre conceived notions on incest. "Banging your aunt who's a little older?" All good " "banging your cousin who's younger" that ain't right. Lol

The houses from the Reach declared for the crown, but most of the houses from the Stormlands declared for Stannis, and that's what made up most of his force when he went after KL.

Either way, Stannis has to fight. Renly didn't have to but chose to because he felt like it.

All he really had to do was back his older brother and they win in a landslide. Of course, like Jim said -theres no show if that happens. But still..

We got a title for tonight?

They might have been right, sure, but that's not how the laws of Westeros were supposed to work.

People play fast and loose with the rules when it suits them. It's weird they would support Renly because he would be a better king even though he was gay with no combat experience. A progressive minded people, those stormlanders...
I don't think rules of succession really mean much if you have the bigger army.
Also, I think they mostly went with Renly because Stannis was a dick. Stannis had some admirable qualities, sure, but his inability to compromise doomed his claim from the start.

I did not come up with that btw, so I am not taking credit for it.

Yeah, sounds about right.

In any event -I agree that Renly didn't have a 'right' to the throne if you go by the rule of succession, which this fictional world seems to go by. Hence, why bastard children and killing offspring of would be high born royalty is such a priority to scheming characters show wise.

However, Renly seemed to be planning on taking the throne by force which is technically another way to get the seat. So there is some grey area in this discussion. But even that always leads back to him at some point having to kill or fight Stannis due to the nature of that decision.

At the end of the day, Renly was dumb and in the wrong for trying to skip the rule of succession here and thus dividing up forces when he could have taken up cause with Stannis and easily won the throne (from the looks of it anyway). On the end of Stannis, he kind of had no choice but to try and get the throne if you think about it -backing Renly would have made him look weak and as a result no one would have any respect for him after, not to mention its outside of the law of the land for him to take up Renly's cause when the throne should be his. Almost all of this is why the 'honorable' Ned Stark chose to back Stannis as the rightful heir.

Renly -even tho his heart might have been in the right place- kind of fucked a lot of shit up when he chose this course.

The search for Robert's bastards was to strengthen the black hair theory and Mel wanted those with King's blood for her witchcraft. I don't think the bastards had any claim to the throne unless they are legitimized by Robert before his death.

I wondered why Renly didn't have black hair in the show.
maxresdefault.jpg

#Black(fish)LivesMatter is another one

The search for Robert's bastards was to strengthen the black hair theory and Mel wanted those with King's blood for her witchcraft. I don't think the bastards had any claim to the throne unless they are legitimized by Robert before his death.

I wondered why Renly didn't have black hair in the show.

I just used that as an example -killing any potential heir in general was my overall point there. You don't want to win the throne thru war but leave potential heirs behind that could put together an army later on and come back on you. That's why Robert wanted to kill the two remaining Targ children and was keeping an eye on them.

Well, that and I think he still wanted more revenge for what the Targs did to Neds sister.

It's amusing how GOT has changed pre conceived notions on incest. "Banging your aunt who's a little older?" All good " "banging your cousin who's younger" that ain't right. Lol

Well he was raised as Sansa's brother, they've always known each other as brother and sister, he's never met Dany. Also, I think Dany is younger than Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back