"Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become Germanized ?!" - Ben Franklin

The lions share of the blame goes to the Anglo Saxon Community treating Italians like dog shit due to their ethnic/religious difference. They were segregated into slums and their work opportunities dramatically reduced. It's no small wonder a people are going to turn to crime to survive.

The Italian mob wouldn't have boomed the way it did if the Italians were allowed to integrate into society with everyone else from the start.
Lol the Italians weren't forced into slums anymore than any other ethnic group and they were never "forced" into any crime.

Discrimination sucks but unless the group discriminating uses their power to prohibit a group from employment or something, they can't really affect the economic standing or the discriminated group

And I'm not aware of any anti-Italian laws that impoverished them.

Just came to see people arguing against racism with racist stereotypes about the races they are defending. Was not disappointed

The lions share of the blame goes to the Anglo Saxon Community treating Italians like dog shit due to their ethnic/religious difference. They were segregated into slums and their work opportunities dramatically reduced. It's no small wonder a people are going to turn to crime to survive.

The Italian mob wouldn't have boomed the way it did if the Italians were allowed to integrate into society with everyone else from the start.

Even if that were exactly as you say (it wasn't), my point would still stand.

I don't get what point is being made here? Pittsburgh is overrun by immigrants or something?
It was destroyed by the Germans in the early 1800s and has never recovered.

This is why Muslims are scary.

It was destroyed by the Germans in the early 1800s and has never recovered.

This is why Muslims are scary.

I'm half German half Irish so my ancestors destroyed it and I have to live with the result of their actions.

Here's the difference. Germans immigrated here, whereas blacks were forced he from Africa via slavery, and most Mexicans view the southwest as stolen land.
The reason Europeans assimilated is because they all came here willingly.

It's also why Jews, Indians, and Asians prosper and assimilate here in the US - because they wanted to become American !

Do think assimilation should be a united front between both parties and there's a lot of danger in politicizing it. We already have a very polarized country compared to 20 years ago. We don't need to further that by trying to create divisions with immigrants. That can be done in two ways though. Being outright anti immigrant or being anti assimilation and keeping that group from becoming a part of the society. Both are dangerous imo

It was a joke about Pittsburgh being a dump lol

I think we talk about Pitt before and remember your view about it. Fair enough. I can't say I know many other cities as I've stayed relatively in the same area. If I compare it to other small cities I've been to though, I dont usually see a big difference negatively.

Lol the Italians weren't forced into slums anymore than any other ethnic group and they were never "forced" into any crime.

Discrimination sucks but unless the group discriminating uses their power to prohibit a group from employment or something, they can't really affect the economic standing or the discriminated group

And I'm not aware of any anti-Italian laws that impoverished them.

The only thing to LOL about is your poor grasp of American history.

http://dailybuzzlive.com/italian-german-irish-american-immigrants/

588a3afb1700001b002d8ae8.png

588a3b0f17000024001d0929.jpg

main-qimg-82b793088dbfe2ad5b4ef9658fd3e842

italians-not-wanted.jpg

The TS Himself even posted a hint of the general prejudice among Anglo's to Migrants i don't why it would seem far fetched given its right there when you opened this thread. Franklin went even further and remarked that Germans had a "Negro demeanor" and tint to their skin.

The only thing to LOL about is your poor grasp of American history.

http://dailybuzzlive.com/italian-german-irish-american-immigrants/

588a3afb1700001b002d8ae8.png

588a3b0f17000024001d0929.jpg

main-qimg-82b793088dbfe2ad5b4ef9658fd3e842

italians-not-wanted.jpg

The TS Himself even posted a hint of the general prejudice among Anglo's to Migrants i don't why it would seem far fetched given its right there when you opened this thread. Franklin went even further and remarked that Germans had a "Negro demeanor" and tint to their skin.
Those are private business owners discriminating, completely different from using government to actually legally stop people from getting a job.

Blacks were also discriminated but retained remarkably low unemployment rates until the 50s or 60s

I wasn't force as an American via slavery. I immigrated. Quit bunching all of us together. Also, under your premise, aren't all natural-born Americans "forced" to be Americans?

lol I love this. Lots of pushy vaginas popping out Americans that will one day become tribal assholes out of resentment. Would completely explain some of the posters on Sherdog.

Germans living stateside were actually treated like dog shit by the US Government and larger part of the citizenry in light of the hysteria brought on by World War I. There was a concentrated effort to crush the culture and thriving 'Little Germania' enclaves prevalent all throughout the Northern/Midwest United States at the time and reduce them to tattered remnants with several lynchings even taking place. That effort largely succeeded and is a big reason why most German-Americans have no connection to their homeland of origin today, particularly if their families were in the US prior to that.

Which is interesting, because way back in the founding of The United States, America was only six votes away from speaking German. Germans were plentiful in the beginning.

Europe has seen muslim immigration for well over 50yrs now.
Germany has seen big immigration waves from Poland (late 1800s),Southern Europe incl. Turkey (early 1950s) & Eastern Europe (1970s &80s).All of them have integrated well after early Problems.
Just one group still hasnt integrated: Turks/Arabs
I wonder what the difference between Turks/Arabs and those other immigrant groups could be..............

Here's the difference. Germans immigrated here, whereas blacks were forced he from Africa via slavery, and most Mexicans view the southwest as stolen land.
The reason Europeans assimilated is because they all came here willingly.

It's also why Jews, Indians, and Asians prosper and assimilate here in the US - because they wanted to become American !
Indians are highly self selected. Asians and Jews don't have the historical and psychological baggage of the Black and Native American expereince. Asians did face discrimination but they came here voluntarily and weren't treated remotely as bad as Blacks and Native peoples were.

Back